Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my 85 QV. Drove it 590 miles from down south to my house with no problems. Put it to bed. I got up started it the next morning and now I have this squeal. At first, it seemed to go away after the car had warmed up. Now it's pretty constant. I don't hear it above 4K RPM. I do not think it is the throwout bearing as the noise changes with the engine speed and not by depressing the clutch. The clutch engages fine with no binding in any gears.. It is definitely not any of the belts, or alt or cam bearings. It is definitely seems to be coming from the location of the lower transfer gear area, towards the transmission. I managed to add some gear oil to the cluch cover fill point and to the transmission pan. That seems to quiet it till the bearing warmed up. Any thoughts? is bearing failure something that happens alot? Is there something else I should be looking at? :eek:

·
Registered
37 Posts
:work:
Is the sound the same in all grears? Same with car stoped, in gear. and out of gear? If the sound is gone with the clutch pressed in, car stoped, in gear then it has to be on the engine side of the clutch or in the clutch system.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thaks for the reply... the sound changes with engine rpm. Could be that the stock exhaust is just too loud to hear it above 3k or so. Depressing or releasing the clutch has no effect. Doesn't matter if it's in gear or not. It's not the clutch. the noise is down low near the lower transfer (drive) gear.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Put the car in frist, clutch in, car stopped. this will stop all of the drive gears and shafts. If the noise is still there it's not in the trans.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts