Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Looking at those pics, there has been a lot of work into creating that car. Notice the "wing" windows in the doors, those had to be fabricated since the car didn't come with that configuration. I believe it was done to add strength to the windshield frame area and to help make the chassis more rigid. When you cut the roof out of a Testarossa, they become very "flexible" since the car was never designed to be a convertible. So extra bracing in several locations is needed to get back some chassis rigidity. I believe there were 2 or 3 companies that were doing TR convertibles...like Straman, etc. If I recall correctly Pininfarina did make ONE Testarossa convertible for Fiat boss Angelli.

These TR ragtops do look better with the top down....

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Looking at those pics, there has been a lot of work into creating that car. Notice the "wing" windows in the doors, those had to be fabricated since the car didn't come with that configuration. I believe it was done to add strength to the windshield frame area and to help make the chassis more rigid. When you cut the roof out of a Testarossa, they become very "flexible" since the car was never designed to be a convertible. So extra bracing in several locations is needed to get back some chassis rigidity. I believe there were 2 or 3 companies that were doing TR convertibles...like Straman, etc. If I recall correctly Pininfarina did make ONE Testarossa convertible for Fiat boss Angelli.

These TR ragtops do look better with the top down....
Excellent points, I was just about to post about the rigid loss in the chassis. I would imagine this car shakes a fair amount when hitting bumps, something that happens a lot in a Maserati Spider for example.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Excellent points, I was just about to post about the rigid loss in the chassis. I would imagine this car shakes a fair amount when hitting bumps, something that happens a lot in a Maserati Spider for example.
My 95 512M is a Straman. By 95 he had perfected his method of chopping TRs. My M shakes less than my factory 308 GTS or any Corvette convertible I have driven. It has virtually zero cowl shake. It has serious structural reinforcements added by Straman.

No idea about TRs done by other shops

Attachments

·
Registered
308 Posts
Wow, there are two air scoops located at the rear of the engine deck lid to grab the air stream coming over the car - that is cool! Wind tunnel tests showed this to be a high pressure area, and it's nice to see Straman take advantage of this.

I agree with Curtis63....it appears that A LOT OF DEVELOPMENT went into that car. I would love to see it in person and study the modifications. It's hard to improve on what the Ferrari factory did....but it appears Straman did indeed step things up a notch or two.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts