Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know where can i buy the oil on the web?
Only the dealer carries it!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Shella Rotella-T of the same grade or near it should be fine if you insist on Shell brand. There is no huge 'magic' about the Helix though will say avoud the Mobil 1 0W-40. Long story short, see http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/ubbthreads.php (with apologies for pointing to another forum.

While oil is not oil is not oil as there are differences, yet a good oil can be had for $5/pint without trouble. Am currently using Rotella-T 5W-40 in the 308 that is available at Walmart for very good price per gallon.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Steve,
Were you using the 5W-40 on the track when I saw you? I've been running Castrol 20W-50 in my car for street use. I remember with my Harley I used to adjust the oil by the season to keep the proper pressure. Maybe living in New England running the recommended 20W-50 isn't the right thing to do?

I'm due for a change, maybe I'll swing down to Walmart and pick up a case of 5W-40 Shell Rotella.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Steve, Were you using the 5W-40 on the track when I saw you?
Was using Mobil 1 0W-40 back then, yet Mobil seems to have changed the formula and on my last change late in the 2006 season something was indeed different (and not in a positive way). So now have switched to Shell Rotella-T 5W-40 in the blue gallon jug only available at Walmart. It is mainly pushed to diesel guys though fear not, works great in regular cars just fine. Big arse Diesel trucks need strong, durable oil with a certain additive pack that is said to be very good for hard use gassers.

I've been running Castrol 20W-50 in my car for street use.
Castrol makes some great oils though that is WAY too thick even for New England 'hot' summer. You can use the 5W-40 year around without fear.

I remember with my Harley I used to adjust the oil by the season to keep the proper pressure. Maybe living in New England running the recommended 20W-50 isn't the right thing to do?
20W-XX (anything) is bad bad bad IMO for your location. Your engine has to fight that thick 20W at start up. i can not recommend a 0W-XX at this time for summer use due to my lack of knowledge of a known good 0W-XX oil.

For winter (ambient under 55F) you could decide to use a 0W-30 without worry IMO and that is what i do. Basically it is oil FLOW you want and if the pressure is around 1 Bar per 1k rpm you are fine. That 20W lacks flow when cold, though am sure you get a staggering high 6 Bar+ while warming up.

I'm due for a change, maybe I'll swing down to Walmart and pick up a case of 5W-40 Shell Rotella.
Enjoy :)

NOTE: the above opinions are simply mine and everyone has different environments and usage of their car and oil needs. Best bet for detailed oil discussion is in the link i provided within the previous post

1 - 4 of 4 Posts