Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I have been developing a starting prob on the 308gts. Sometimes when I go to start it there is nothing when I turn the key. The immobiliser activates, the fuel pump starts, but it doesn't wind over. I initially thought that it may have been a faulty immobiliser, but I suspect not, otherwise the fuel pump would have no power. I'm guessing it could be the starter motor?, however I'm no mechanic. It appears to have been getting worse, used to take a couple to turns (of key) to start. The last time I took it out, it took about 12 times the first time, about 6 the next (5 mins later) and about 4 the next time (15 minutes later). I could be wrong but it appears to be worse when cold? Anyone had this problem before? Any help appreciated.
Regards
Argento308

·
Registered
167 Posts
sounds like an aging starter...the redneck fix is to whack the starter motor with a screwdriver handle or something to release the Bendex and allow it to engauge...the better choice is to replace it...also look for frayed wires or bad connections on the starter could just as easily be a corroded or loose wire as a bad starter.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Starter?

I agree. From what you have told us, it sounds like either a starter or starter solenoid. Considering it is not a lot of fun to take out, I'd put in both. These things are not cheap even from the usual vendors. However, it is a Bosch unit, so you should be able to find a place locally that will rebuild it for you. Let us know what you find out. -Steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts