Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe a stupid question, but let's assume that someone wants to play music in his F430.
(does someone ever besides the engine music ? :crowngrin:
How can he do this ?
Radio & CD, but does it also have bluetooth or SD card availability as a standard ?
For example for a 2007 F430.

·
Registered
379 Posts
The ones i have seen had bluetooth nit sure of the year though.
You might want to finish your profile as well so we know what car you have etc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 2005 F430 has bluetooth. The appendix to the manual gives instructions for pairing just about every kind of pre-iPhone cell phone (Nokia, Ericsson, etc.). My Bluetooth setting on my iPhone refuses to discover it or pair with the radio. Does anyone have any ideas about how to do it, or maybe a work-around? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Maybe a stupid question, but let's assume that someone wants to play music in his F430.
(does someone ever besides the engine music ? :crowngrin:
How can he do this ?
Radio & CD, but does it also have bluetooth or SD card availability as a standard ?
For example for a 2007 F430.
I have a 2007 and it does have Bluetooth but no slot for an SD card or WiFi. It is also wildly unintuitive to operate unless you are sitting there with the Infotainment User Guide (it's as big as the Owner's Manual) in your lap, and even then at some point, you decide it's not worth the effort. It has built-in GPS but that's an entire thread worth of negative comments. Suffice to say you'll need neck surgery from all the bending and squinting at the tiny display. I think it's from the German Firm Becker. How Germans made such a clunker is beyond me.

To get a back-up camera installed I had them replace the head-unit with a Pioneer pop-up unit that connects to Apple car play and uses Alexa to get voice directions and make hands-free phone calls if you are so inclined. I'm not, but the GPS is cool. You can use Yelp to find stuff while you're motoring along. The display is 7-inch which is plenty big enough. I looked at the 9-inch display version but it blocks interior sight-lines and the A/C vents. Besides, it looks like you bought a car to show off your TV.

BTW, I have the optional-at-staggering-cost 6-disc CD changer in the front trunk (boot?) and the only thing that will drive it is the stock radio. No 3rd-party head-unit can drive it. But with Apple Car play who needs it? I'd remove it to save weight in stop-light Grands Prix, but the computer would complain (it checks all your stuff when you turn the key on and if some of your stuff doesn't reply it barks).

The unit I choose was the concealed Pioneer AVH-3500NEX. I had it and the camera installed professionally along with the concealed KD-40 radar detector Laser detector/disruptor. Installed it cost me $3,500 big ones but it's about safety and peace of mind. Most of that cost was for the KD-40 and camera. The Head-unit costs $550.

Just remember to say "Hey! Alexa!" otherwise it ignores you.

Here's a very poor photo from my iPhone...

I hope this helps.

Ray

Reactions: StefVan

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks, but I want to keep my car as original as possible. (It's a 2005 with only 2000 miles.) Since the original radio did come with Bluetooth and the manual gives detailed instructions for pairing it with various early phones, I'm hoping that there might be a way to get it to pair with my iPhone. But, for what ever reason, my iPhone just doesn't see it. Does anyone have any suggestions? It seems to me that it should be possible, although I am admittedly IT naive. Thanks,
Rob

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Thanks, but I want to keep my car as original as possible. (It's a 2005 with only 2000 miles.) Since the original radio did come with Bluetooth and the manual gives detailed instructions for pairing it with various early phones, I'm hoping that there might be a way to get it to pair with my iPhone. But, for what ever reason, my iPhone just doesn't see it. Does anyone have any suggestions? It seems to me that it should be possible, although I am admittedly IT naive. Thanks,
Rob
You are aware that over 15,000 F430s were built, making it highly unlikely the model will be collectible. Why struggle with an out of date infotainment system when for about $500 you can not only pair your iPhone, but use Apple Carplay.

But to answer your question, there are various versions of the Bluetooth protocol. A 2005 radio probably supports a very early iteration while your iPhone may not be downward compatible. Apple does some weird things when you upgrade the IOS version.

Good luck.

Ray

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
But to answer your question, there are various versions of the Bluetooth protocol. A 2005 radio probably supports a very early iteration while your iPhone may not be downward compatible. Apple does some weird things when you upgrade the IOS version.

Ray
I have a stock 6112 in my car and the Bluetooth will pair and allow phone calls with the iPhone, it will not play music.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
I have a stock 6112 in my car and the Bluetooth will pair and allow phone calls with the iPhone, it will not play music.
Is that (6112) the Becker radio?

Ray

·
Registered
10 Posts
You are aware that over 15,000 F430s were built, making it highly unlikely the model will be collectible. Why struggle with an out of date infotainment system when for about $500 you can not only pair your iPhone, but use Apple Carplay.

Good luck.

Ray
Hi Ray, Thanks for your explanation. This is my 3rd Ferrari and one of several exotics, so I'm aware that it's not collectible. But, it is a thing of beauty, has only 2k miles, and I would like to keep it esthetically the way it left Maranello. The radio/CD is a Becker 7860. I wasn't aware that there were older versions of BT. Although it would be nice to just push the button and connect with my phone, my little Jabra device pairs easily and will work fine.

Regards

Rob

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Duckman,
As an owner of a 2008 430 Spider (with 3400 miles originally) I can relate to your desire to keep and utilize the stock radio. I suffered with this for a year and then gave up, as someone else said, for $5-600 you can install a modern, easy to use radio/bluetooth and enjoy it. I kept the stock Becker in case I sell the car.....the only thing I miss is the "Ferrari" lettering, but my god that was some awful engineering! BTW, I assumed the stock speakers were crap, but with a modern head unit, they sound fine. Now 2 years later and 12,000+ miles on the car, best decision ever!!
Bob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts