Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Above and beyond tacking on some superchargers to my ferrari's engine, have you ever "Improved the Internals" on a ferrari engine to gain a better result of the superchargers, and if so, what company did you use? How successful was it and how did it go? What exactly did you do to the engine? Do you know of any companies in the US who specialize in this work and have a history of success in doing this?

Send me a private message if you prefer - via this site. Thanks! Appreciate it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More Info...

MORE INFO:

We are going to take the F430 Engine and changing it from a 4.3L to a 4.8L or 5.0L (whatever the R&D gives us the tolerance to do). There are 2 german engineers who are experienced in this field and also there are 2 guys from this company - one who has already worked on F1 ferrari engines and a number of other ferrari engines doing R&D.

If it cant be done, we will lower the compression ratio so we will be able to twin turbo the engine and get more power than supercharging it, but the main goal is to keep it naturally aspirated.

Send me a private message if you prefer - via this site. Thanks! Appreciate it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you only wanted to go to 4.7 litres you could use genuine Ferrari internals from the new Maserati Gran Turismo S, whos engine is basically a punched out and detuned version of Ferrari's 4.3 litre V8. I assume that the Maserati has a lower compression ratio also, which is what you need for forced induction conversions, otherwise the crankshaft will suffer some major punishment. If I'm correct, the only difference between the Ferrari version of the motor compared to Maserati version is the bore. I don't believe the stroke was increased. Therefor, you could theoretically just use the block/ sleeves and pistons from the Gran Turismo, although if the stroke was also increased in that motor, you may only get 4.5-4.6 litres with just the pistons and block/sleeves, but adding the crank could take you to the full 4.7 litres. These types of parts are actually cheaper than you would think even though they are Ferrari, compared to body panels, wheels, and interior bits anyway.

I cannot say whether all you would need for this is simply install new floating sleeves into the Ferrari block, or if the Maserati block is bored for larger sleeves. If the block is bored for larger sleeves, then I would suggest buying both the block and the sleeves instead of machining the block yourself, if just to avoid any overheating issues around the sleeves. The other things to consider with this setup is deck heighth, the Maserati pistons may be taller or shorter, depending on whether the cranshaft is the same or not as the F430 counterpart. This will affect your piston/valve relationship, and for all I know, the pistons may have different valve reliefs for this very reason.

Anyhow, that is just a suggestion, as I don't really have any blueprints to look at of either engine, so I can't be for sure how different those two engines are, and how many parts they do actually share with eachother, and the specs of the parts they do not share. All I know is they share the same castings for the heads and crankcase (block), have the same architectural layout, which includes cylinder layout, firing order/crank phasing, valvetrain layout, and oil system. All of the rest is beyond my scope of knowledge for this engine family.

Hope that helps some.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts