Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Selling is getting expensive

A collector car is not a factor of production. The car collector market creates few if any jobs, unlike building a factory. Therefore, there should be an increase in taxes collected when a person profits from the sale of a collector car.

Reactions: USADino

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Are there collector homes, shirts, or lamps? Yup. Do they experience these taxes for a similar reason? Nope.
Believe someone found a rich person's 'hobby' and decided it could be taxed.
What I believe more a problem in 15/20 years is a specialty tax for gasoline fueled vehicles. California already is passing no new combustion sales after a future date, something like 2035 iirc, and any remaining sales can be a problem. They want to phase them out. 15 miles from me is Petaluma, CA and they passed a law banning any changes, modifications to or new construction of gasoline stations to push alternative 'fuels'-- read hydrogen electric: first in the world.
I said this 10 years ago and now believe it's even sooner. Our cars will be relegated to shows, parades, and museums. AND I'll bet as well, Ferrari WILL start constructing electric vehicles ! Watch...it will happen.
F1? Look for E1

Reactions: USADino

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Are there collector homes, shirts, or lamps? Yup. Do they experience these taxes for a similar reason? Nope.
There should be. None of those are factors of production. You build a factory and manufacture products, that's a factor of production. A summer home in Big Bear and the yacht in Newport Harbor are not. Neither is a 250 GTO LM or a painting by Monet. If you can afford to buy it, you can afford to pay the taxes on it.

An all-electric Ferrari would be cool. Electric motors have instantaneous torque at all speeds, an internal combustion engine does not which is why they require a gearbox.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
There should be. None of those are factors of production. You build a factory and manufacture products, that's a factor of production. A summer home in Big Bear and the yacht in Newport Harbor are not. Neither is a 250 GTO LM or a painting by Monet. If you can afford to buy it, you can afford to pay the taxes on it.

An all-electric Ferrari would be cool. Electric motors have instantaneous torque at all speeds, an internal combustion engine does not which is why they require a gearbox.
There should be? So, no one should own objects unless a factor of utility/necessities? Art or feel good products are to be taxed? Not sure where you are going with that thought, but we are not toting these into space travel where objects must perform function and not aesthetics. Or did you mean something else?

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
There should be? So, no one should own objects unless a factor of utility/necessities? Art or feel good products are to be taxed? Not sure where you are going with that thought, but we are not toting these into space travel where objects must perform function and not aesthetics. Or did you mean something else?
Yes, they should be taxed. You buy a 250 GTO for 2 million and sell it for 3 million, you pay the same tax rate on the 1 million profit as I pay. No capital gain deduction. It's not capital. It's a luxury item.

Ray

1 - 7 of 7 Posts