Ferrari Life Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
We all have the "one(s) that got away" stories. Back in my 30s I was looking to by a 246 and found 3 at Los Gatos Ferarri. Went and examined the cars and talked to the salesmen. I was going to wait a year and then pull the trigger; well the .com implosion happened a few months later, and by the time I recovered from that fiasco, prices were north of 400k. I was also offered a black 1955 or 1956, don't recollect which exact yearnow, 300SL for $160,000. At that time the cars were going for about $200,000; so it was a good deal. I passed on it for reasons, which off course I later regretted.

·
Registered
16 Posts
In the late 1990's, I received an insurance settlement that would have paid me through university and left enough over to buy my dream car, Ferrari F40. These were changing hands then for well under 200k GBP. I was about to sign the paperwork when my father managed to talk me out of it and put the money into stocks and shares. Shortly after that, dot com boom then bust happened. Pretty much the whole amount disappeared and I was left with just enough money to buy a 12 year old Porsche 911 with the steering wheel on the wrong side. (About 15k GBP at the time). How much would that F40 be worth today??

·
Registered
434 Posts
In the late 1990's, I received an insurance settlement that would have paid me through university and left enough over to buy my dream car, Ferrari F40. These were changing hands then for well under 200k GBP. I was about to sign the paperwork when my father managed to talk me out of it and put the money into stocks and shares. Shortly after that, dot com boom then bust happened. Pretty much the whole amount disappeared and I was left with just enough money to buy a 12 year old Porsche 911 with the steering wheel on the wrong side. (About 15k GBP at the time). How much would that F40 be worth today??
Well, I also have a 56' 190SL. My mechanic tried to get me to buy a 300 SL Gullwing for $160,000 around 1998; a good price then as they were going for around $200,000. The couple who owned the car where getting too old to get in/out of the gullwing. I declined though I did have the money in my retirement account. Well guess what? DOT COM CRASH. Lost most of my retirement in there. Had I bough the car it, I would have built years of wonderful memories and increased the value 10x. I don't use the word investment as for me cars are a love and passion; I don't invest I partake in the experience. The lie that the financial interest (read banks) tell you is don't touch your money in your retirement account. After that I don't blink about using money in the retirement account if I want to.
The F40 are about $2,000,000 US or 1.5 mil british pounds.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Had a chance to buy a 246 when they were at their lowest point. And chickened out.
But the one that still stings is a Maserati Khamsin that I could have had for the price of a mechanic’s lien (~$3000).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts