Ferrari Life Forum banner

Seriously Considering a Swap...

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Boxer 
#1 ·
For some time now I've been thinking I need a change, And I'm a retro kind of guy...I need something to do during the long dark evenings too....So an older project car is were I'm thinking of going....Maybe a DB4/6 (5's are already to expensive), or Jag XK140/150...I'd love a 50's /60's Ferrari, but truthfully It's never gonna happen, I'm well and truly priced out of that market. So what do you guys think?

This will never stop my interest in Ferrari and and I will continue to collect Telaio for the rest of my life.....I am just broadening my interests - this will be as well as the 550 BTW.

Argento

#3 ·
A DB4 would be a fun project car. I think I'd prefer that over the Jag. That whole James Bond thing.

Have you visited the sister site, Aston Martin Life?

#4 ·
For some time now I've been thinking I need a change, And I'm a retro kind of guy...I need something to do during the long dark evenings too....So an older project car is were I'm thinking of going....Maybe a DB4/6 (5's are already to expensive), or Jag XK140/150...I'd love a 50's /60's Ferrari, but truthfully It's never gonna happen, I'm well and truly priced out of that market. So what do you guys think?

This will never stop my interest in Ferrari and and I will continue to collect Telaio for the rest of my life.....I am just broadening my interests - this will be as well as the 550 BTW.

Argento
Not sure I agree with your views on the pricing, I think you can still find project 330 GT 2+2 and 365 2+2 in the same price range as a similar Aston DB4 or DB6. In terms of driving, either the Ferraris or Astons are going to provide a more spirited performance than the Jag.

#5 · (Edited)
I'm not a lover of the 330 or 365 2+2 family, and I have to disagree with the DB4 pricing, 4's are way above DB6's and I can't find a tatty car for less than £75k, add in the retoration costs for an Aston, (which are probably 50% more than that of a Jaguar), the economies of scale start to raise their head....

As for driving, a 3.8 S spec XK will out drive a standard DB4 and give a GT a run for it's money....Remember that the 3.8S is basically an E-Type engine in an earlier chassis, but it still has disc brake all round and is relativley light...Let's not forget Jaguar has a huge Le Mans heritage which it used when developing it's contemporay road cars.

I've just found the Aston Life forum too, So let's pose the question their too, I'd like to see what the Aston Die Hards have to say...

Argento

#7 ·
Saw the Octane article, The 140's are nice but not upto the drivability standards of a 150.
Anyway, test drove a '59 150'S' on Saturday, one word - Diabolical...I'm with Clarkson on this one, Child hood fantasies should remain so...It was terrible - Nuff said, Gonna try out a V8 Vantage next week instead, see if they can live upto expectations.

Failing that, looks like I'm saving up for a Plexi-nose Daytona or wait even longer for a low priced 288 GTO to show it's face...

Wish me luck..

Argento

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.