Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really haven't been liking the new shapes of the new Ferrari's. Since the Enzo, it seems, they are all a bit, well, ugly -- for a Ferrari, that is.

The back side really bothers me, and the fronts do too. Alot of nice design aspects are still visible, but not as powerful as they used to be with a full nice design.

This is just an opinion, but I hope Ferrari will keep making the beatiful cars I know and love. :cry:

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
I tend to agree that modern car designs have been, for the most part, so wind tunnel reliant that the overall visual effect is too feminine (although I do refer to my cars as shes).:wink:

There used to be a time when cars were drawn up in unique and pleasing shapes and it was left to the engine to propel them to whatever speeds they were intended to travel at.

As a Ferrari enthusiast, a part of me looks back to the days when the headlights were fender mounted and the front grill presented a menacing grin. 8)

·
Registered
30 Posts
yep

I agree, but the designs and prototypes always are a bit OTT arnt they. Once they decide to start production they make a few changes here and there, im not saying Ferrari in particular just car makers in general.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know about that, but I am even displeased with the 430. I don't like the tailight placement. It used to seem to me, at least, that more passion went into making the cars. Now it seems like they make a shape they know gets attention but they don't make it unique -- I think.

·
Registered
51 Posts
It's an interesting debate, that's for sure. One thing I agree with is that the wind tunnel has WAY too much influence on the shape of a car nowadays. Just create a nice looking original car, whatever the shape. If it looks like a brick, just shove a big engine in it!

Oh wait, that must be the muscle car guy in me talking... :D

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Muscle car?

Now you're talking horsepower! 8)

·
Registered
13 Posts
old ferraris

Debate indeed. After the 328, the 348 was a baby testarossa. The best looking Ferrari made was the 355 and sounding. The mondial is nice but you would never believe Ferrari made it or that ugly 400-412. The 360 is a combination of everything good Ferrari ever made. The 360 has the rounded shape and buttress, but it looks like a Base Ford Probe just lower and wider. LOL

·
Registered
30 Posts
lol

LOL. Now you've done it people will try to convert Probe's now like they did with that Toyota MR2, Shocking. :D

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
Re: old ferraris

mikerlx said:
The 360 has the rounded shape and buttress, but it looks like a Base Ford Probe just lower and wider. LOL
:lol: If you see a 250LM next to a 360 you can see the inspiration.
I see that someone has already made a kit to make a replica 360 from a Peugeot !! http://www.extreme-sportscars.com/360/home_360.htm

Attachments

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
FerrariKiller said:
I really haven't been liking the new shapes of the new Ferrari's. Since the Enzo, it seems, they are all a bit, well, ugly -- for a Ferrari, that is.

The back side really bothers me, and the fronts do too. Alot of nice design aspects are still visible, but not as powerful as they used to be with a full nice design.

This is just an opinion, but I hope Ferrari will keep making the beatiful cars I know and love. :cry:
I think the core of the issue is that Ferraris today look very different from the classic designs. Many of what we consider the beautiful classic cars today were viewed a bit more radically when they were first introduced. It will be interesting to see how the market/enthusiasts view the 360 etc in 10 - 15 years. My guess is that the 360 will be viewed as the starting point of a bold new design era.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Marlin im not going to be able to sleep now you have told me about the Peugeot kit. lol

Steve

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
Thats what I thought. I bet you won't be able to tell the difference. I think I've seen one based on an MR2 as well. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Its all shocking. Imagine taking your Ferrari for a service at the local Toyota or Peugeot garage. You'll look stupid.

It would be a pretty reliable, cheap to run Ferrari though, Ferrari with a 2.0 TDI engine or something :roll: . But I just could'nt drive about with a Ferrari badge on a car that isnt a Ferrari.

I think its only a matter of time till people start to put Hummer H2 badges on Izuzu Trooper's, lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Imitation is the highest form of flattery I believe is the phrase I am looking for!

I am a massive ferrari fan, but accept that I am never going to be in a position to spend a ferrari level of cash on a car. I make up for this by having a 308 replica on a pontiac fiero (2.8V6) and my current build which is an extreme 355 on an MR2. As soon as the 355 is done I will be selling the 308 & starting the Extreme 360.

I dont have any problem with driving a replica & if asked about it, always tell people proudly that I built it.

The kit manufacturers have been very careful with the legal side of things and it appears they are operating within the law.

The 360 replica will never have the amazing sound track that the original has, but the Peugeot 3L V6 doesnt do too bad with the correct exhaust system. Also I bet none of you 360 owners can take the entire engine, frame, airboxes etc out in under 2 minutes including the engine firewall & raise the rear seats for when you need to take passengers!!

God I can see you all cringing now in disgust - Yep a 2 seater mid engined 360 for weekend & a 4 seater for weekdays!

·
Registered
509 Posts
drew355 said:
Imitation is the highest form of flattery I believe is the phrase I am looking for!

I am a massive ferrari fan, but accept that I am never going to be in a position to spend a ferrari level of cash on a car. I make up for this by having a 308 replica on a pontiac fiero (2.8V6) and my current build which is an extreme 355 on an MR2. As soon as the 355 is done I will be selling the 308 & starting the Extreme 360.

I dont have any problem with driving a replica & if asked about it, always tell people proudly that I built it.
I guess Ive never thought of it that way ... I guess something has to count for having built the thing. Granted its not a ferrari, nor will it ever be one, but using your hands to copy something beutiful might be gratifying.

drew355 said:
Also I bet none of you 360 owners can take the entire engine, frame, airboxes etc out in under 2 minutes including the engine firewall & raise the rear seats for when you need to take passengers!!

God I can see you all cringing now in disgust - Yep a 2 seater mid engined 360 for weekend & a 4 seater for weekdays!
Thats rediculous, but I cant say Im surprised. It wont ever be a two seater mid engined car. It will always be a front engined replica with a bulge behind the two front seats (on top of the two back seats) designed and painted to like an engine.

My only objection is that the looks arent the only part of a ferrari, nor will they ever be the only thing that distinguishes the car from other brands. A replica will never embody those aspects of a ferrari, neither will a lamborghini, or anything else.

·
Registered
509 Posts
drew355,

by the way, welcome to the forum!!! Ha, dont mean to pick on you, just my opinion. welcome to the forum, hopefully we wont scare you away.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
well personally I'd rather buy a cheap other nice car than to build a replica, it has the same lines, but not the soul. Welcome here ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Funky, no probs, no offence taken! :D

I appreciate the whole package is what makes the ferrari, I can only manage to replicate the looks of the car on my budget though. The feeling when you are driving something you created goes some way to making up for the fact that its only as fast & only handles as well as most hot hatches.

As I said I am a huge ferrari fan & my grandparents are italian so I have grown up worshipping the great enzo. The whole ferrari package is what I would love to be a part of & this is as close as I am likely to get.

Do you lot have any get togethers?? I would love to see how far I got before someone spotted me as a fake!! :wink:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts