Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought i would put together a detailed write up on the old 355 favorite, the sticky throttle. The most common and deemed easyer fix is to clean and re lube the linkage under the engine bay header tank. This write up is about the servicing the more complex throttle pedal end:thumbsup:
If your cars linkage has never been cleaned then chances are that the original factory grease has now hardened and has the texture of wax:yikes: this siht is the cause of the sticky throttle. so it needs a thorough clean and re lube:thumbsup:

Tools.

2 x 13mm spanners.
1 x flat edge screwdriver.
1 x long nose pliers.
1 x cross head screwdriver.
Grease.

1/ There are 4 little cross head screws that need to be removed (pic 1)

2/ Picture 2 shows the main pivot nut and bolt that runs through the base of the pedal. This can be undone but can not be removed until the two base 13mm nuts are removed to allow the pivot bolt to be with drawn.
NOTE: In the pic all the hard waxy factory grease which causes the sticky throttle ;)

3/ In picture 3 you will see the rod that is connected to the base of the pedal and disappears into the carpet. There is a little split pin that has to be removed to allow the center section cap to be unscrewed with a screw driver. When this large screw head cap is removed, the rod which houses a cup. Can be removed from the ball joint which separates the pedal from the rod:thumbsup:

4/ The centre pivot bearing can now be removed/pushed out from the pedal (pic 4) and cleaned inside and out and re greased with a light coating of grease.

5/Now roll back the carpet. And you will see a linkage cover box. Remove the two 10mm nuts shown in picture 5.

6/Remove cover, and there is the linkage that will also be covered in the old hard grease. Picture 6 shows the linkage AFTER i have cleaned the old grease away, but it was caked up with siht.
There are two black spring clips (red arrows) that hold both the rod from the pedal and the cable to the ball joints. Remove the cable clip only, once removed the ball joint will come out of the cup.
Also remove the two 10mm nuts (yellow arrows) that hold the pivot body onto the cars bulkhead.

7/ Remove the pivot assembly and remove the center nut and bolt that holds the center bearing. Push out the bearing and clean the whole unit and re-grease. Picture 7.

8/ Now for the important bit. Once you have re assembled your newly cleaned and serviced throttle linkage. There may be a problem with high tick over once the engine is started. This is a simple problem with a simple fix.
See that little threaded bit at the end on the selector rod? (pic 8)... that has been screwed back on the rod so the over all length of the rod is now longer. Thus pressing the throttle linkage on the bulkhead a little. This threaded cup end has to unclipped from the ball and be screwed in a little so to shorten the rod a little. make sense?:thumbsup:

Job done:thumbsup: The throttle action is now perfectly creamy:thumbsup:
Its a shame that Rob Lay is so insecure about other links to other Ferrari forums being posted on his site. Because i know there will be alot of owners who want this information :laugh: So tell em its here:steeringwheel:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Nice job, Chaz.

I found myself accelerating through the dialogue to ensure I had a good overview.

Nice work.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
nice posting: appreciated

rik

·
Registered
183 Posts
Freakin awesome thread Chaz ........... :thumbsup:!!

I have used/printed a few of your 355 write-ups to maintain numerous items on my 355 :)!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Awsome post, just done my sticky throttle today, removed seat first ,didnt rush doing this and took about 3 hours and now is as smooth as silk.thanks for the post and look forward to any others you may have :thumbsup::crowngrin::thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts