Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK time to show me your knowledge again. Whip out the books if you don't already know this one. Before Fiat Ferraris were assigned numbers very differently and the engine had a seperate number as well?

After Fiat all this changed?

So what is the most common used number/method to catagorize Ferraris?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Well, before the Fiat take-over, the general assignment of numbers was odd-ending numbers were road cars, even-ending were racing cars. I say general as a few were backwards to that arrangement deliberately!

After the takeover, all cars were odd-ending, but my GT4 is even-ending. The reason: As it was a continuation of the Dino marque, it continued their numbering system, which happened to be even-ending. Even though they weren't racing cars and were made during the Fiat years.

As for engine S/N's I have no idea of their pattern. More than likely sequentially as they rolled out of the machine-shop...

·
Registered
824 Posts
I am not totally sure about this, but all Ferrari's have a serial number. Since somewhere around 1980 a VIN (Vehicle Identification NUmber) was needed for the US market. That is why all cars from that era onwards have a full 17 digit VIN. The engine numbers used to be the same as the number of the car, hence we are talking about matching numbers in ads of auctions. If they don't have matching numbers, it means another engine is place in the car than it came with from the factory.

However, modern cars do not have matching numbers. I am not sure about how this is appointed, so can't help you there. I think it is just a batch number.

There is also a assembly number in each car. This should indicate which car was built first, and in which follow-up (not always the same series as the serial numbers)

As for the even/odd system, this ended with serial number 75000. After that, they used every number. You may notice that this is not the time when Fiat took over, but some 15 years later!

Niels

·
Registered
824 Posts
ZFF stands for Italy, Ferrari, Maranello Factory (Every Ferrari should start with this!)

For the rest you can see which market it is intended for, which safety features and which engine types are in it. I can't help you from memory but check out this link and it will all become clear:

http://www.ferrariclub.com/faq/vin.html

Niels

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
Thanks Niels
but that list isn't complete
it doesn't mention the 360 or 575.
Can one of the 360 owners (Didier) post a pic (or just type it in) of their vin number?

·
Registered
824 Posts
They will probably have a number used on others before. With only limited letters, they have to use them over and over again. I think the 575M uses the same digits (49) as the 550 Maranello, but I am not sure. Just check a 360s VIN on the next event you are going to visit, Dirk!!
:p :p :eek:ha:

Niels

·
Registered
49 Posts
the VIN number of my 360 Spider

Z FF YT 53 B0 00 129231

Z = Italie
FF = Ferrari
Y = not a 412 V12 but 360 V8
T = safety ??
53 = 360 Spider
B = lefthand drive
0 = checksum
0 = year model
0 = Italy
129231 = production number

Did I do my homework right ??

Didier.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
Hello Edvar

i know your site
A while back ago (month or 2-3) i sended you an e-mail regarding to your telaio list for a new membership, i never heard back from you, did you even received?

BTW welcome here
Dirk

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm sure that you will find me more often on this forum, especially this section. Always interesting topics.

Dirk, yes I received your email. I will reply soon (probably next weekend) and explain the situation, as there is a reason for this delay ...

Greetings, Edvar

1 - 15 of 15 Posts