Ferrari Life Forum banner

South African FLED started

9K views 88 replies 16 participants last post by  dinogt4guy 
#1 · (Edited)
We just came to Johannesburg this morning to share a 1 week South African FLED under summer condition and 25 degrees Celsius with our dear old and new friends Vitalone, Barry and John. Our flights brought us in from Zurich and Dublin while Vitalone came from Namibia. We are greatly hosted by "Schumacher" here in Johannesburg at his spectacular house. We went this afternoon to the very interesting "Apartheit" Museum to grasp some important facts about this country here and start easy. I would rate this Museum a must if any of you ever is in Johannesburg. For the trip we will have 4 cars for 4 persons, a 308i GTS, a Porsche 911 E 1970, a 911 Turbo 930 1981 and we are still waiting for the secret, which car will John bring by tommorrow, when we all will start a long SA trip over about 3'000 km's. Yes, Porsche's are in majority and we will compare our classic experience to the prancing horses.
Some photos and further comments asap.

#7 · (Edited)
Guys excuse for waiting so long. Unfortunately Internet access in the Karoo desert region is sparse and here in Hermanus at the very south coast as well. So I try quickly to give you all an update and hope tomorrow or so David and Barry will add comments in a better english.
First of all, this driving travel is one of the best in my life. After the day in Johannesburg, we took the 4 cars, which is John with his Porsche 964 Carrera 4, and David, Barry and myself everyone swaping each half day the 2 Porsche 911 E 1970 2.2 and the 1981 Turbo as well as the 308 GTS. I know this is the Ferrari site but big honor has to be given to the 3 older Porsches. The 911 E drives spectacular sporty, light and extremely nimble in signalorange. The car revs easily and happily up to 7'000 rpm's, but as we drive sometimes up to 160' on the desert roads the car gets very light and moves all over the place as this series of 911 E has no stabilizing front spoiler, so I call it the respectful the sailing boat on which you constantly balance/correct with acceleration pedal and steering wheel the direction.

#8 · (Edited)
The 911 Turbo 1981 is the animal, fast and furios but be careful/mindful at what rpm level and steering wheel inclination you drive that fast 150 km long bend...because the Turbos suddenly may kick in. What a beast (F40 rememberings occurring). The roads are generally very good and you are really able to hit any kind of roads down here. Those fantastic Porsche's will accept and eat them all.
The 308 GTB for me is the best roadholding and balanced car. Sitting well and flat. Long fast desert bents with scary stones, bushes and abysses left and right but the securing feeling is the best (for me) in the 308. That said every car is absolutely wonderful in its own mean and respect. The colour of the 911 E is the best IMO! Absolutely love it.

What a great way to explore those difference again between different cars and outlays !!

#9 ·
Now to the traveling:
We went from Jo-burg to south of Collesburg on the afternoon of the second day, about 450 - 600 kms. Easy but with warm weather first, then heavy thunderstorm and hail inbetween and after that hot again. Extreme at times really as I had to work very hard in the "E".
We took an overnight rest at a wonderful out of the world barn, in the middle of the dust Karoo desert. Never in my life have I seen a more beautiful and intensive star filled sky in the night. Absolutely marvelous. Food was great and not to mention the wonderful longterm friendship between us all, having travelled already on so many occasions anywhere. We have been so much enthusiastic (after a couple of "desert" drinks) that will already started to "fantasize" about the next African trip, but that thru the Kalahari Desert in Botswana and then Namibia from north to south......yes in classic cars of course. (You may now grasp the level of alcohol already intaken).

#10 ·
Then yesteraday morning, we went early (before heat) from Collesberg thru magnificient valley's, huge flats and unbeatable panoramic impressions to the left and right down to the Coast to Hermanus, which locates about 80km east of cape town at the coast. It was especially interesting to realize the constant move down form the high Karoo plateau at around 1500 to 2000 m (like Johannesburg) and the relevant dryness to the green coast, more humid and with those wonderful winery plant areas.
We drove about 10 hours and a 1000km on normal road. Nothing for tired drivers. We loved it tremendeously. Driving classics at its best. We all feel that's what we like to do most in life....kind of..!

#11 · (Edited)
In Hermanus, 2 nice ladies from the travelling office were awaiting us as David ordered them to arrange all thing necessary, the great stay in the apartment hotel, great restaurants and else. I must say that for a Swiss prices for good hotels and restaurants are cheap in comparison here in SA. People are very, very friendly and except for internet access away from normal hotels everything is great. One thing to mention is the fact that sometimes you have to drive 200 kms to get to the next gaz station. Planning therefore is important. (Botswana must be 500kms in that respect)
Hermanus is a little town about 25'000 people and its most known for whale watching and great white shark diving. David previously organized a whale watching boat trip for today, and John and Barry joined him.
Since I have been diving many years before having the kids with the help of the nice travel agency lady I was able to catch 5:30 morning shuttle to the diving location on Gaansbay were a crew with a specialalized boat was awaiting me to go cage diving with the great white shark. Sadly enough I had to go alone as my wonderful friends assured me that "5:30 in the morning would be to early for them...." !

Dear friends let me tell you that this was of my best days ever. The sea was very rough to go out on that about 30 minute boat drive with huge, huge waves, that alone a intense experience. Once the boat ankered in 12-18meter deep water 3 km' offshore on a far away coastline they started to put the "fishsoup" in the water to attract our white friend. As soon as he showed up we went in the diving suit into the cage to follow the sharks from underwater.
I have dived with many kind of sharks in tropical seas but the pure size of those whites are especially underwater without comparison. They are so elegant, come suddenly out of nothing, extremely fast and hammer into the cage while trying to get those tunafish heads presented by the instructors via rope, turn sideways away and slap the cage again with the huge man large tailfin. The cage is only about 1 meter 50 in thickness but around 3 meter high. So when he turns and passes sideways along the cage while furiously trying to grasp that tuna head the breast fin comes sometimes accidently and partially into the cage. That's a chance to "handfeel" the white baby. After all we identified 5 different great whites coming along to greet. Downside: After being about 60 minutes in 14 degrees water, although with a 7mm rubber body on...I was done. All those interested go and do it also...its a lifetime experience as Gaansbay in SA is the ONLY place in the world where you can see great whites all year long without seasonal lags.

#12 ·
After all that some winery restaurant in the backlands of the SA coast have been on the agenda this afternoon. The car on this had to prove some Paris - Dakkar reliability as the road was mostly without tarmac........but the wine and food was excellent.
Tommorrow heading to cape town for 2 days and then back 1500 km's thru desert valleys again to Jo-burg.

Even in danger of repeating myself, SA is fabulous. And what a privilege for me to fly here, take over different classic cars, enjoying such a change in everything in such a great company of these friends. I feel extremely thankful to everybody eneabeling that, but most of all to David and Mike, who trustfully lend their cars and Mike his home to stay. What a friendship !! Thank you both !!

I try to add some pictures, maybe working otherwise more when at home in 5 days. Best to all!

#14 ·
Friends
Ive very little time as a beer awaits, and how could i ever add to 212's good comments, but here's a few pictures to accompany the words!

Edit - just noticed my 4000th post. What an apt one!

Attachments

#22 ·
As you can see the roads were perfect... most of the time :yikes:

Attachments

#23 ·
This truly is an amazing trip, through incredible landscapes, from mountain passes to barren desert crossings. An experience of cultures, characters, nature and motoring all rolled into one magnificent experience. African Fled is a must.

Attachments

#24 ·
Deserts, villages, mountain passes, and simply cruising.... 1,000km days in a hot driver's seat throws it all at you:steeringwheel::thumbsup:

Attachments

#25 ·
The desert and mountains finally gave way to the ocean. Today some down time and some whale watching and shark diving for the truly brave... :crowngrin:

Attachments

#26 ·
But soon after getting back on dry land, we have our first minor problem. A flat tyre in the 911 Turbo. Only a hiccup. 30 minutes later we're back on the road.:thumbsup:

Attachments

#27 ·
...And off to the Vineyard for some lunch and wine tasting... lucky we left the 308 back at base - it was a pretty rough ride off the beaten track to get to the vineyard. Nothing the P's couldn't handle though, and the 308 will be back in action tomorrow :steeringwheel: :crowngrin:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.