Ferrari Life Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

As I'm sure many of you can relate to, the Testarossa is my dream car, and the first Ferrari I intend to purchase. I'm finally at the stage financially where I can afford the car, my concern is my storage situation.

I actually do not own a car at all right now. I live in a high rise in downtown Chicago. If I purchased the Testarossa, it would be my only vehicle (well I have 2 motorcycles, so my only car). And I would be parking it in a private garage in my building. I intend to cover the car when it is not in use, and of course, normal maintenance, trickle charge battery etc. The garage is covered but not temperature controlled though and has outdoor exposes areas so the car would sit at times in below-freezing weather for weeks on end. Maybe I'm overly concerned by this and just want to baby my 6-figure investment?

Would you guys have any concern with this vehicle being somewhere that is not temperature controlled? Also I know it sounds kind of stupid for an 80s Ferrari to be my "daily", but I only would be driving about once per week or maybe 30-50 trips in a year max. I would imagine I've had far less convenient experiences in life. The car would be pretty safe in that it is in a private garage, I live in a relatively "bougie" building so I'm thinking it's unlikely the vehicle gets fucked with, there are some other high-end vehicles here (although this would be the only "classic" sports car here).

I'm sure I'll get my fair share of "this is a bad idea" but how bad of an idea is it? All things considered? Anything I should know?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Those infrequent short trips in a large city where it's majority start n stop driving would be my main concern. That ol' horse needs to let loose once a week, if weather permits, on the kind of roads it was bred for, and that is not Chicago city driving. I would get it outside the beltway and find some high speed 2 lanes where the police are scarce and let him run hard for an hour or more.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The short stop start type of running will kill it. As a former owner of this model (Euro spec) I can vouch for the fact that they need driving - long hot high speed runs regularly. They are also a car that needs to be warmed up first before you even take off into traffic and sympathetic treatment until it is warmed up thoroughly ( I`m talking transaxle as well as the engine). Very docile though, I drove mine in 5th gear at 30mph which it pulled without fuss regularly. (ex Ital car garage proprietor so expertly tuned by myself) People don`t realise Ferraris are very tractable once warmed up, and set up properly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a indoor heated garage in a high-rise. Very large spot with no one on either side of it (ideal), with your own garage door opener, and it's video monitored. There's also enough space to park a motorcycle behind the car as well. Location is at Wrightwood and Clark in Lincoln Park. Rent will be less than what you're paying for your spot now. Let me know: [email protected]

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have put roughly 30,000 miles on my 1990 Testarossa. It sucks to park and doensn't like to stop, otherwise not too bad. For a year or two I did a bunch of very quick moves which is probably why I had the massive carbon build up. Engine outs can get expensive too so you better research that. I would only buy one that has been well maintained, if it hasn't it will be very expensive to get it to the daily driver standard. It is great as an extra car but not a primary driver, these are my quick impressions.

·
Registered
11 Posts
rfimd2000, I found the brakes more than adequate in the TR. Appropriate pads fitted plus hydraulics all in good order. Not overservoed so do require perhaps more effort on the pedal than people used to overservoed moderns. The effort required allows really good modulation.

·
Administrator
15,181 Posts
Hey guys,

As I'm sure many of you can relate to, the Testarossa is my dream car, and the first Ferrari I intend to purchase. I'm finally at the stage financially where I can afford the car, my concern is my storage situation.

I actually do not own a car at all right now. I live in a high rise in downtown Chicago. If I purchased the Testarossa, it would be my only vehicle (well I have 2 motorcycles, so my only car). And I would be parking it in a private garage in my building. I intend to cover the car when it is not in use, and of course, normal maintenance, trickle charge battery etc. The garage is covered but not temperature controlled though and has outdoor exposes areas so the car would sit at times in below-freezing weather for weeks on end. Maybe I'm overly concerned by this and just want to baby my 6-figure investment?

Would you guys have any concern with this vehicle being somewhere that is not temperature controlled? Also I know it sounds kind of stupid for an 80s Ferrari to be my "daily", but I only would be driving about once per week or maybe 30-50 trips in a year max. I would imagine I've had far less convenient experiences in life. The car would be pretty safe in that it is in a private garage, I live in a relatively "bougie" building so I'm thinking it's unlikely the vehicle gets fucked with, there are some other high-end vehicles here (although this would be the only "classic" sports car here).

I'm sure I'll get my fair share of "this is a bad idea" but how bad of an idea is it? All things considered? Anything I should know?
Question is can it handle city traffic on a hot summer day? 80's Ferraris have a bad habit of overheating when not moving fairly constantly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Provided everything is working properly and in good condition (engine not running lean, radiators in good condition and clear of obstruction, temp sensors and electric fans working properly) they can keep themselves within the correct temperature range.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Question is can it handle city traffic on a hot summer day? 80's Ferraris have a bad habit of overheating when not moving fairly constantly.
In my experience yes, however, I would only do this with a very well sorted car. I think maintenance is the key and stay on top of it, especially with vintage automobiles!
May I also add, I think you really need to be in the mood to drive this type of car. Honesty, I would not want to drive it in city conditions. My opinion for this type of driving would be to buy a more modern car.
People like us don't always make rational choices:)!!!!!
Best Wishes,
Bob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey guys,

We winter our Car at Ferrari Lake Forest. Suspending insurance coverage partly offsets storage costs, and they do keep it plugged in and in a safe environment.

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
Much of the advice is true for all older Ferrari models IMO. needs to be driven well and often and city use for that car seems not much fun. Not disuading you but it may be more a dream for a short period than a long term option. If you get out of stop-go you'll enjoy it more. We'll sorted on this model will be expensive but then again, fulfilling portions of a dream is better than never touching one at all. What I see is beyond the initial enfatuation you want is this will be a stepping stone to another model later.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Besides hectic city driving my other concern having this car there would be vandalism. People love to key or worse exotic cars! My sincere advice would be to not buy this car if it is your only car living in the city.
As I said earlier, people like us do not always make wise decisions:rolleyes:!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts