Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My guess is, the lowest-priced Ferraris aren't necessarily the easiest to maintain. Please correct me if I'm wrong, though!

So, excluding budget from the equation, what is the best "first" Ferrari to have? I'm sure the answer isn't set in stone, which is why I want a discussion! ;)

What's your take on it?

I'm pretty sure that if I get one, it will definitely be a straight manual. I have never had experience with a Ferrari F1 transmission (or ANY Ferrari transmission), but I can't see myself liking it. Even if it performs better, maybe it's just the mentality of having absolute control (even if it's slower control) over the engine.

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
The best first Ferrari is the one that makes your heart skip a beat and makes you break a sweat when you open the garage door and makes you grin from ear to ear when you look at it and drive it…everything else is just…well, not important. If you’re willing to fulfill your dreams, you will pay whatever you can to keep it in running order, then that is the best first Ferrari.

I on the other hand am willing to pay up to 10K a year to keep it running if I have to. If it costs more…then it does. I plan for everything so if it costs me 5K for 2 years to maintain it, I still have 15K to carry over for anything that could happen. This way, I will not worry about the if’s…

We all make choices in life, for some it’s just to say “I have one” and others it’s “will do anything to keep it” It all depends on your love and heroin like addiction to Ferrari’s.

If you buy a Ferrari based on cost of ownership, then you will never be truly happy about not owning the first Ferrari of your dreams.

~

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Is there really a best first Ferrari? Everyone has their own opinion about what is best, budget probably plays a big part, and what are you buying for? Tracking, twisty country lanes or cruising along the freeway or possibly posing around town (if it's the latter I hear there is a rather nice Orange 360 in Florida that will certainly get you lots of attention;) )
I can only go on what most people said to me, based on my own budget and annual maintenance budget. 328 GTS or GTB, rock solid reliability for a ferrari and reasonable performance for a car 18 - 22 yrs old. The classic shape ferrari, everyone knows what it is.
I took this advice and haven't been disappointed, even after a year I still go into to my garage to have a look at those gorgeous pinifarina lines and to sniff the smell of the oil, gas, grease. I'm not sure why my Audi doesn't have a smell, whereas the 328 does, but it's intoxicating. After I've been out for a drive, my wife tells me I smell like a mechanic !!!!
I dare say that after you've owned your first Ferrari, you'll probably be looking for the second, so does it really matter if you don't get what you want first time, at least you've made a step in the right direction.
Go for it while you still can and don't have any regrets.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I read that magazine, and wow! I knew Ferraris were high maintenance, but had no idea that so much $$ had to go into just maintaining one. I think I'm still having trouble wrapping my head around the whole idea of a car just going wrong all by itself... so frequently.

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
It’s because they sit and “rot” instead of being driven. Ask Boxer, he will tell you…

Something about an F40 and Europe....hahaha!!!!!

~

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
It’s because they sit and “rot” instead of being driven. Ask Boxer, he will tell you…

Something about an F40 and Europe....hahaha!!!!!

~
Not sure I follow, my F40 certainly does not sit. I have put 5000 km on it in the last 6 months.

Many others do however. When someone does decide to take an F40, which has been sitting for years back out on the road, they can be looking at $25k plus in recommisioning costs.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
I read that magazine, and wow! I knew Ferraris were high maintenance, but had no idea that so much $$ had to go into just maintaining one. I think I'm still having trouble wrapping my head around the whole idea of a car just going wrong all by itself... so frequently.
Ferruccio, so far that is not my experience of Ferrari ownership. Sure it has cost more to service than a run of the mill car, but I haven't needed to call on a rich uncle for assistance. I reckon Servicing, maintenance, insurance and road tax has cost me 1500 GBP / 3000 USD in the last 12 months. That's a price worth paying:)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's slightly more reassuring. So, what was the likely culprit for the vehicle mentioned in the Ferrari Life issue? I just can't imagine any vehicle needing that much servicing, except for boats and airplanes. Maybe some spaceships ;)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can't seem to edit my post...

Anyway, the key is to just keep it in use? The only experience my family has had with an Italian car was an old 1970s Fiat convertible. It sat in the garage for years and became useless.

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Not sure I follow, my F40 certainly does not sit. I have put 5000 km on it in the last 6 months.

Many others do however. When someone does decide to take an F40, which has been sitting for years back out on the road, they can be looking at $25k plus in recommisioning costs.
I was replying to Ferruccio when he said “so much can go wrong by itself…so frequently”

This is because instead of Ferrari’s being driven, they sit and “rot” and I told him to ask you about your F40 in Europe…and I quote…

“We covered over 2000 kilometers, and did it in what has to be one of the greatest cars ever built. Not once during the trip did the F40 so much as even cough. We both commented that it was running more cleanly and stronger by the end of the trip. The F40 is clearly one Prancing Horse that should be given the opportunity to run long and hard.”

Is it me or…did everyone see what he wrote….umm, let's read it one more time...“it was running more cleanly and stronger…”

Ferrari’s are meant to be driven, not parked all the time…hell, ask Bart, he drives his everyday rain or shine and I don’t think he has complained about it being an unreliable car…

~

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So what was the deal with the 550 maranello story in the issue I read? It seemed to have substantial miles on it.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
A 328 GTB is one you'll end up keeping.:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
A 328 GTB is one you'll end up keeping.:)
The 328 - especially the 88 versions, are the ultimate evolution of the 308 engine and drive train. The 348 line started in 1989 and ultimately became the 355/360/430 series without enough time to sort out all the gremlins between models. I drove my 88.5, 3.2 Mondial Cab 10,000+ kms. last year without a problem. Tell me that isn't a trouble-free Ferrari! That's with all the USA EPA crap on it working properly!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts