Ferrari Life Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever used these tires. Tire rack has them rated over the Michelins
I'm looking at the ones that are H rated 205/70r14.
Boy are they cheap. Do you think the Michelins are really worth 2.5 times as much???
Any opinions.

Thanks
Kelly

·
Registered
286 Posts
Kelly, I have heard nothing but good about those tires from the dealer where I buy my tires and he is a Michelin dealer. He rates them along with the Michelin. I wouldn't be afraid to try them. You know advertiseing brings the price up on a lot of products. I have always used Michelins but from what I have heard the professionals say it is a great tire.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The damn things are only $41.00 from tire rack. The M tires are $105. I have got to try them.
I'll let you know how I make out.
THX
Kelly

·
Registered
575 Posts
Wow Kelly, those are cheap (even if I translate it into Cdn $).

What model of Sumitomo are they?

Is this some special sale that Tire Rack is having, or is it their regular price?

What model of Michelin are you refering to (hopefully not the XWX, because if they're at $105, I'll get those instead! :) )

·
Registered
36 Posts
At that price it sure sounds like it is worth a try. I swear by Michelin quality but if you don't try something and actually use it you never really know.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Tires

Ed, I totally agree. I have heard nothing but good things about this tire. I agree Michelin is a great tire but then the advertising tends to run the price up on the tire. Go with it. Magoo

·
Registered
286 Posts
Tires

Peter, He is talking about the H rated 205/70R/14. They more than likely only offer that in one tire only.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wanted to let yawl know that I ordered the P4000. They were $58.oo and in stock at Vistoria tire. I did not want to buy from tire rack becasue i would have had to pay sales tax. They have a location in Shreveport, plus they were out of stock. So I got 4 tires including shipping for $290.00.

One of my decideing factors was that I talked to a guy named Carlos at the madewood concours last october. After about 1.5 hours of conversation, I found out he was the president of perrelli north america. WOW what a nice guy, and for only $40 more, i would not be hiding my tires from him at the next conours. HAHA

Thx to everyone. Ed good to see you here.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Kelly,

Several months ago I also ordered new tires for my 1976 308 GTB. I was able to find a source for European VR-rated P4000s, but decided on the XWXs. The new tires are on the car now and I'm very pleased. They replaced some older XWXs and so I have no way of making any comparisons.

Barry

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got my tires and got them mounted. Boy did I learn a big lesson. The front wheel bolts are longer than the rear bolts.

When I took my tires off I put the bolts all in one bucket. Put the tires back on took a bolt out as needed.

Car would not move.

Several longer wheel bolts of the front were in the rears and pressing against the frame.

After I learned this lesson, I went 135mph.

I will probablely not need sex for a week.
My poor wife.

OH Well.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
:eek: Wow! I will definately keep that lesson-learned in the back of my mind! Thanks for posting it! I would have thrown them all in a bucket too.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Kelly and Pete,

Yes, the bolts for the front and rear wheels are different sizes and not interchangable. The owner's manual only briefly alludes to this:

"The front wheel fixing bolts must not be used on the rear wheels and viceversa."

Barry

1 - 14 of 14 Posts