Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 234 Posts

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what is it going to take - c'mon guys let's make a record for posting this month.

Anyone know the highest post count in one month?

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
I could run a query to try and get the data. To 'wake this place up' as the title says, requires a certain critical mass to be reached. We have a steady amount of posts per day and have for last 3+ years. You just won't get the 50+ replies in 15 minutes you get at other places. We'll get there.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
We're going for quality not quantity :) ...but pictures of naked women will help! Make sure you find the "Backroom Lounge" section here.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Fun

this place is lots of fun, as time passes,,i think this site will be getting more and more Ferrari lovers to join,,,,,like i said before,,,it absolutely feels like my Kawi and Suzuki forums,,,,im not so sure about the naked ladys,,,but im sure somebody will think of something !!!! lol

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,132 Posts
Some new topics will help.

I think the difference with this site, is that everyone knows what their car is worth, how often to change the belts, and what they do for a living. ;)

Besides, does post count matter when it's just the same 6-8 people constantly posting back and forth? Like others have said, quality, not quantity.

By the way... What happened to Jedi? He was posting here for a weekend and then disappeared. That was about the time he was given a lifetime membership to that other site. :)

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We're going for quality not quantity :) ...but pictures of naked women will help! Make sure you find the "Backroom Lounge" section here.
Is there a backroom lounge?

Every so often I would peruse but never posted or spent much time there.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I could run a query to try and get the data. To 'wake this place up' as the title says, requires a certain critical mass to be reached. We have a steady amount of posts per day and have for last 3+ years. You just won't get the 50+ replies in 15 minutes you get at other places. We'll get there.
It will get there - maybe not 50 but enough support to keep a thread topic lively.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some new topics will help.

I think the difference with this site, is that everyone knows what their car is worth, how often to change the belts, and what they do for a living. ;)

Besides, does post count matter when it's just the same 6-8 people constantly posting back and forth? Like others have said, quality, not quantity.

By the way... What happened to Jedi? He was posting here for a weekend and then disappeared. That was about the time he was given a lifetime membership to that other site. :)
I agree - the $ value and maint. threads were ridiculous!

I wouldn't mind 4 of those 8 posting here :)

Regarding Jedi - first of all I consider Dave a friend and he is one of those guys you are friends with instantly after you meet him.

Geez - is f-chat that scared of this place.

Some members were unhappy and I wondered why as did other members why he got that deal.

Now it's obvious ... for a month or so he posted like crazy and posted some interesting threads. Dave has been working hard so his posts were way down.

Still shaking my head at the whole act - now that I see how they scamper.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Is there a backroom lounge?

Yes there is, can't remember what I had to do to get it to show up but I'm sure someone here can give you the key! It's part of the "Drivers Lounge" area but I think you have to go into your profile and click on something to have it show up?

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
OK, I'm in.

Ed, I didn't think it was possible, you made even this salty sailor cringe....

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
To 'wake this place up' as the title says, requires a certain critical mass to be reached. We have a steady amount of posts per day and have for last 3+ years.
I think you are dead-on with the critical mass comment but the second comment is a bit troubling.

If I'm not mistaken you've had pretty decent registered member growth in the past year...10%? So you'd expect the post rate or at least the hit rate to be growing at a similar rate and I would think (although this is NOT my field of expertise) that activity is what drives growth and growth activity. It should be a fairly strong positive feedback loop so if one is changing and not the other I'm confused.

It doesn't really matter that much in my world as the section most interesting to me has seen a really nice up tick in activity and general coolness over the past year but I'm confused why the rest of the sections seem flat.

Maybe there are just too many section for the activity level so the content gets a bit diluted? Don't get me wrong, the way things are broken down make really good sense, but there are a lot of places to look at to not miss anything and I wonder is a more condensed layout would turn the mass available into a critical mass?

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I don't think there are any more sections here than most other forums... if anything there are less. I think the more obvious issue is the perception by many that F-chat did it first in terms of growing a user base. All the other Ferrari centric sites have had to play catch up. I will say I think that this site has actually grown over the last few years. And the word is spreading about what a bunch of asshats the collective powers that be have turned into over there.

Another disadvantage could be that many topics have been hashed and rehashed and rehashed again on f-chat. How many different ways can you ask about performing a major service? What would compell you go on another site and ask the exact same thing? I think the word has to spread that you can get an intelligent answer here without the drama of some keyboard tough guy trying to belittle you for asking a question or posting an opinion.

I think the simplest way to wake this site up is to post exclusive content and keep it here. For example, our own annapolis c&c... pics and details should be posted here and here alone. Not here and f-chat. To put it another way commit to this site and forget about the rest. That's in essence what has happened on f-chat.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think you are dead-on with the critical mass comment but the second comment is a bit troubling.

If I'm not mistaken you've had pretty decent registered member growth in the past year...10%? So you'd expect the post rate or at least the hit rate to be growing at a similar rate and I would think (although this is NOT my field of expertise) that activity is what drives growth and growth activity. It should be a fairly strong positive feedback loop so if one is changing and not the other I'm confused.

It doesn't really matter that much in my world as the section most interesting to me has seen a really nice up tick in activity and general coolness over the past year but I'm confused why the rest of the sections seem flat.

Maybe there are just too many section for the activity level so the content gets a bit diluted? Don't get me wrong, the way things are broken down make really good sense, but there are a lot of places to look at to not miss anything and I wonder is a more condensed layout would turn the mass available into a critical mass?
It has to be something simple - there are a lot of guys that sign up and post less than 5 times.

I am going to give it a go in hopes viewers start participating by posting.

I began posting my renovation project of my home and it made a nice bump in Rossa.

Open to suggestions :)

·
Super Moderator
2,210 Posts
I think more technical content & discussions would help, but then I'm a geeky engineering type, and my own family considers me to be antisocial (I can't help it but tech discussions about engines are infinitely more interesting than discussing what the latest fashion statement the flying pigs are making on Farmville) :thumbsup:

With due respect to the engine builders (mk_e, Brett & Chris) their threads comprise most of what's happening on the techie side of things (and of course Newman, with his awesome Boxer thread) I've added a bit of content in the 550 area, and hope to have more little projects to post about soon, but I think the tech side of things really needs more participation.

Doug, perhaps the guys that only post 5 times then quit do so because they don't get any response or interest in their posts?

And then some here are probably shy about posting for fear of being taken off at the knees, but the atmosphere and membership here just isn't like that. Thankfully, no one here is trying to prove how tough they are or how smart they are.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think more technical content & discussions would help, but then I'm a geeky engineering type, and my own family considers me to be antisocial (I can't help it but tech discussions about engines are infinitely more interesting than discussing what the latest fashion statement the flying pigs are making on Farmville) :thumbsup:

With due respect to the engine builders (mk_e, Brett & Chris) their threads comprise most of what's happening on the techie side of things (and of course Newman, with his awesome Boxer thread) I've added a bit of content in the 550 area, and hope to have more little projects to post about soon, but I think the tech side of things really needs more participation.

Doug, perhaps the guys that only post 5 times then quit do so because they don't get any response or interest in their posts?

And then some here are probably shy about posting for fear of being taken off at the knees, but the atmosphere and membership here just isn't like that. Thankfully, no one here is trying to prove how tough they are or how smart they are.
I have sifted into a lot of posts and threads lately and they do seem to linger before a response. Which is a numbers thing unless we all start making an effort to put some more time and effort into threads.

In f-chat I slowly started sharing my personal life as did a lot of other members. I never felt my threads or posts were to my detriment but I did see others get a swift kick in the nuts for no reason.

This place just has a different feel - maybe I am naive but feel a heck of a lot more comfortable posting here vs the loaded questions by the tag team users.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts

That was kind of my point with too many places. I post in tect, you post in 550, other's post where ever and the technical stuff you want to see is just hard to find and questions linger without answers while people who could answer simply don't ever find the question.

10 years ago when f-chat was at 10k users there were only like 5 main sections, and then some local social sections and as much as I hate to Give Rob credit for anything, that might have been a better formula for the activity level of the time.

I really like the concept of 308/550/whatever only subforums but that means a lot of stuff that might be general interest gets missed by a lot of people. I also really like the wiki idea and think it could be a really valuable tool.

Maybe the answer is :
General
Restoration
Maintenance
Hop-up

Then do a wiki that is structured for the model specific article type stuff. Write so many pages and you get a free year membership or something a even if it's only taking the time to turn a good thread into a wiki page it would still be very valuable to everyone and since it's a wiki it can be rev'd or added to as new info comes available to create the kind of owners manual that ferrari never supplied.

Something like this might give this forum something unique while pushing the discussions into a more concentrated easy to find , critical mass kind of situation.

Maybe......

1 - 20 of 234 Posts