Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I consigned a 1950's 1/2 scale "Baby Ferrari" with a Seattle dealer...We signed a contract saying that he would sell it for "not less than $50,000"...after he "researched" it. He said he would make it perfect, to get the best price (I would have been responsible for cost of repairs, with my approval of each expense). When he wouldn't take my calls, I finally brought a potential buyer/friend to the dealership, found the car wasn't there...did some "detective" work...and found that he had sold the car, 3 weeks earlier, for $32,000 (at Bonham's Quail Run Auction, 8/2002.. Anyone have that catalogue??? Lot #181) ...and he hadn't done any repair work! He sent me a check for $24,000 (the court has it in escrow).

Now, I'm fighting with his bonding company...They say it isn't a "vehicle"...although he described it that way on the contract. Arrrggghhh!
This car has a "birdcage" frame, hand pounded aluminum body, powered by a German motorcycle engine by Sachs. It's completely hand built, with shocks, springs, third member, independent suspension, 3 speed forward w/ reverse, brake drums and shoes.

At the time he was served with my complaint, there were 2 other suits being served also....for similar acts.

I'm trying to find out as much info as possible on the car..to help my case and establish the real value! I wonder if it is a 1951 212 Export Touring ...10 were made... I can't find photos of that model, and the other models don't look the same??? Thank you for any information you might have.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
You might try posting a picture of the 1/2 scale car for interested parties to look at, or go to: http://www.barchetta.cc/all.ferraris/all.ferraris.html to identify the model and body style.

The common "Touring" Export 212 spyder looks just like the commom "Touring" 166 Mille Miglia with the only differences in the body being the hood (bonnet){no scoop on the 212}, the shape of the door and the windscreen. The wheelbase and other dimensions are,I believe, the same. As this style is widely known, it may not be the common "Touring" Export 212.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts