Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys,
I still have not taken the 328 out yet. It will be soon though but I wanted to know from those of you that have 328's what the max speed is for each gear. I'm just curious. I know it has a short first gear so, i'll have to shift quickly out of it but how much can I push it in second, third and forth and then 5th? I dont intend to drive it HARD HARD HARD but not easy either meaning I intend to DRIVE it. Just dont want to break anything

Thanks,
Marc

·
Registered
293 Posts
Marc,

At first start of the day, allow about 4 minutes for her to begin warming up. The driver her normally with shifting at 3.5k rom or so until oil and water temps begin to rise. This takes about 4 to 7 miles depending on ambient temps. Once she is warm, you can shift at 6k rpm easily, though on the track i take the 308 (once hot) to 7.5k rpm at times. i believe the 'optimum' shift point is 6k but sometimes at the track you need to 'stretch' a gear.

FYI: Ferrari cars are meant to be DRIVEN and kept hot (90C). If you baby the car too much you will only cause a faster deterioration IMHO as the fluids/hoses/gaskets will not reach good temps .

REMEMBER: It is an ITALIAN sports car, not a Japanese grocery-getter.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
From the owner's manual it is 270 hp, 223 ft-lbs of torque with a max RPM of 7700. It weighs 2800 pounds.
Maximum speeds in the gears are:
1st - 43 mph
2nd - 63 mph
3rd - 88 mph
4th - 119 mph
5th - 161 mph

When I'm just driving the 308 I usually shift around 2500 to 3000. For "spirited driving" I usually try to keep the rpms above 3000 and shift between 5500 and 6500 rpms.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Pete,
That's exactly what I was looking for. I have the downloaded version of the Owners manual but did not see that data.

Thanks for the input guys,
Marc

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Yeah, I think I know where you were going with this. You can safely go into 3rd gear at highway speeds.
When you are on the highway, in 5th gear, doing 70 and some jerk is messing with you, drop 'er down into 3rd and go for it. Hit 4th at 7 grand and the jerk is no longer an issue.

·
Registered
70 Posts
while the subject of shifting gears in a Ferrari is on the table ive always wondered if the feel of the gated shifter was alot different than shifters in other cars. for some reason every time i immagin it i immagin it being easy to miss gears. eh sorry for such a weid question.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Not a weird question at all. Many people have wondered about the gated shifter. I think it is one of the nicer things about the car. It is not easier to miss gears with the gated shifter, it is, in fact, harder to miss gears. I've found it harder to select the proper gear in my buddy's Volkswagon with its sloppy feeling shifter.

The shift pattern is this:
R 2 4
1 3 5

In neutral the shifter spring-returns to the spot between 2nd and 3rd. So if you are in 4th and want to downshift, you simply pull back, let the shifter center itself, and drop it down into 3rd. All in the blink of an eye. Once the shifter is in the "gate" for a particular gear, it ain't going anywhere else except in that gear. It has the feel of a positive engagement, you don't feel like you are just pushing on a stick, you feel the actual gear engagement through the palm of your hand and your ears are rewarded with the "clicking" sound of metal against metal as the stick hits the gates.

It is hard to describe experience in words, I hope I've done an adequate job.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Damn that sounds sexy.

How do you think the future trends are going to pan out for manual transmissions. Its seems that they occupy a smaller and smaller market these days. F1 is great and all I guess, but Im not an F1 driver, Im not on an F1 course, I dont have an F1 team ... theres nothing F1 about it really. Is it necessary? I think standard is the way to go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts