Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am not a Ferrari expert, but the months I spent on this forum made a lasting impression on me that the 308 is a very special Ferrari. There is also this love for the F355, but every conversation ends with 'keep the 308'.
Is the 308 given any privileges on this forum or have I got the wrong impression?
If the 308 is your favorite ferrari, please explain the reasons.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
the 308 is good, but here in the forum it gets too much attention because Pete has one, and he is a spammer! hehehehehe

anyway, I prefer the F355, but I guess everyone always says "keep the 308" because it has a very good cost/benefict relation

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Vectra, I think that you'll find a lot of regular contributors to the forum are 308 owners, so maybe some bias there;)

I have to add, that I love the 308 too. Although I have a 328, I regard it as the 308 Mk2. In some ways I actually prefer the design of the 308, the deep front spoiler makes it look more masculine than the 328, I think it also looks more aggresive, the 288 GTO owes far more to the 308 than the 328.

Whichever way you look at it the 308/328 & 355 are all great Ferrari's and all have their own fan clubs. I'd have them all if I had the space and the money.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Whichever way you look at it the 308/328 & 355 are all great Ferrari's and all have their own fan clubs. I'd have them all if I had the space and the money.
and don't forget about the F40 ;-)

but I find it interesting how the older Ferrari fans think the cars from the 70s/80s are the best (308, 328, GTO, F40), while the "kids" prefer the Enzo, F430 and Challenge Stradale

I'd take the F40 over the Enzo anyday, I guess I have an old spirit hehehehehe

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts

but I find it interesting how the older Ferrari fans think the cars from the 70s/80s are the best (308, 328, GTO, F40), while the "kids" prefer the Enzo, F430 and Challenge Stradale

If you had an Enzo and sold it you could buy 2 F-40's. :) (well almost)

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
The 308 is not given any special privileges on this forum.

To me the 308 is special, I think it is popular because the 308 is the most affordable Ferrari and the most instantly recognisable Ferrari and it has a design that is just timeless. I think 308 owners have the car because it was to acheive a dream, it was for love of the car. Like many, I first saw the car on Magnum PI and fell in love with it. I was going to have that car one day and people would tell me I could never afford a Ferrari. So buying it was a life milestone for me. I did something people told me I couldn't do.

But the car is just awesome. It drives like it is on rails. It is like driving a go-cart. It is fun. It is very affordable to keep and maintain. I like the 348 and the 355 and I've thought about maybe trading up someday but then I think, you know? What is either of those cars going to do for me that the 308 doesn't do? Plus I like the 4 Webber 2-bbls. Can't get that on either of the others. :) So in the end, if I do get another Ferrari it will be in addition to the 308, not as a replacement. I'll "keep the 308." :)

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
308 is an automotive benchmark.
'nuff said.:)

·
Registered
594 Posts
Pete more or less just wrote my reply for me there :)

You'll see in another thread that I have thought about selling the 308 to change to another Ferrari. Although I may actually do this at some point I know I will end up again with another 308.

Like Pete it was The Ferrari I always saved for, so it will always hold a special place for me. They are easy to keep to.

The 2 other dream Ferrari's for me are the 355 and the F40. Now I know I'll never have an F40 but at least I can follow Boxers dream with his.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts

I think with me it's an age thing, I'm the big Four - ohhh later this year:( and I grew up loving the boxers, 308/328's and TR's because they were the ultimate dream cars for every kid. I was 20 when the F40 was launched and it was quite simply the best machine ever built, completely out of reach for me, but for me nothing else will ever be top of my wish list.
My son is in love with the F-cars of his day, he loves Enzo's and 430's. I'm sure every generation is the same and loves the dream cars they grew up with.

So why are there so many 308 fans on here, I'm guessing that most of you are old farts like me;)

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Ok, I am not a Ferrari expert, but the months I spent on this forum made a lasting impression on me that the 308 is a very special Ferrari. There is also this love for the F355, but every conversation ends with 'keep the 308'.
Is the 308 given any privileges on this forum or have I got the wrong impression?
Yes, it is in the fine print when you first register.

On a slightly more serious note, having had the privilege of owning both a 308 GTB and a F355 GTS, it is the former that I prefer. The 308 is a great drivers car, wonderful steering, plenty of power, robust, and comfortable.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I love my 308, mainly because it's affordable, but I REALLY loved my 246, but since they are no longer affordable, the 308 is the closest thing to it, and actually the successor of the Dino, the FIRST in the series: 246, 308, 328, 348, 355, 360, 430, and of course, the fabulous 288s and F40s! (I haven't forgotten the 206 or 208) I would love to have a 360 or 430 but they're out of my price range, same goes for the 550, or any of the vintage beauties! Ciao! Dennis

·
Registered
2 Posts
308 gts

Is there anyone out their that has had ignition problems and changed to other brands? I have a 308 gts 1979. It runs smooth on the hwy but just popps all over the boards in town or at an idle.:confused:

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Is there anyone out their that has had ignition problems and changed to other brands? I have a 308 gts 1979. It runs smooth on the hwy but just popps all over the boards in town or at an idle.:confused:
Yes, I changed my '79 308 GTS from the stock points to the Crane Cams XR3000 ignition. Complete with new coils, wires and plugs I did it myself for around $500.

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Yes, I changed my '79 308 GTS from the stock points to the Crane Cams XR3000 ignition. Complete with new coils, wires and plugs I did it myself for around $500.
That is the only thing holding me back from buying a 308 is the ignition and having to convert it and it not working very well. The other and last issue is finding someone who can tune 4 carbs. If it wasn’t for that I would buy one today…

Another thing Pete…the XR3000 specs say it’s good for an rpm range of 6500. If in mot mistaking doesn’t it go to 7k (if you wanted) and what happens at 6500??? Does it cut out?

~

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
That is the only thing holding me back from buying a 308 is the ignition and having to convert it and it not working very well. The other and last issue is finding someone who can tune 4 carbs. If it wasn’t for that I would buy one today…

Another thing Pete…the XR3000 specs say it’s good for an rpm range of 6500. If in mot mistaking doesn’t it go to 7k (if you wanted) and what happens at 6500??? Does it cut out?
~
You are forgetting that the carb 308 does not have an 8 cylinder ignition, it has two 4 cylinder ignitions. The high RPMs is why Ferrari went with two distributors. With a single distributor the points would have to open and close 62,400 times every minute at 7,800 RPMs. They can't do that, the points will "float". With 2 distributors each set only needs to open and close 31,200 times a minute at 7,800 RPMs. The XR3000 ignition is rated at 6,500 RPMs for an 8 cylinder car, if you get two of them you are good to 13,000 RPMs. I can get my car to the redline (although I don't do it often) with no problems.

As for the carbs, once you set them they are good for a long time. I was going to set them myself but I found a guy who has experience with multiple carbs and had him do it after I changed the ignition. He charged me $300 to set up the carbs and time the distributors. He also aligned the front end and balanced the tires. That was 3 years ago. The car still starts and runs like a dream.

So if that is the only thing that is holding you back then go for it. Buy a car that looks and drives nice and at the first sign of trouble plan on putting a grand into it to make it run nice for the next 5 years.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
To me, the 308 saved Ferrari. Without it, the comapny may have gone the way most small sport car manufactors have. It is a great thing of beauty. As time goes on, its value goes up.

Hopefully, the future will see my car in the same way.

:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts