Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checked out a car recently which the owner "never took over 5000". OK, better that way than the other extreme I guess, but how do YOU drive your car(s)?

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Occasionally I'll "open 'er up" and run her through the gears and I have once had it on the highway in 5th gear and pushing the redline.

But that is the exception rather than the rule. I'm generally very easy on my car. I'm afraid of repair bills and speeding tickets.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Change near the red line until I reach the 6th gear. Then I'll cruise at 6,500 to 7,000. The excitement is accelerating to the red line and changing the gears. That's when I pretend I'm a race driver. :lol:

·
Registered
293 Posts
Generally, i place the key in the ignition, depress the clutch and move the stick shift to neutral. Then i rotate the key in the ignition to the right.

How do i drive it??? Umm... i think i need to change oil every 2k miles... and this is "high life" Amsoil Pro 2000 race 20-50 synth stuff. Guess living between 5k to 7k rpm quite a bit makes the oil really important.

Oh, and the odd alleged 101mph in a 55mph zone doesn't help matters (see attached image).

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
I believe in a ZERO CARBON policy in my engines. At least once during a drive I will nail it to the mat through all of the gears, shifting at around 6800 RPM (which is peak HP curve) to blow the carbon out. If possible I hit 100 MPH at least once on every drive (just for me). Otherwise I run at moderate RPM's when shifting, 3500 to 5k RPM, take my time shifting depressing the clutch fully.

Moderate cornering loads with the occasional throw into a turn just to feel the tires and suspension working.

My last trip to Vancouver, B.C. for a show was easy freeway driving, obeying speed limits (mostly). 250 mile round trip in temps 80 to 90 degrees

Oil changes every 2k miles, constant monitoring of coolant temps kicking on the fans manually when stuck in traffic.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
enjoythemusic said:
Oh, and the odd alleged 101mph in a 55mph zone doesn't help matters (see attached image).
OUCH, that has got to hurt, we don't get that thing called recless driving when we get caught speeding.
they just take away our license and say because you where driving to fast, hasn't happened to me, i've just received some "speeding" tickets in the mail

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Dirk,

The reckless driving is given when the office cannot get you with the speed gun. As Steven said "alleged" meaning the office perhaps witnessed what he [the officer] wished he could do.

Steven,

Tuff luck, I feel for you. That must have sucked. What was the officer like when he pulled you over?

·
Registered
383 Posts
full throttle for as long as i can hold it (and v-max it when the road is clear). only in the ferrari tho. In any other car(s), i'm usually a cruiser.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
The longer I have my 550, the more I drive it as a normal car. Today, I drove it twice to the hardware store to get things I needed. I never get everything I need the first time I go. I ALWAYS forget something.

It has become just another car to me. Well, not just another car but I drive it as a car.

One thing I have not tired of is the men who come up to me and talk about my car. That is one thing I love about the 550. Men always talk about it. Sometimes I wish women would do that but it has not happen yet.

8)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Bart said:
One thing I have not tired of is the men who come up to me and talk about my car. That is one thing I love about the 550. Men always talk about it. Sometimes I wish women would do that but it has not happen yet.

8)
It's good that they don't mistake for a vett or mustang!

·
Registered
151 Posts
No, honestly! I only drive my car enthusiastically. That means almost red lining through the gears and keep the RPM above 6K when reaching speed unless I am driving through town. Just put fresh rubber in the rear and in the last three days I have been breaking them in. The car feels like it has unlimitted grip! So after about a couple of heat cycles and 150 miles or so I started pushing it and what a feeling it is... Can't wait for August 22nd Sears Point open track day.

Cheers,

·
Registered
776 Posts
Well...not a Ferrari :( but...

My Mustang...cruise with the top down. Nice and easy...no hurry. It's a 4 cylinder so it's just for cruising.

My Grand Am...wide open. Full throttle, hard corners, fast into and out of the turns, peg the needle as much as possible. Can't hit redline as the limiter is set at 3500 rpm in 5th and redline is 6500 (still good for 110mph.) Yes 110 is not that fast comparativly, however when I hit it as fast as I do...it amazes most others; that and I will be having it reprogramed very soon to take full advantage of those extra 3000 rpms.
Oil change every 3000 miles is a must for me. New brakes every year. Keep the tires inflated propperly and rotated. And...most importantly...watch for the pesky blue lights. Use bait cars when possible to avoid those lights in my rear window.

On the 17th of July, I will be participating in a Ferrari drive with my Grand Am. I have already been told I will probably beat most of the 308's that will be there. :wink:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts