Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm waiting for delivery of my 348 Serie Speciale...(ultra jazzed about that)...and looking through various website to find info regarding this beauty. At the348.com site they recommend changing plugs to a platnum split fire style. The Ferrari dealer said they are not good and has submitted a estimate for a Minor 15k service where he will charge $244 parts plus $80 labor to replace plugs with factory. I know I need to be prepared for outragous fee's but... Anyone got experience with other plugs? Are they a problem?

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
I have always gone with the stock Ferrari recommended plugs and never had a problem. Don't see any reason to change. Only time |I had an issue with plugs is when a prior owner had fitted the wrong "performance plugs". Once we swapped them out for stock, all the problems disappeared.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
I've got the split fire plugs in the Jeep and I guess they are alright. I didn't notice any difference in starting or performance, but they have been in there for 8 years if that tells you anything. I put the stock Bosch plugs in the Ferrari about 3 years ago and I think they need changing. I might try changing the Ferrari over to the Splitfire.

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
I personally would go with the original stock plug, which I think is NGK. We change plugs every day in different vehicles and it is amazing how some vehicles can react negatively to an incorrect plug.

I always specify NGK from my suppliers as I have never had a problem with their plugs or we use OE (which are sometimes Bosch or Denso etc). I am not a great fan of Bosch plugs anymore (long story!). If you want longlife plugs than I think that NGK also do a platinum version and an Iridium version but they are expensive.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with the NGK recommendation. I used them as a kid in my rocket bikes. They were hands down the best then. RE price. the Iridium versions are roughly 12 each. The Ferrari dealer wants 40 each for OEM. Guess who wins.

SB

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
I personally recommend NGK, but if you want a good plug, Denso’s Iridium are fantastic. They also need less power to “work” (generate spark). I personally don’t like Bosch. I have installed Denso’s in my Sierra and the 350Z and both preform really well.

~

1 - 6 of 6 Posts