Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:roll: :roll: :p Hi guys, ive been busy for a while ..Happy new year..O.K. So i have established that im buying a Mondial over the past six months..My wife Christi is haveing a baby in june so the car has to be brought befofr then..I looked at a 1989 Mondial cab the other day ,50,000 miles he had a bunch of recipts ,clutch belts breaks that kind of thing.When we drove it it was rellyEXCITING.. :D :D BUT THERE WAS A RED LIGHT THAT CAME ON SOMETIMES. The gentelman said that if the red light stayed on for a while it would be cause for concern.Something about the cat convertor overheating..And i think he said due to ignistion break down & not burning fuel in a couple of cylinders. can you guys i.e Peter,Magoo or somebody shed some light on this matter..Iam not a mechanic so please fogive me with my laymans terms,thankyou Mick

·
Registered
27 Posts
hi mick, blessing for the mick the 2nd. modial is a great ferrari. and quite rarely for ferrari it is sensible and practical. your question, does that red light has any sign or letters or figure in it? by this I mean what does that
light supposed to indicate? or is it just a red light? provide us with some more info then we can help you closer. one more thing, I know 348s in early of its production such as 89-91 have some problems but I don't know if it necessarily means the same for the mondials. my another suggestion is do not just ask your dealer, ask for the permission and take the car to 2nd and 3rd mechanic or shop yourself and compare their comments. I heard it cost about 100 dollars to check the car at most shops.

peace.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:green: :p :Hi Lectio,The red light was on the dash and it said stop (i think) The owner said he took it to the mechanic ,who then cleaned the injectors and uncloged the censer.Now he says its ok,thanks for the help,Mick P.S. When i said i drove the car the other day i ment 4 months ago.I actually spoke to the owner the other day..

·
Registered
575 Posts
"Stop" to me would be the "Slow Down" lights for either bank of cylinders. That's the warning light for the catalytic converters and they light-up when they get too hot. The sensors, which are mounted on the cats do fail from the heat though, so this is what was probably causing it.

If its been fixed, you should have no other problems if it drives as well now as it did back then...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:green: Hi Peter, Did you know that you are a wealth of infomation.It is most kind of you to help us non mechanic people out,Thankyou..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts