Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my '78 308 I had believed the ignition to be stock until today.last week on ride home car lost power-felt like one side of engine not firing. Limped home last 5oo or so yards, big back fire on shut down. Also, sounded like a car I sucked a valve on many years ago. Started by removing distributor caps. Forward dist. only has one set of points that are connected thru dist. to capacitor and no wire from there to coil. Rearward cap must have 2 pick-ups for electronic ignition as 2 pairs of wires come out of dist.Coils are marked as "flamethrower II" and I can find no brain box. Any one know what I've got?
Further, I'm a little worried to turn engine over after backfire on noticing a chunk of forward timing belt is torn. Possibly jumped time and I'm making decision whether to park my toy for winter tear down or tow to local shop in hopes of still driving some this season.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
follow up.
rear most dist has 2 electronic pick ups and seems to be pertronix brand system. Directly connected to ballast resistors that test ok and coils that are working.Now to check timing, does plate next to oil filter cover marks on flywheel for timing? any thoughts what timing should be set to? does anyone know if 2 rotors should be 180 degrees apart? Now wondering about carb problem.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts