Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do the door handles and the a/c vents (all plastic) feel "tacky" to the touch? Almost like they are melting

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
From what I've heard I believe this is a common "problem" in 360's. Anyone care to correct me?
For some stupid reason only Ferrari knows about this is a major problem for the Testarossa, 348, 355, 360, and now even 430.

This can be removed with Oven cleaner on a cloth and rub vigorously.

Ferrari has known about this problem well forever and still refuse to do anything about it, Porsche BMW AUDI BENZ and every other manufacture you can think of don't seem to have this problem and if they did it would of been fixed immediately. But as usual OH WELL IT"S A FERRARI we live with the quirks..:D

It's actually kind of funny know we all joke about it.

Funny thing is that the Lambo boys have the same problem..:eek:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Turns out to be a common problem

I will probably try some of the "fixes" posted and let you know how I get on.
I also found out that Ricambi America sells a kit to replace all the, and I quote them, "sticky and tacky" interior parts. When I know what that option costs I will post it too, along with any information I get about how challenging changing out all those parts is.

·
Registered
402 Posts
For some stupid reason only Ferrari knows about this is a major problem for the Testarossa, 348, 355, 360, and now even 430.

Funny thing is that the Lambo boys have the same problem..:eek:
Must be an italian thing...trademark stating, sticky coz its made in italy :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
well all my Italian cars have done it.
Except the Maserati. Which does not have that product anywhere to be found.
Clean it gently and I avoid the car being in the brutal Houston heat for too long.
Other than that I drive a 550 Life couldn't be much better short a sticky thing here or there

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi, new guy in the block! I have the same problem on my 348 the middle console is very sticky. I'm going to try the elbow grease method recommended by Nght life. Hopefully I can get some time this weekend and I will let you know if it works.

Alex

·
Registered
167 Posts
I was told that much of this has to do with the products used to clean the plastics in the cars...can anyone else confirm?

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
I never had any problems in the 328, but I only ever cleaned it inside with water and a damp chamois. I don't like the spray dash/interior cleaning products that make everything shiney and looking like it's just come out of a cheap used car dealers.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I've heard that tacky dressings like Armor-All dissolve the plastic -- first heard of this about ten years ago -- but have never confirmed it for myself.

I'm with Archie on the cleaning part -- water only. If it is kept clean, it will stay looking good. :)

- T

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I believe cleaning spray like spray nine combined with heat and or sun cause this phenomenon only on Italian cars..:rolleyes:

MAMA MIA..:p

Easy off oven cleaner is supposed to be the best one to use, there are different more expensive products out there but they don't seem to work as well or as fast.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I've heard that tacky dressings like Armor-All dissolve the plastic -- first heard of this about ten years ago -- but have never confirmed it for myself.

I'm with Archie on the cleaning part -- water only. If it is kept clean, it will stay looking good. :)

- T
Agreed, leave the fancy stuff (clay bar, wax, etc..) for the exterior.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Well guys Night Life's oven cleaner method does work but prepare to scrub and clean the mess up. I applied the oven cleaner on a rag and was able to remove all the sticky stuff, but once it is all removed prepare to re-paint. I did not finish the job only because I might remove the entire console to confine the mess or maybe replacement. Night lifes method does work! thanks!!

Alex

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Well guys Night Life's oven cleaner method does work but prepare to scrub and clean the mess up. I applied the oven cleaner on a rag and was able to remove all the sticky stuff, but once it is all removed prepare to re-paint. I did not finish the job only because I might remove the entire console to confine the mess or maybe replacement. Night lifes method does work! thanks!!

Alex
Nice to know, thanks for being brave and testing the waters.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've seen this on Club Sportiva's Ferrari F355. Particularly the air vents. Boxer is certainly right, it is due to exposure to the sun and harsh cleaning agents, probably from the previous owner...of course ;) The hard part isn't finding a solvent that removes the goo but not marring and scratching the plastic surface while rubbing it off. Otherwise you end up with an air vent that looks equally bad for a different reason.

Johannes Huwyler at Dino Motors services Club Sportiva's "older" Ferraris and just last month he solved this for us on our F355. I will find out what he did and compare it to the other posts people made. I just know it looked like new, except for the scratches an employee made when he tried to clean one of the vents a year ago...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts