Ferrari Life Forum banner

Only RWD or AWD also ok

RWD only or AWD also ok

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  ferrariforum 
#1 ·
If it should be considered a "true" sports car can it be an AWD?

I like some sports cars other than Ferraris. I for example like the Gallardo and Murciélago. But I don't really consider them "true" sports cars due to their AWD. I mean even the Gallardo Superleggera's got it. :-( The most desirable Lambo to me is the GT and to a large extent due to the fact that it's RWD.

http://www.autosalon-singen.de/Kata...cfm?fahrzeugID=07804_0009_02_02&languageID=de

A true devil in all positive aspects of the word. :)

I think something in the meaning of a sports cars is lost when made an AWD. The AWD Lambos, 911 AWDs, Veyron are all less then what they could have been if you ask me. How about you?

#2 ·
I think that AWD can also be considered a true sports car, because Lamborghinis like Ferraris are definitely sports cars. Porsche 911 4S is AWD and I believe thats a sports car is. I don't believe that RWD makes a car a sports car. That is just my 2 cents:D

Chris

#3 ·
If AWD or FWD was really good, then single seaters (Formula cars) and prototypes would have that kind of dynamics.

So really, the perfect thing for high speed driving must be what is visible on the tracks with central engines and RWD. :)

AWD simply allow more unskilled people to drive powerful cars, and consequently increase sales.

But for me, a true sports car is RWD, and you want to make sure the front is adequately aimed when you put your foot down when exiting a corner.

#4 ·
If AWD or FWD was really good, then single seaters (Formula cars) and prototypes would have that kind of dynamics.

So really, the perfect thing for high speed driving must be what is visible on the tracks with central engines and RWD. :)

AWD simply allow more unskilled people to drive powerful cars, and consequently increase sales.

But for me, a true sports car is RWD, and you want to make sure the front is adequately aimed when you put your foot down when exiting a corner.
+1:D

#5 ·
A Dutch mate of mine has a Gallardo Spyder and he travels more sideways than forwards. The thing just loves to burn rubber and flick its tail. It's got plenty of power (more than my 550 and weighs less), outrageous looks and awesome sound. So, yes, to me it ticks all the sportscar boxes.

But I do think it's an exception - in general RWD is the way to go. And I certainly wouldn't applaud Ferrari for building a AWD car!

Onno

#6 ·
A Dutch mate of mine has a Gallardo Spyder and he travels more sideways than forwards. The thing just loves to burn rubber and flick its tail. It's got plenty of power (more than my 550 and weighs less), outrageous looks and awesome sound. So, yes, to me it ticks all the sportscar boxes.

But I do think it's an exception - in general RWD is the way to go. And I certainly wouldn't applaud Ferrari for building a AWD car!

Onno
I agree, I would not want to see Ferrari make an AWD.

Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.