Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 550 is the fastest production car of the twentieth century.

When the accident report asked me the years of experience I had driving, I wrote four days. This was after I totaled my mother’s pride and joy, her 1958 tri-power Oldsmobile convertible on ice. This was when I figure out that cars can do great damage to things.

Later, I did my first spin. It was on a two-lane road with twisties. The left side was straight down and the right side was a vertical rock wall of a hillside. Landing in the passenger’s foot well with my foot still pushing the brake, I realize I did a 540° spin. I was on the road facing uphill. Now I understood force against the body can cause problems, maybe even a permanent one.

During most of my adult life, I drove daily on the finest system of moving humans on the planet Earth. Driving 40,000 miles per year was not unusual. I always drove a sled. Everything could pass me with power. With my driving skill, I could pass them in traffic.

Now, in my old times, I get to drive the beast. Joy, oh joy. Never do I push it anywhere near its limit. Carp, I get nervous in first gear. It does everything I ask it to do. Sure, anyone can break the speed limit. The legal speed is only a very small faction of the dial. Since it tops out at 203 to 204 mph*, the speedometer goes to 220 mph. I have 2 points in the California system of grading drivers.

Darn, it is so much fun. Some of you may have a thing, which may think it could pass me on the freeways. Sure, anyone can break the speed limit.

This is a game I play while moving on the freeways. Try it. It is so much fun. I do not use my brakes to control my speed. The toy has torque, which slows me when needed. First does slow me down. Heck, I have six speeds to choose. I can bypass some gears if I wish. The paddles cannot do this. Torque is the KING. On a busy roadway, this is gives much enjoyment. Of course, using torque going up is much fun also.

:)

*Dynometered at Evosports in Huntington Beach. They said this was my top speed since the engine is so loose (50,000 miles or so) at the time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
=) just a question...

When the accident report asked me the years of experience I had driving, I wrote four days. This was after I totaled my mother’s pride and joy, her 1958 tri-power Oldsmobile convertible on ice. This was when I figure out that cars can do great damage to things.

Later, I did my first spin. It was on a two-lane road with twisties. The left side was straight down and the right side was a vertical rock wall of a hillside. Landing in the passenger’s foot well with my foot still pushing the brake, I realize I did a 540° spin. I was on the road facing uphill. Now I understood force against the body can cause problems, maybe even a permanent one.

During most of my adult life, I drove daily on the finest system of moving humans on the planet Earth. Driving 40,000 miles per year was not unusual. I always drove a sled. Everything could pass me with power. With my driving skill, I could pass them in traffic.

Now, in my old times, I get to drive the beast. Joy, oh joy. Never do I push it anywhere near its limit. Carp, I get nervous in first gear. It does everything I ask it to do. Sure, anyone can break the speed limit. The legal speed is only a very small faction of the dial. Since it tops out at 203 to 204 mph*, the speedometer goes to 220 mph. I have 2 points in the California system of grading drivers.

Darn, it is so much fun. Some of you may have a thing, which may think it could pass me on the freeways. Sure, anyone can break the speed limit.

This is a game I play while moving on the freeways. Try it. It is so much fun. I do not use my brakes to control my speed. The toy has torque, which slows me when needed. First does slow me down. Heck, I have six speeds to choose. I can bypass some gears if I wish. The paddles cannot do this. Torque is the KING. On a busy roadway, this is gives much enjoyment. Of course, using torque going up is much fun also.

*Dynometered at Evosports in Huntington Beach. They said this was my top speed since the engine is so loose (50,000 miles or so) at the time.

Have you never wanted to get a 575? (or a 599.. nowadays)

·
Registered
3,928 Posts

The 550 is a fine machine and no doubt very swift for a GT cruiser. No offence intended, but, weren't the Maclaren F1 (c.1993) and Bugatti EB111 (c.1995) faster? I'm sure these were made in sufficient numbers to be called production cars even if they were intended for the track rather than the highway;) The Zonda was probably around last century too.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A 575 is a pumped up 550. The 599 is the current finest vehicle of this millennium.

Those cars are not production automobiles. Sorry.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FIA says 500 cars per year makes a production car. The Enzo did not make it to 500 in total production.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Yes, the 550 is a true beast.:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts