Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all - am close to closing on my first ferrari (1989 328 GTS) but had a quick question. The owner mentioned that the only thing leaking on the car is the shift shaft seal(or something like that?). About a dime size per month on his garage floor after sitting a while.

He was told not to fix it as it's a known defect with the car and will always start to leak again. Does anyone know anything about this and can shed some light?

thanks and will post pics once received!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Shifter Shaft Seals

It is indeed a common problem. The seal itself is cheap, and can be replaced with the transmission in the car, but it takes some effort. The shifter rod must be removed first, which means removing the engine and transmission pans. On the end of the shifter rod is a lever that operates the gears, and once you remove that, you can remove the shifter shaft. The seal is held in place with a washer that is peened in. Grind away the peening, which is easy, and the seal falls out. There is a second seal, held in the same way, between the engine sump and transmission sump, so while you are in there, do that one, too. And since you have the shifter shaft out, replace the bushing on the end - it's cheap and presses in with a vise. Reassemble with new pan gaskets, and refill the engine and transmission. I've done this, although I had the trans out of the car, and upside down, so if you need advice, don't hesitate to ask. I hope this helps make up your mind. Welcome to the forum, and enjoy the 328. -Steve ('86 328GTS)

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info....would you bother replacing it or just keep an eye on it. supposedly the current owner has been "watching" it for the last 2 yrs without any change in leak size

·
Registered
366 Posts
Seals

I really HATE oil leaks, but in fact, in this case, it doesn't hurt anything. It just makes a mess on the underside of the engine, and on the garage floor. Just keep checking the oil levels in the engine and transmission. I'll let you know how long my new seals last... -Steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts