Ferrari Life Forum banner
41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Then on to dinner, and what a fantastic restaurant. Overlooking the bay, watching another spectacular African sundown, whilst feasting on fresh seafood. The romance was wasted on us as a bunch of petrol heads, but even we found time to stop, look and appreciate, before resuming the eternal Porsche vs. Ferrari debate that has been a wonderful, aspect of this unforgettable trip.:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Hi All

What an unbelievable trip!!! Work commitments have conspired to mean my missing this most Epic of drives. I will certainly have to make it up with a trip to Europe next year.

Rolf and Barry arrived on Wednesday and we fortunately managed to have a fantastic evening in Johannesburg together. Clynton (aka "Jay Kay") met us at the restaurant and in one evening the guys managed to see a fierce Highveld thunderstorm, sample one of Johannesburg's finest steaks, drink local beers and finish off with tequila and biltong (except for Rolf, who simply had to have chocolate after that!)

I felt very sad to see the convoy leave on Thursday morning without me but I have been in contact with the guys several times a day. I am relieved that so far the cars haven't skipped a beat. It certainly shows that using these classics daily gets them into fine form.

With most of my fleet down in the Cape, I have been forced to use the Diablo as my daily driver!!! Not a punishment I will concede.

I look forward to more photos and a write-up on the winelands and Cape Town.

Warm regards
Mike
What can I say, but we miss your presence in CT and an unbelievable thanks for all your help and generosity in the arranging of this trip.
Lets hope we can repay some of that kindness when you visit us in Europe in 2014!

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Its late, and we have to be up at 6am to drive 1,000km tomorrow, so I shall sign off with an observation... as a child I dreamt of seeing Ferrari's and Lamborghini's and Porsches. To sit in one was to dream too far. Not for the first time, I am mid Fled and thinking how privilaged we are to experience such trips.

Long may it last for all of us. It is truly an experience to be grateful for.

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
Barry et al, what can I say. You guys are like the explorers, blazing thru new paths, our heroes ! :thumbsup:

w/ smiles

Jimmy

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Thanks for the abundant photographs!

Africa is Africa is Africa!

You have had extraordinary steaks, fresh lovely sea food and of course world class SA wines. Have you tried any interesting SA slow cooking pots yet? There are apparently so many SA specialties that you don't get outside of SA. Please do comment if you come across a SA specialty you like. I'm very interested in SA cooking. :thumbsup:

Any of you die hard Ferraristi ending up with an early 911 soon??? They are very charming and I suspect you will come home with a yearning for one?!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Hi All

I unfortunately have just had to arrange for the 308 to be towed back to Cape Town after the guys made it 2 hours into the trip home. There was some smoke coming from the engine bay and it seems like an electrical problem with some wires melting down. I am praying that it isn't anything too serious.

David and Barry have been delayed by a few hours but should be on their way again.

I will post an update if I hear anything

Regards

Mike

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Hi All

I unfortunately have just had to arrange for the 308 to be towed back to Cape Town after the guys made it 2 hours into the trip home. There was some smoke coming from the engine bay and it seems like an electrical problem with some wires melting down. I am praying that it isn't anything too serious.

David and Barry have been delayed by a few hours but should be on their way again.

I will post an update if I hear anything

Regards

Mike
Oh nooo!!!:yikes:

I hope it's nothing serious and a quick fix. I would hate to see the Ferrari losing to the Porsches in reliability. :cry3:

·
Registered
439 Posts
The tow truck driver thinks its the coils that went terminal. That shouldn't be a biggie. Anyhow, will just hold thumbs.

In speaking to the guys, she ran beautifully and held the Ferrari flag high. I had glowing compliments from Rolf and Barry about my humble GTSi!

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
The tow truck driver thinks its the coils that went terminal. That shouldn't be a biggie. Anyhow, will just hold thumbs.

In speaking to the guys, she ran beautifully and held the Ferrari flag high. I had glowing compliments from Rolf and Barry about my humble GTSi!
The 308 is extremely underestimated (even with the high esteem it is getting!) and also a bit underpriced. It's truly a wonderful car! How kind of you to lend it to the FLED!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Thanks for all of these pics Barry!

The trip looks sensational and as for those cars in the museum. Amazing. What a Ferrari line up. Fair dinkum that Nembo spider is so beautiful! Was there also a 288 there?

Your travel documentation is much appreciated mate.

David.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Was there also a 288 there?
Yes, there was. Ferrari line up was Nembo, 250 SWB, 275, 288 F40 & Enzo.

I believe there is an F50 around as well but was not on display.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
What a line up then Barry! I have seen an F40 but the others are still on my bucket list.

Thanks once again for posting mate,

David.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Ok , so here are the final installations - written from a cold and windy Dublin :cry3:

So as you know we set out from Cape Town on a 1,100km journey Bloemfontein, and about 200km into the journey we encountered what we think was an electrical problem in the feisty little 308 GTS. Initial worst case scenario fears, when I pulled over to see a cloud of smoke from the rear and David running towards me with a fire extinguisher! But fears were subsided slightly when we opened the engine lid to find the smoke coming from the rear lights and not the engine and with a distinctive 'electrical' smell.

After cooling down, we started again, and whilst temperatures and pressures were reading perfect, power was down, so we limped to a petrol station in Touws River (how apt!) and call the AA. The 964 riding 2 up, went on (in true Top Gear, 'every man for himself' fashion :crowngrin:) and David and I then amused ourselves for 3 hours by drinking coffee, talking motors, watching the dust-storms outside and working out the perfect garage and sources of the necessary budget, before our Italian, Ferrari loving pick up driver arrived to transport the GTS back to the Ferrari dealer in Capetown.

It was a sad scene to see the little open top departing on a flat bed, but as Mike says hopefully it will transpire that the fault is reasonably minor, and the GTS had provided immense driving pleasure to us all up to that point, so much so that I have been completely smitten with the notion of open top, classic Ferrari ownership and also had a re-think on the eternal carb vs. injection debate as well. Jury is out, but current thinking is carb PLUS injection would be an ideal scenario! :steeringwheel:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Interestingly enough, after waiting 3 hours for our flat bed, 2 arrive at the same time, and as if to re-inforce the stereotype of Italian cars, a Maserati was sitting on the back of the 2nd truck!!

We jumped into the 911E and 930 Turbo - bid 'Ciao Bella' to the red italian stallion and pointed our cars northwards...

Attachments

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
So now, 3 hours behind schedule, 1 car down and 900km to go we set out for what can only be described as a truly epic drive. Time was against us, and the desert roads can get dangerous and unpredictable after sun-down so we pressed on, the 911's making good progress as we reeled in the 964.

Coffee and petrol stops excluded (and mandatory change of driver seat) we drove straight until night fall. Even though it set us back 30 minutes and we lost the last of our daylight, whilst stationary, the sight of the sun setting behind the mountains was too much for me and I pulled off the road, followed by David to see the sun dip behind the mountains from the tranquility and solitude of our lay by in the middle of the Karoo desert.

I cannot express in words the sheer beauty and awe of that sunset. The warm evening, the 911's ticking as they cooled, the sun dipping below the mountains and as it fell the sky turned from blue, to amber, to red, to indigo and finally dusk arrived and the southern stars in all their millions lit up the sky and guided two weary drivers home....

Attachments

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Donkeys, Ducks and Dreary Drivers...

But we still had 300+ km to go and now with daylight gone, we eased back on the gas, and settled into a cruise through the desert, windows down, the air cooling the cabin and the P's driving faultlessly into the night.

And how lucky we were that we eased back. As we rounded one bend, I was leading in the 911E only to be confronted by 3 donkeys appearing out of the darkness dead centre and blocking both lanes of the road. Emergency breaking, then pick a 911 size gap between donkey no. 2 and 3 straight through the gap only to see David in the 911 Turbo squeeze through the same gap. Thank God those rear wheel Turbo arches aren't a single inch wider!

As luck would have it a garage loomed ahead, and with the adrenaline pumping, hands shaking and sweat beading I pulled over to gather our thoughts and have a coffee. As we pulled in to the forecourt, we had to stop once again, to allow Mother Duck and her ducklings wander between the petrol pumps before we could pull up to the pumps.

What a scene, coffee and donuts, analysis of the sunset, the stars, the donkeys and the ducks. You could not make this stuff up.

Only in Africa! :yikes::steeringwheel::thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Barry, every time I press the post button I notice that you have reposted. Without fear of missing another one, let me take this opportunity to thank you for your wonderful commentary and pics. A true romantic and enthusiast!

David.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Sorry, I can't resist. I owned both a 911 SC and a 930 Turbo Cab about 20 years ago. Your posts are flooding back so many great memories for me. Those cars were bullet proof!

David.

41 - 60 of 89 Posts