Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I am thinking about purchasing my first Ferrari. It is a local 1986 European Testarossa, but I have a few questions about the car and its pricing.

About the car:

The VIN number shows the following-
A- 308 2-valve invected (USA Model)
A- 3-point inertia belts for front
17- Testarossa
B- Left-Hand drive vehicle for the European Market
G- 1986

The car has 55,000Km (about 33,000 Miles) on it. It was imported into the US in 1991 from Belgium. It is a very dark gray or charcoal with red/maroon interior. The car is in great shape both inside and out. If I feel like this is a good deal, I will have it professionally appraised.

I have read that maintance is a major factor in determining the value of a Ferrari, so here are the major services that the car has received to date (in the US).

Entered US and inspected: 7/04/91
30,000 mile service (at 49,523km): $3,211
Major Tune-up (at 50,699km): $2,409

The Carfax shows the car to be clean with the exception of a possible odometer rollback which was caused by one owner regestering it in Km rather than Miles. If you do the conversion, it checks out.

Now my questions ...

1) What is the difference between the US and Euro versions of the Testarossa? Will I have trouble registering or insurring this car in NJ?

2) What is the value of this car? I know that this is a tough question, but I am looking for an average rate. The owner is pretty firm around $50k USD, which is no small chunk of change... at least for me!!

3) Is this a good first Ferrari or should I look at a 308, 328, or 348? I love cars and presently enjoy my Corvette and BMW 850i (V12).

So, basically should I continue looking into this car or move on?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

-JRW

·
Registered
476 Posts
The PPI should answer a lot of your questions for you. Mainly is this a good car or not. In my opinion any Ferrari is a good first Ferrari! Maintenance cost will be higher on this car than the 3x8 models. But, could be more trouble free than say a 348. They were a "little" problematic in the first years.

The question you have to ask you're self is how will you be driving the car. If you like lots of twisty bits from what I've heard the Testarossa handles well but is a bit heavy and hard to toss about. The V8s you listed are much better suited to that driving. But, if you want to eat up the miles and toss it around every now and again I think the Testarossa is the choice. I'd love to have one. Pack up the Ferrari luggage head up the coast to San Fran or the wine country for the weekend. Tool around town then scream on back. If I just wanted to hit the mountain roads around LA, it'd be the V8s.

Also where do you live? The Testarossa's a big car. If you live in the city like I do where roads and parking are tight it may not be the car for you. It's kind of like living in an apartment with a greyhound. Really not fair for the car, err, I mean dog.

Get the car you can best AFFORD! I've seen people overreach their check book and wound up having what could have been a great car experience turn into a terrible one because they bought a car they really couldn't afford. Let's face it. No one needs a Ferrari. They're a luxury and the expense should be treated as such. It should help make you time and experience here on earth a little better. Not add more stress.

Keep us updated on your choice. And congratulations on your first Ferrari!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I bought the car that I could REALLY afford, I'd be driving a Honda Civic!!

Anyway, my real worries are about it being a European car and making sure that I am not paying too much for this car.

I live in NJ (USA) which is mostly country driving. I have an SUV for bad weather and the Vette and BMW for daily driving.

I was really thinking that I couldn't go wrong if I could score the car for around $45K, but Im not sure the present owner will go for that.

Thanks,

-JRW

·
Registered
476 Posts
The Vin breakdown shows (US model). Does that mean that it is a US version that was sold in Europe? If it is importing it should be a no brainer. I'm assuming that the Euro model back then still had lighter emmisions than the US. If that were the case I'm assuming you'd have to bring it up to the US standard for that time. $$

As for the price I'm not sure what Testarossas are going for these days. I do like the color combo though! Until you make an offer you never know what he'll go for. I don't think 5k under his asking price is an insult. I would think he'd expect someone to haggle a little.

I'd look into that vin description if I were you. That'll have a big bearing on your decision. If it is a US model with all the required emmisions it's just a matter of doing the paperwork and paying the fees.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
senna21 said:
The Vin breakdown shows (US model). Does that mean that it is a US version that was sold in Europe? If it is importing it should be a no brainer. I'm assuming that the Euro model back then still had lighter emmisions than the US. If that were the case I'm assuming you'd have to bring it up to the US standard for that time. $$

As for the price I'm not sure what Testarossas are going for these days. I do like the color combo though! Until you make an offer you never know what he'll go for. I don't think 5k under his asking price is an insult. I would think he'd expect someone to haggle a little.

I'd look into that vin description if I were you. That'll have a big bearing on your decision. If it is a US model with all the required emmisions it's just a matter of doing the paperwork and paying the fees.
He verified the VIN number for me... which confused me a little bit.

The engine option code 'A' says that it is a 308 2-valve injected (USA Model), yet the market code 'B' says that it is a Left Hand Drive for the European Market. It has been registered in the US before, so I am assuming that it can be legally done.

The car was brought into the US from Belguim in 1991 and has been in Texas until a few years ago when it entered New Jersey.

This is all I know.

Thanks,

-JRW

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Almost every EURO Testarossa starts with ZFFAA17B0000XXXXX

Do you know the s/n of the car, the last 5 numbers?

I don't think that the EURO model will give a big problem, check with your insurance company to know for sure though. Also maintaining the car shouldn't be a problem because every mechanic should be able to work with the car. I do not know a lot about prices, so maybe somebody else can help you with that. And first of all, always perform a PPI.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dr. Bob said:
Almost every EURO Testarossa starts with ZFFAA17B0000XXXXX

Do you know the s/n of the car, the last 5 numbers?

I don't think that the EURO model will give a big problem, check with your insurance company to know for sure though. Also maintaining the car shouldn't be a problem because every mechanic should be able to work with the car. I do not know a lot about prices, so maybe somebody else can help you with that. And first of all, always perform a PPI.
Last 5 = 89266

I would never drop this much cash without a professional inspection first.

Thanks again guys.... still looking for some pricing opinions.

-JRW

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dr. Bob said:
This car was for sale on Ebay by alspeed1, Grey/Bordeaux, on the 10th of november. I do not have more info.
Correct!! He lives about 20 mins from me. I would much rather buy a local car that I can see and drive.

-JRW

·
Registered
749 Posts
Suggest you make contact with one of the US Ferrari clubs & talk to someone who has a TR (could try www.ferrariclub.com & get a phone number). You should be easily able to get some good market info there. They may even have some info on this car - most club members are happy to talk about what they know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I just wanted to thank everyone on here for their help. I think I am going to pass on this car unless the owner really wants to get rid of it... lower the price 10%-20%.

Thanks again,

-JRW

·
Registered
900 Posts
Price seems reasonable as long as the car checks out. If you get him down to $45k I think you made a good buy.

·
Registered
88 Posts
XTREMETUNING said:
I am thinking about purchasing my first Ferrari. It is a local 1986 European Testarossa, but I have a few questions about the car and its pricing.

About the car:

The VIN number shows the following-
A- 308 2-valve invected (USA Model)
A- 3-point inertia belts for front
17- Testarossa
B- Left-Hand drive vehicle for the European Market
G- 1986
Regarding the VIN of the Testarossa:

The first 'A' is correct for a late European version Testarossa. The 'A' is also used on US-version 308 GTBi, 308 GTSi and Mondial 8, which explains the confusion. So, some digits were used on multiple Ferrari types.

The 'G' doesn't make any sense, as that Testarossa certainly won't have a 'G' in the VIN. The serialnumber you mentioned (89266) would make it a Testarossa built in 1991, not in 1986. This would also make a large difference regarding the price, as a late version TR will often be more expensive than an early TR (regarding technical updates and so on).

For more stuff about VINs and Testarossa, check my own website: www.red-headed.com.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts