Ferrari Life Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone anying buying experiences at the Sports Car Company that they'd be willing to share?

·
Super Moderator
2,210 Posts
Resurrecting this to ask the same question.

They frequently have some very attractive cars for sale. Has anyone here had a good or bad, buying/selling experience with them?

If this is too sensitive to air publicly, a PM would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
Well

Resurrecting this to ask the same question.

They frequently have some very attractive cars for sale. Has anyone here had a good or bad, buying/selling experience with them?

If this is too sensitive to air publicly, a PM would be appreciated.

I've had a marginal experience, but, honestly it was exactly as advertised. Not the people were the problem not the lack of PPI which Jim and company was glad to oblige. Very personalble, and Jim even picked me up at the airport.

Their cars, and they turn over tons [ IIRC they bill themselves as the largest NA number of Ferrari transactions/'sales'] Mostly re-gurgitating if you will the same cars over again between dealers.

They are kind of a middle man in the biz if not also end re-sellers.

Having said that the common thoughts are:
1. you get, what you pay for: Jim prices his cars exactly IMO for what they are worth, if not a couple K below for the 'things you'll probably do VERY soon'; I believe he's about spot on there.
2. if you understand what you are getting, there should honestly be no complaints, albeit, I'm sure Jim Lyons has had a fair share over the decades for those don't know exotics.
3. be prepared ...that is, expect some repairs right off, OR NOT!

4. You can get some VERY nice models as well.

5. Seems, but I have no direct experience, that Jim will stand by his evaluations and you can deal more directly after the fact even if you don't like the purchase he'll help off-load it....might even help on some direct disaster: Then that's out of my direct experience.

Depends on how you want to enter the market.

BUT remember there are NO true bargains in Ferrari. You get what you pay for and expect to pay to bring it to 'normalization' for an 'underpriced' model.

·
Registered
71 Posts
He's good but you gotta be good too

I bought a wonderful 360 (still have it) from SCC/Jim Lyons several years ago by long distance and after considerable research. The transaction went smoothly, I felt well and fairly treated in all regards, and I would not hesitate for an instant to buy another car from him. I think it's useful to realize Lyons is a high volume low drag international broker of very long standing and with a strong reputation among sophisticated buyers. He will answer questions when he has the information but he will not do your homework for you and he will not suggest questions or issues he feels you should already be aware of. Just keep in mind that most of us are small potatoes to him --- buying only a single car and (unless you're looking at his Enzo) a cheap one at that ;-)

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
+1

I bought a wonderful 360 (still have it) from SCC/Jim Lyons several years ago by long distance and after considerable research. The transaction went smoothly, I felt well and fairly treated in all regards, and I would not hesitate for an instant to buy another car from him. I think it's useful to realize Lyons is a high volume low drag international broker of very long standing and with a strong reputation among sophisticated buyers. He will answer questions when he has the information but he will not do your homework for you and he will not suggest questions or issues he feels you should already be aware of. Just keep in mind that most of us are small potatoes to him --- buying only a single car and (unless you're looking at his Enzo) a cheap one at that ;-)
what he said....knew I left something out.

·
Super Moderator
2,210 Posts
Thanks for the responses. It's good to know the guy and his shop come recommended from "real" people.

Strong eBay feedback is always a good sign, but those figures can be easily manipulated.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sports Car Company

I bought a 355 spider from Jim Lyons at the Sports Car Company. He was very professional and a pleasure to do business with. I have no reservations recommending him. My name is Alan Goldberg. He will probably remember me.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Jim Lyons has been a friend of mine for some time. I see him every time I am in LaJolla.

He's a first class pro.

You can put your confidence in him.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.