Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I value a salvaged Enzo totally redone at the factory? Can anyone offer opinions on the value of such a car?

Would the car be worth more/less/same in Europe as in the US?

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
How do I value a salvaged Enzo totally redone at the factory? Can anyone offer opinions on the value of such a car?

What happened to the car to make it salvaged?

Chris

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Welcome to the site!

Chris

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts

It will be worth at least 25% less than a no stories Enzo. No difference between US and Europe but you need to be careful as to which market the car was built for (easy to move a car from US to Europe but not the other way around unless it is more than 25 years old).

For more details suggest you contact Mike Sheehan at www.ferraris-online.com or Joe Sackey at www.joesackey.com/.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts

If this car was redone at the factory then it is the car that was destroyed in Malibu by "Dieter" about 3 years ago that was in the headlines. Was "owned" by a Swedish game maker who swindled investors out of $400+ million!

Ferrari bought up the parts and shipped it to Italy so the car would not have a salvage title.

I would say that since the factory did it you would effectively have a new car.

Is the factory selling it or is it by an independent seller?

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
The guy responsible for the Malibu crash was Stefan Eriksson, founder of Gizmondo. He claimed not to be the driver but was IIRC later found to be. He didn't even own the Enzo, he had exported it from Europe and 'forgot' to pay the bank through which he had arranged financing he couldn't afford.

Some people...

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-ferrari28feb28,0,3986184.story
http://www.wreckedexotics.com/special/enzo/

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
61 Posts
The Enzo discussed here was owned by a CEO in Northern California if I remember correctly. He died in the accident. It was bought and sent to Ferrari to totally rebuild. It emerged a brand new car and was sold to a Swiss collector.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
---he had exported it from Europe and 'forgot' to pay the bank through which he had arranged financing he couldn't afford.---
He didn't forget to pay the bank.

The car was a lease through a British bank and the lease agreement restricted the usage to Europe only.

He, in violation of the lease agreement, brought the car into the US.

Dieter must have helped him do it!

He's still in jail here, and then he goes to England to deal with the charges of fraud and grand theft there!

He will now have time to paly is "games" while he is in jail!

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
The Enzo discussed here was owned by a CEO in Northern California if I remember correctly. He died in the accident. It was bought and sent to Ferrari to totally rebuild. It emerged a brand new car and was sold to a Swiss collector.
I do not think this is accurate. I know who this was. He was a founding member of Nextel, and the accident was outside Laguna Seca two years ago.

That car was burned severly and so was the driver.

I can verify the issue though.

I do know for a fact that Ferrari immediately bought up "Dieter's" Enzo from LA and promptly had it flown back to Italy.

Ferrari is protecting the VIN's.

BTW, actually 449 Enzo's have been built! They just don't make it public!

·
Banned
12 Posts
Funny I didn't see it in September

It's December and I didn't notice that this thread was started in APRIL. Typical chatroom. My mistake on posting that I had a private factory tour in September and didn't see the Enzo in the restoration hall. A Saudi Prince had two cars (400i and Daytona) in and there were three F40's and a BBLM racer- but no Enzo.

So, if this was a factory rebuild of the Stefan Erickson Malibu crash it would appear that Ferrari did the work in some VERY private place (I would guess because the rumor going around in 2006, after the crash, was that Ferrari said they could rebuild the car for a couple hundred thousand!) Think about what that suggests: That Enzos are only worth a couple hundred thousand in actual parts and labor of construction...and the surplus, at retail, (like the surplus on every car Ferrari makes) goes to offsetting the half billion/year the factory spends on F1.

The way a car is restored at Maranello is this:
A factory committee is petitioned to accept the car in question. If they agree to even look at it, the car is delivered and a final determination is then made as to what needs to be done to get the car back to "original" shape (apparently, anyone wanting a factory restoration/rebuild is also willing to write a blank check). I estimate that restoring my 1997 550 to original specs would cost less than $50,000...but not much less, knowing that it would likely be stripped to the frame and rebuilt and the interior taken care of (I have 55,000 miles on it, so for Americans the car is "worthless" and was also the prototype test mule for the first tuned 550 exhaust system in the world. So, instead of putting another 50 grand into a worthless Ferrari, I just drive it 10,000 miles a year...faster than almost any other 550 on Earth with the tuned exhaust pulling torque past 6,000 rpm... and don't give a hoot if it's "restored"! I like the cracked windshield and the keyed paint job just fine! Whenever a cop tells me to fix the windshield I have a receipt in the glovebox, showing that a (defective) factory OEM windshield is already paid for (1/3 cost of new glass from Ferrari) and it's sitting in Sacramento, waiting for my order to ship it to Denver)

The BBLM racer that I saw in late September was being rebuilt for an October classic race event Nurburgring in October. To get it race-ready, the car had modern braided steel hoses were in the engine compartment. I was told that, post-race, the car would come back to Maranello and the original-spec hoses would replace the non-spec modern hoses.

You can see video of my trip to the factory (in a Scuderia, a 599 and a 612) at my 550's web site (pick "Driver") and view "Rendezvous Cote d'Azur". It begins with the helicopter transfer into Monaco from the Nice airport.
http://www.wyo550.com

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Wow...thats terrible. I never read that story before.

Chris

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
The Enzo crash in LA was nearly 3 years ago.

If you went in September the car would have been finished long before then.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The car was advertised several places this past summer, so was probably sold by September. I spoke with the owner at that time who said it cost a lot more than a couple hundred thousand to rebuild. The car was virtually new with a 1 year factory warranty!

A friend told me that the dead man's family had no idea, they had sold it in a burnt hunk to a salvage yard. I'm shocked Ferrari did this.

The owner was looking for $1.15MM.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I no longer have the info but did have the VIN and did the research this summer as I considered buying it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts