Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hello everyone, Im new to this forum and have only owned my 2001 Maranello for a few months now.. candy red, tan leather with a hamann exhaust.. it came with a previously installed Alpine stereo that doesnt sound too good.. anyone have any tips or idea on which system would be most suitable? as i have no experience in this feild.. im also fitting some hipnotic wheels 360 variety/with the red strips) soon, will be sure to post pics

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Welcome Julero!
I believe that you are our first Omani on the site. Can't wait to see some pics of your car. I'm afraid I can't help with the sound system. The crappy Blaupunkt stereo on my 308 stopped working about 6 years ago and I never bothered to fix it. The only sound system in my car comes from 4 webber 2-bbl carbs. Music enough for me! :)

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Welcome to Ferrarilife Julero. I can't help you with your sound system, but out of curiosity do you have Alpine speakers also?

Chris

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
Welcome Julero,

What kind of sound are you looking for? Alpine usually make good head units, but there is a lot more to a good sound system, speakers, amps etc. I personally like Becker head units (I think these were OE on later 550's), but I am no expert. I would go with Boxers recommendation of asking Magnum6464.

Where in Oman are you based?

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Hi,

I was not a fan of the original Becker unit that was in my car. The sound was OK but the system was just too old and frankly CD changers drive me up the *#&[email protected] wall! I've been using MP3's for 8 years now.

I'm not sure what you're looking for - if you want to upgrade the actual speakers and install a power amp I'm not the guy to speak to. But you may be interested in the unit I had installed in my 550 in November: it's the JVC KD-NX5000, and it's a SatNav unit with built-in hard drive. I've got about 110 CD's on there with room for more, just the ticket for me.

I've also got a rear-view camera installed - really, really useful gadget.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
You're right CD changers are archaic. I am not sure what they fitted in the 550, but the new Becker systems are very good, I have an Indianapolis Pro (Sat Nav with iPod connection) and I love it.

Blaupunkt make excellent systems also, I had always been a fan, but I found the build quality became suspect. I am not sure how the new systems are.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the welcome guys, :) i actually heard that everything in a system works as one unit: stereo, speakers, subs.. you change one and the rest fail, that could be the case with mine.. as the sound is fairly weak in comparison to my other cars.. i also heard that an original ferrari sound system runs over $20,000 so ill look into testing out a few before i decide on which to purchase..

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Thanks for the welcome guys, :) i actually heard that everything in a system works as one unit: stereo, speakers, subs.. you change one and the rest fail, that could be the case with mine.. as the sound is fairly weak in comparison to my other cars.. i also heard that an original ferrari sound system runs over $20,000 so ill look into testing out a few before i decide on which to purchase..
No, that's not really correct. There has to be a match between the amps and the speakers but there is a fairly big tolerance. For a standard Maranello, if you change only the head unit everything should be fine as by far most stereos use the 4x40w power amp ser-up. You would only need to upgrade the speakers if you go for a separate power amp. If the car already had a power amp with matching speakers, then you could keep that and swap the stereo as well - they don't have to be the same brand or anything.

I'm not sure what you have in mind for an "original Ferrari sound system" but I have not seen any stereo mounted in the factory that approaches anything like that number. The BOSE unit + Becker Navigation in the F430 is around $5,000 I think.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the post Jazz.. Well I went ahead and bought a JVC KD-AVX33 head unit and JVC KS-AX6604 Amplifier, the amp turned out to be too big to fit under the seat.. so the only viable option was to set it against the back (behind the seat), :confused: im not sure if thats a good idea with the gas tank directly behind it.. the mechanic seemed to think its ok.. im not trying to turn my car into a moving disco, I just want to be able hear my music clear enough over the engine sound...:p

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Thanks for the post Jazz.. Well I went ahead and bought a JVC KD-AVX33 head unit and JVC KS-AX6604 Amplifier, the amp turned out to be too big to fit under the seat.. so the only viable option was to set it against the back (behind the seat), :confused: im not sure if thats a good idea with the gas tank directly behind it.. the mechanic seemed to think its ok.. im not trying to turn my car into a moving disco, I just want to be able hear my music clear enough over the engine sound...:p
Not sure what the problem would be because of the fuel tank - it's certainly not going to explode. ;)

You could also move it into the trunk, although you would need more cabelling.

Onno

·
Registered
46 Posts
I always put the amplifier/s install in the trunk on the 550... If you have a new deck and amp I assume you still have stock speakers and I would consider new speakers as well, as the ferrari speakers are the worst part of the stock system. The only problem is you need someone with installation experience with a 550 to do the install.....

Scott

1 - 13 of 13 Posts