1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From CNN:

Going out on top

Schumacher wins Italian GP, says he plans to retire

MONZA, Italy (AP) -- Michael Schumacher will retire from Formula One after the season, announcing his decision Sunday moments after the seven-time world champion won the Italian Grand Prix.
The 37-year-old Ferrari driver, who holds every major record in the sport, will leave following the year-ending Brazilian Grand Prix on Oct. 22.
"Soon my future will belong to my family," Schumacher said after his 90th career victory and fifth in Monza. "But for now, what matters is this world championship."
Ferrari said it would announce a "new role" for Schumacher at the end of the season.
"I will always be part of the Ferrari family," he said.
The German was composed during his news conference. That was not the case immediately after his victory in which he drew within two points of leader Fernando Alonso with three races left. Kimi Raikkonen, who was on the pole, finished second and Robert Kubica was third.
"It was obviously pretty emotional the lap after the race, talking to everyone and telling them my decision," Schumacher said. "It just overwhelmed me."
Schumacher said he wanted to make the decision now so Felipe Massa could work out his future with the team. Ferrari said Massa will continue next season and be joined by Raikkonen, who moves over from McLaren-Mercedes.
"One day the day has to come, and I felt this was the moment," Schumacher said.
Franz Beckenbauer, the soccer great and Germany's most popular sports personality, called Schumacher's retirement a "pity."
"It's always too bad when such a great personality steps down," he said.
Thomas Bach, Germany's top sports official and a vice president of the IOC, said Schumacher's achievements "go beyond Formula One and sport itself."
Schumacher's seven titles are two more than Juan Manuel Fangio's five. Schumacher won his first two titles with the Benetton team in 1994 and '95, then restored Ferrari to prominence with five consecutive championships from 2000-04.
Schumacher said he "loved every single moment" of his career but made up his mind to retire after winning the U.S. Grand Prix in July.
"It's not as if I'm lacking anything," he said. "Might as well leave while I'm still at the top level."
The German showed signs of vulnerability when he won the 2003 title by only two points over Raikkonen. Schumacher responded with another dominant year in 2004, though, winning a record 12 of the first 13 races.
Alonso ended Schumacher's title run last year, with Schumacher and Ferrari struggling to adapt to rule changes intended to stop their dominance.
On Sunday, Schumacher won in 1 hour, 14 minutes, 51.975 seconds. Raikkonen was 8.046 seconds behind and Kubica of BMW-Sauber was 26.414 back.
"Monza is just unbelievable. It has always been, particularly when all the fans are out," Schumacher said. "Due to the nature of the circumstances, it is obviously an unbelievable feeling."
Alonso's race ended because of a mechanical problem on the 43rd lap. Smoke began billowing from the back of the Spaniard's Renault on the main straightaway. He had just moved into third position when his engine failed.
Alonso was penalized five places on the starting grid for blocking Massa during qualifying and he started 10th.
"When you start 10th you have to push everything to the limit: yourself, the car, the tires and the engine," Alonso said. "But the verdict on this weekend is simple -- the race was decided off the track on Saturday afternoon."

·
Registered
250 Posts
Schumacher in all his glory!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Michael Schumacher born in 1969.
Started his career with Go Karts, then to Formula 1 racing.
Seriously I reckon Schumacher was a champion ever since he started racing.
When did he win his first driver championship and what course was he at when he got his first ever first pole position and place?
When Michael Schumacher does leave, I reckon it won't be so bad, Like mentioned in another reply, he said his family children will take over his heroic role for if not ferrari, then another F1 team.
Michael Schumacher in all his glory, will probably show his true form towards the last 3 races of the season.
Good Luck SCHUMI...:drive:

·
Registered
613 Posts
I met/saw Schumacher back in 1994 (could also be 1995, it has been to long) at Spa. Although I was a Ferrari fan, I knew then Michael was going to be bigger then big. And we were honored to be live this area and looking at this legend race after race. Amagine telling this story to our childerns childeren...

·
Registered
594 Posts
I'm going to miss him more than I thought I would. Just reading about him today, He made a point of finding out who the widow was of the marshal killed at Monza and made sure she would be ok financially, Another side we didn't see to him....

·
Registered
250 Posts
Schumacher to retire...

Seriously,
Schumacher's retirement will be a good one, in a sense that once he leaves Ferrari, he will go into retirement believing that he really made a difference for Ferrari, not just for Ferrari itself in being famous and doing well, but also for being presented as one of the best drivers for Ferrari and as a whole in F1. He has broken F1 records and is considered one of the greats.
Schumacher can never be replaced, in a sense that no one driving for Ferrari will evr be as good as him. Driving for Ferrari, for 10 years has given him the abdominal experience.
Anyway, one goes and other pops in.
Kimi Raikonnen to replace Michael Schumacher for the 2007 F1 season for Ferrari. Kimi Raikonnen based on F1 news from Yesterday on Tuesday 19 September said he is looking for a F1 championship next year for the prancing horse.
GOOD LUCK! :drive:

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
It's a good development that schumacher is leaving ferrari and formula 1. Now I can like the ferrari F-1 team again !!! Remember... JUST the F-1 team

1 - 6 of 6 Posts