Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Agp22, Agp22 #2, Goofy, Ms Goofy Jr, and I meet up at the usual place and time today for our bi-weekly jaunt. Weather was perfect, not a cloud in the sky, and the roads dry and mostly clear. The line up was 550 Maranello, F40, and brand new Mustang Bullet. Unfortunately fflhugo from MaseratiLife could not make it as having a Maser along would have been a nice addition. Especially since he has a 3200 twin turbo which would have been very interesting to see how it performed next to my little 2.9 liter TT.

Off we trundled down the coastal road. I spent the first 5 mintues just trying to get some heat in the tires. This is key to do before we hit the valley cut through. With a bit of heat, the F40 handles extremely well. Without it, it just feels off and the rest of the drive will just not flow properly. With a bit of work, heat was built up and grip was great when we hit the cut through. I love this curvy piece of tarmac and we ran the whole length in 3rd gear, using the throttle to steer. Only had to touch the brakes twice lightly before the junction at the end. The 550 stayed in my rear view mirror at a safe distance for the run, always closing a bit as I entered a corner, and then disappearing for a second when the turbos spooled up.

After the valley it was off to the highway to stretch the legs before heading into my favorite mountain pass. Getting on the highway, we rolled down the long right hand bend ramp and then with nothing but tarmac in front, punched the down on the hyper drive activator. 3rd, 4th, and then time to back off and down into 5th. As I was moving right and dropping into 5th (while clearing the wastegate magnificantly), a silver 550 streaked by. As we needed to get off at the next exit and not two down as per our normal route, 5th became 4th and the hyper drive was reactivated. Shortly thereafter the 4 rear lights of the 550 were in front and with a few signals the plan was communicated. Off we got at the exit and then pulled over to regroup......only one problem.....no Mustang.

over to Agp22 for the next bit...

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Great story:)

Chris

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hang in there, I'm getting it ready.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Playing hide-and-seek

No doubt the Mustang was not visible, nor had it been since the end of the valley cut heading out towards the highway but Boxer didn't know because he was driving ahead of me, and the Mustang was further back. Figure this, I thought Goofy had a cell phone to allow that we find him, but that was not the case.

Having waited on the Bullet for while, we then decided to head off to the twisty mountain road where Boxer in the F40 had a blast running away from my 550...

Then, in the middle of the mountain road we came across the Mustang, that took a shortcut and actually avoided the whole highway shootout.

Back in close formation, we realized that didn't last long as the Mustang was again left behind, as I tried hard to keep up with the F40.

Having diverted both Ferraris into the main entrance of a resort off the side of the mountain road to allow for the Steve McQueen Bullet revival to recover, the Mustang actually overshot us as he didn't see us. We had to get on again and try to grab him once for good.

Achieved! Time for coffee and called it a day.

Some good fun as usual. This time, we got some motion shots that I hoped would be worth 1.000.000 words, and although the quality is not exactly there yet, it is available to share and maybe worth some 50 words or so...

Below you can see a photo of the F40 close up on the mountain road.

The drives on the seaside road, the valley cut, and later a connecting 4 lane road leading us to the winding mountain road in which a bit is taken are visible on the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muxKixX20hA
Enjoy :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
The F40 always looks absolutely stunning:) Great story, looks like another successful Saturday AM drive:D

Chris

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
That video is very nice. Now FL is starting to take youtube over, one Ferrari video at a time :D

Chris

·
Registered
374 Posts
Was the Bullet the oldschool forest green color? I haven't run across any of these new Bullets.
It was. Very much reminiscent of the car in the movie...

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
As always, great accounts Boxer and AGP22.

I noticed the F40 has 3 round tail pipes, I'm sure all of the others I've seen have a flatter more oval shaped centre tail pipe. Is there a difference between the cat and non cat versions?

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As always, great accounts Boxer and AGP22.

I noticed the F40 has 3 round tail pipes, I'm sure all of the others I've seen have a flatter more oval shaped centre tail pipe. Is there a difference between the cat and non cat versions?
No, mine is a Cat F40. The exhaust is not stock, it is an aftermarket custom sports exhaust. The flat middle oval tube is from the stock exhausts fittted to both the cat and non-cat F40s.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts