Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Administrator
Joined
·
6,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having this discussion with a few people and would like to hear the opinions of the members here because everyone here I think has a different perspective on the auto industry. Would you consider a NSX a rice burners? What by definition is a "rice burner" and does anyone know about how old the term is? I'm assuming it cannot be any older than late 60s, this being the time when Japanese car companies began to grow in size.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,082 Posts
Well yes a NSX is a rice burner
because i always thought (still think) that the term "rice burner" means that it is a japanese car
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
454 Posts
Gentlemen,

I agree. I think a rice burner is a Japanese car. The NSX is just a very nice and fast rice burner. However, when I think of rice burner, I invision a civic/accord/prelude dropped to the ground, rear mounted wing, 300 lbs worth of ground effects (you know, for added speed), a muffler the size of a 155mm Howitzer Sabot and stickers saying, "[email protected]#enRad" and "Wicked Machine Racing Dude..."

I prefer a car that runs on wine and olive oil then Uncle Ben's... :D

Forza,

Dane
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,509 Posts
Check out this site: http://www.riceboypage.com/

An interesting and amusing study on the owners of low-end Japanese cars who seem to feel that adding a "Fear This" sticker to the back window will give the impression of high performance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
454 Posts
Pete,

Oh man, do I like the guy who did this site. I can't say I'd have the energy to do it but I certainly respect the guy for doing it! I wonder how many of these folks are going to have a complex being alongside a 308.

Forza,

Dane
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
454 Posts
No offense to the Japanese cars. I think the cars get a bad name from the way in which they're modified and street raced by their users...This is why I hate to see when a Ferrari is crashed on public roads due to ignorance and irresponsibility.

Forza,

Dane
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,082 Posts
I come across a lot of "tuned" cars, just at the outside.
and then you listen to the engine and it's a diesel :eek:
that's so phatetic
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
533 Posts
Dane Sander said:
Tifoso_boy,

Uncle Ben on steroids... :D

Forza,

Dane
That's funny!!!!! I too have a great respect for japanese cars. They are well built and last forever. I have a honda, and the thing is bulletproof. Of course, I've kept mine pretty stock. I would like to add a giant wing to it :p ......just playing....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
454 Posts
Whether in good taste or not (usually the latter), the kids throw a ton of money at these cars. Where in the hell do they get it?? I remember having a small station wagon in college, ramon noodles for hot dates and Boone's for the real special occasions... Basically, I was broke bigger than doo-doo. I couldn't even afford to pay attention (HA HA). Again, where are these kids today getting the big bucks for thousands of dollars worth of ground effects, mufflers, wheels, cold air intakes, etc., etc.???

Forza,

Dane
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,082 Posts
I know what you mean Dane
When i was in school and college i couldn't afford a car, and i had from time to time some student job.
Even now its just to much to spend on a car.
Besides i'm not allowed to change my car
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
What is the worst is that most ricers only have a mufler with a huge tip and a whole lot of non-functional body add-ons. For the cost of the body kit and getting it painted they could come close to a turbo kit for thier car. One thing i have found is that 90% of all ricers are all show, no go. There is stil the other 10% to worry about that are worked.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,082 Posts
TimN88 said:
One thing i have found is that 90% of all ricers are all show, no go. worked.
No kidding.
I've done that a lot.
beating some "tuned" car at the lights.
And when i can do that with my car, that means something then, because i have NOOO HP
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
You have to be careful about passing judgement on "rice burners." You can buy a civic hatchback for 3 grand, put in a type r motor for 2 more, turbo that for 3 grand and bingo, you are in the 12's and are about as fast as a 360. ITs usually the ones without all the stupid body crap that are fast.
Some kid in the next town over has a turbocharges lexus IS300, he recently raced a supercharged 308 on the highway and beat it, and this is a 308 with 350+hp. The guy with the supercharged 308 lives 2 hrs north, but i actually met him a few weeks ago at WWoC. what were the odds that soeone i know would run into someone i met on the way back from canada.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top