Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I joined this forum a few months ago. This is my first post. I do not own a ferrari, but I have always wanted one. I have been waiting for the right one to come along. I grew up watching Magnum PI so the 308 is especially appealing to me. I am also looking for the great deal, but then who isn't.
I found this ad and link on collectorcartrader.com. It just seemed too good to be true. I have attached the link to the end of this message. I email the guy and he tells me that the car is in DC. What do you think? Is this a hoax? Some one already tried to defraud me a few weeks ago when I was buying a BMW Z3. The old "send me the money and I will ship it to you" scheme. With this testarossa he wants the money (20%) sent to paypal. He claims they will hold it until I agree that I want the car.
I know it something sounds too good to be true, it is probably false. What do you guys think????????????

Michael Pillay

http://ferrari.freehosting.net/ferrariindex.htm

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
9700 for a Testarossa? If you don't want it for that price, I'll take it.

I think this is scam, first the page is hosted on a free hostingservice, second, the mailaddress looks like it was registered for selling this car (if it exists)

I think it is easy to find out or the car is real. Ask a very specific photo, like a pic of the car in a specific place or something. Or from the odo-meter. Something like that. If they can't provide that, it is scam. I think it is anyway, who is going to sell his Testarossa for 9.700?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since the guy says it's in DC, I emailed him last night telling him I can be in Washington this weekend. I have not received a reply yet. I know in the back of my mind this is a fake, but my heart is still beating a little faster hoping it's real.
Mike

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I don't think you are going to see a car this weekend...

Remember, when it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

Welcome here, and keep us informed on the rest of your search ;)

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
PayPal holding the money is total BS. PayPal is like a bank account. Take it from someone that knows about buying and selling via the net. Tell him you perfer

www.escrow.com

As it says in the name they are a true escrow service. You send them the money. When you get the car they send him the money. If you try to deny you didn't get the car, well there is legal action.

Maybe PayPal has a new escrow service I don't know about. Do your homework :wink:

Welcome to the site and I hope you can get the car! When you do please tell us about it! Good luck.

·
Registered
308 Posts
YES...THIS IS A SCAM BIG-TIME !!!!!!!! This same car was also listed on ebay, and several other places. I did email the seller for details, and his response was full of pitfalls and ways to rip off people. Ebay has pulled this car auction twice so far. Run away as fast as you can !!

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
carguy said:
YES...THIS IS A SCAM BIG-TIME !!!!!!!! This same car was also listed on ebay, and several other places. I did email the seller for details, and his response was full of pitfalls and ways to rip off people. Ebay has pulled this car auction twice so far. Run away as fast as you can !!
Well that pretty much sums it up right there. Good info to know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts