Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
That is cool. I like how the key fob almost goes horizontal.

What does the computer in the car do? Is it just monitoring and recording data or does it actually control anything?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pete,

Great question! Installed the Pioneer AVIC-1 head unit as it had GPS (i hate maps or reading directions). As an added bonus, the unit uses GPS and accelerometers to measure G-forces, speed, etc. Alas, it does not record now allow downloading, but i can see (or video record) the forces while driver and it does have a MAX reading that stays on (except speed MPH).

At this point i am pulling about 1.1+ G at turns R/L and she can brake at 1.2+G. Acceleration is a slow .6G or so (the 308 is a dog of a car). These are with regular street rubber (Mich Pilot Sport PS2). These should go up (except acceleration) this coming Thursday as will have my first taste of using the Mich Pilot Cup R-Compound rubber on track :)

Debated getting a comprehensive GPS-based recording system, but with my lack of talent those funs are best used elsewhere for now... but i may change my mind mid-season.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Very nice equipment! It would be nice to get your acceleration higher, but yeah, the 308 ain't no 1/4 mile car. It's all top end. But I think steering and stopping is what is going to let you safely go fast, not acceleration. Too many people build hot cars concentrating on the "Go" before they even think about the "Whoa".

Personally, I like to be able to stop. I'm not worried about going fast, got the gearing, got the horsepower, it WILL get there. To be able to de-accelerate at 1.2 g without locking them up, now that is impressive. Can't wait to hear about your experiences with the new rubber.

By the way Steve, your video forced me to add your name to the list of people who will never drive my car. :)

See ya soon!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pete04222 said:
...Personally, I like to be able to stop. I'm not worried about going fast, got the gearing, got the horsepower, it WILL get there. To be able to de-accelerate at 1.2 g without locking them up, now that is impressive. Can't wait to hear about your experiences with the new rubber.
Agreed, too many people forget about woe. The beefed up/tuneable suspension is allowing for good side G's too.

FYI: you probably know, but for others, the large Brembo 4-piston fronts have pads have a coefficient of friction at around 0.50 while to balance it all, the smaller rears needed Ferodo DS3000 pads that have a 0.62 coefficient of friction. Needless to say, i get A LOT of brake dust and chew through rotors, but DAMN she can stop and modulation/feel is VERY good.

By the way Steve, your video forced me to add your name to the list of people who will never drive my car. :)
(Said in good, friendly humor) [email protected]! ;)

Stop by NHIS (Louden, NH) on Thursday morning from 8 to 12pm, April 27. Be glad to take you on a few laps around the track. Bring helmet if you have one and wear a minimum of longsleeve shit and long pants (cotton please, NO poly/plastic).

Oh, and make sure you have flushed your brake fluid with Motul 600 for me will ya :)

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
enjoythemusic said:
Stop by NHIS (Louden, NH) on Thursday morning from 8 to 12pm, April 27. Be glad to take you on a few laps around the track. Bring helmet if you have one and wear a minimum of longsleeve shit and long pants (cotton please, NO poly/plastic).

Oh, and make sure you have flushed your brake fluid with Motul 600 for me will ya :)
Steve, I can actually make that date! Do you want me to bring my Ferrari and put it on the track or you want to give me a ride in yours? I've been driving my car, in fact I just took it out for a spirited drive with my wife this evening, but I haven't given it the "once over" if you know what I mean. You'd probably be more comfortable in your car.

I'd love it. I don't have a racing suit but I do have some work clothes that will prevent me from sustaining flame and a DOT motorcycle helmet to prevent my brains from being bashed in.

If we are done at noon I'd be glad to take you out to lunch before I head back to Maine.

Of course I'll bring my camera.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pete04222 said:
Steve, I can actually make that date! Do you want me to bring my Ferrari and put it on the track or you want to give me a ride in yours? .
Pete, that is GREAT news. Bring your car and we will see, but odds are we will simply use my car (you as passenger and you MUST have a competition license).

I've been driving my car, in fact I just took it out for a spirited drive with my wife this evening, but I haven't given it the "once over" if you know what I mean. You'd probably be more comfortable in your car.
Well, PLEASE bring you car and yes, will use my car for track. The work clothes and a DOT motorcycle helmet will do nicely.

If we are done at noon I'd be glad to take you out to lunch before I head back to Maine.
A most humble thanks. Free food :)

There is a lunch place at the track (typical track food) and need to stay at track for after lunch work on the car and trailer check. You see, have a HUGE four consecutive day track event starting May 1 at Watkins Glen.

Of course I'll bring my camera.
Sweet!

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Sounds Great! I checked on Mapquest and it should take me around 2.5 hours to get to NHIS. That will be my longest Ferrari drive to date. Weather is supposed to cooperate. Not sure if my wife will come with me or not, she may have to work.

I'll give you a call Monday night to firm everything up and get a time and place to meet. I believe I have your current home phone - last 2 digits 88?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts