Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife took this photo laying down on the ground. I think with the amount of sky she has left there is plenty of room to put "www.ferrariforum.net"

Andrew and Dirk, I have posted this picture as it was presented to me. This is the highest quality picture I currently have the technology to produce. What do you guys think of this photo? Regardless of composition, is the quality OK?

Bob, Bazil, 360Spyder, What are your thoughts? I think it is a pretty decent photo. It would be nice if the sky were blue, but that's the way the day turned out.

Edit ---Oops, the pic is too big to post. It was 1600X1200 and 400 KB. I have resized it to 640 by 480 to post. Let me know your thoughts.

Attachments

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Best thing to do is send the pic via an email or the FTP. I would retake this exact same picture in 2 months when those trees have leaves and the sky is clear. Then you'll have a killer photo.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Enzo250GTO said:
Best thing to do is send the pic via an email or the FTP. I would retake this exact same picture in 2 months when those trees have leaves and the sky is clear. Then you'll have a killer photo.
Ok, will do. The property belongs to my sister-in-law so I have access to it year round.

·
Registered
776 Posts
What Andrew said! Wait till the trees are green and the sky is clear.
But as is it is still a good picture.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I think it kicks ass now, without those leaves, it gives a more dramatic look, blue skys and leaves look nice too, but with such a low show I would take it with this weather, only next time:
make sure your girl lays exact in the middle of the car, now she is more to the front,
and make sure the horizon is horizontal, the front is standing higher than the back now.

But those are things I would change, ifyou like them that way, leave them that way, it is your pic. Best is just to take a drive and park it on all kinds of places and shoot like 15-20 pics at eaah place, then you can see at home what turns out nice

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dr. Bob said:
Best is just to take a drive and park it on all kinds of places and shoot like 15-20 pics at eaah place, then you can see at home what turns out nice
That's what we did yesterday. I think she took about 10 photos before I noticed there was a smudge on the lens. You don't even want to see those photos. It would be better to wait a couple of months but I want a pic now! I hate waiting! The trees need leaves, the sky needs to be blue, the camera wasn't exactly level, the fender needs a little more polish, AAAARGH! It is very hard to take the perfect picture.

This gives me a new respect for the professionals like Dirk.

·
Registered
770 Posts
To me - and please know this is only personal opinion - there's a couple of things that could be done to make it look a bit better.

1) Turn the car round. We read from left to right - and unfortunately, that also means that photographic composition needs to take account of this. Pictures which are composed to be "read" from left to right generally work better.

2) Make sure the ground level is absolutely horizontal - the picture will look more balanced.

3) Raise the viewing level just a fraction - simply to get rid of the black stripe under the car - where you're actually looking at the underneath.

4) Move the viewing point so that you can't see the dark area behind and above the seats - probably a little to the rear of the centre of the car.

5) Crop it even tighter to the bottom - so you've got less grass showing.

Sorry this sounds like I've slaughtered it - I don't mean to - it's already a really nice shot. The exposure is excellent.

I don't actually mind the sky - although it'd probably look very nice with a rich blue sky, I think it's nice that the sky doesn't detract from the car as it is.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Pete04222 said:
It is very hard to take the perfect picture.

This gives me a new respect for the professionals like Dirk.
Absolutely - I'd love to be able to take better pictures. It's easy to criticise - but I'm not saying I can do better!!! :green:

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bazil said:
It's easy to criticise - but I'm not saying I can do better!!! :green:
Actually, the critcism is helping. No one has just said, "it sucks". There are tips on how to make it better and I will utilise them.

It is hard to actually "pose" a car. With a person you can just ask them to move over a bit. With a car you have to get in, start it up, move it, and then get back out and check.

·
Registered
770 Posts
It certainly doesn't suck - far from it.

I know what you mean about posing the car - that's a real pain.

I guess people like Dirk would see all the stuff we see when we see the picture - when he's actually taking the shot. That's quite depressing!!!

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Even the best pics are not perfect. Look closely at pics you love, and you will notice that there are things that are not perfect.

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
I think Dirk's motif is the track. Not much posing as the car zips by at 100mph. "Uhum, excuse me, when you go around the turn again next time can you just slide the backend a little more?"

I think Bazil clearly gave a full review.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Pete04222 said:
It is hard to actually "pose" a car. With a person you can just ask them to move over a bit. With a car you have to get in, start it up, move it, and then get back out and check.
Take a Fiat 500, I did that some time ago, If you blow hard enough it starts to roll :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts