Ferrari Life Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's your feelings on buying a restored Ferrari vs an original?
What are the pros & cons?
I have seen some really nice Ferrari's that have been restored. Is the value of a restored close to an original? Just wondering if a restored is a good option or should i only buy an original.

·
Registered
332 Posts
It rather depends on what model you're talking about and what you intend to do with it. Personally, whilst I accept that for a car to be usable it needs to be in reasonable condition, I hate to see all classic Ferraris looking like they've just left the showroom with all history and patina surgically removed. And one of the worst culprits is Ferrari themselves with their Classiche programme which seems to function on the basis that history stopped the day the car left the factory and any subsequent change is non-original unless Ferrari do it themselves. God forbid your car should have a wrongly numbered engine. Ferrari will, of course, make you a brand new 'original' one and stamp it with the right numbers for you.

Having said all that, if what you want is a restored classic then buy one already restored and with someone else having already paid the bills for the restoration.

Jonathan

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by original vs restored. Restored better than new, well, that isn't so bad is it? I mean it's good to go for another ... bunch of years, and it should be kept viable.

IF you believe I am NOT going to dress up those rock chips or have the car repainted at some time, then sorry, mine will be done ....

however,

IF one had a history car, that froze that time, then, leave it....it's a snapshot of a particular moment.....

much like the one below..one of my favorite shots. from Cavallino with out permission.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Let me give you an example. This 328 is for sale on ebay. High bid 23K.
Is this the kind of sale to stay away from or what? Having such low bidding on the car makes me believe it has no value. Then you have another problem of determining if the work was done properly. I don't think i would feel good about buying something like that even if the price is low. What you guys think? Take a look at the car on ebay motors.

1987 Ferrari 328 GTS
Here is a great way to enter the Ferrari family with this exciting 328 GTS. This is a wonderful car that has come out of a local collecters stable. The car has been reconditioned and is 98% completed. The exterior has recently been re-painted and restored and is in excellent condition. The seats were just re-done and the leather is new. The carpet is original and shows a little fading and a few small holes. The dash is in great shape and just slightly pulling. The gauges and interior trim sparkle. The rear view mirror is missing and would need to be purchased. The car runs strong and has been put through our demanding 60 point inspction. The motor is clean and could use a little paint and final detail work to bring it back to its original look. It has never been in an accident and is a non-smoker. We have the Ferrari leather book that holds all the manuals.

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
Is this the kind of sale to stay away from or what? Having such low bidding on the car makes me believe it has no value. Then you have another problem of determining if the work was done properly. I don't think i would feel good about buying something like that even if the price is low. What you guys think? Take a look at the car on ebay motors.

1987 Ferrari 328 GTS
Here is a great way to enter the Ferrari family with this exciting 328 GTS. This is a wonderful car that has come out of a local collecters stable. The car has been reconditioned and is 98% completed. The exterior has recently been re-painted and restored and is in excellent condition. The seats were just re-done and the leather is new. The carpet is original and shows a little fading and a few small holes. The dash is in great shape and just slightly pulling. The gauges and interior trim sparkle. The rear view mirror is missing and would need to be purchased. The car runs strong and has been put through our demanding 60 point inspction. The motor is clean and could use a little paint and final detail work to bring it back to its original look. It has never been in an accident and is a non-smoker. We have the Ferrari leather book that holds all the manuals.

your comments are valid, BUT may fall into no meaning, in lieu of a good Ferrari owner, such as myself :D

for instance I would make sure it were quality work, and detail ALL history. I have zero problem with that. even if Ferrari does. For instance I can, first hand experience, let you know I have seen NEW, sold as NEW Ferraris FROM THE FACTORY that were damaged and a lot!!! to include all new front ends sides rears etc.

But, the dealership can list them as new, no problems, issues, damage. I know, as FofSF does this.

I can also attest there ARE persons who feel it would be ok to hide such facts. I am not one of those. When/IF [thinking of the Mondial T at this time] will divulge ALL facts regardless: I feel it's part of the history, which is worth keeping and relating..Regardless. I will include receipts for everything from a light bulb to whatever I can keep.

but, that's just me....

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
You may serve your buying interest better to narrow your search to a particular model, learn all it's unique characteristics, and you can make more informed decisions.

$23K is inded quite suspect for a 328 and that might indicate it needs a ton of work.

Be careful.

Restored doesn't really matter as long as it has been well done.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I tend to think that the 'restored v. original' debate applies more to the classic cars than the more modern, semi-mass-produced examples.

I love my 328, but I don't for a minute think of it as an investment. I intend to keep it looking and running great, but am not concerned with keeping everything perfectly original.

The example in your post - 87 328 for $23K - does seem a bit low, and I would be very careful to check it out thoroughly. However, if you can get away with $10 - $15K to correct neglected maintenance, you can have a very enjoyable car for under $40K.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
---The example in your post - 87 328 for $23K - does seem a bit low, and I would be very careful to check it out thoroughly. However, if you can get away with $10 - $15K to correct neglected maintenance, you can have a very enjoyable car for under $40K.
Very good points but I was emphasizing for a new buyer who may not be mechanical to be very careful.

So you finally made it to Florida? How does it compare to the Monterey area?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Very good points but I was emphasizing for a new buyer who may not be mechanical to be very careful.

So you finally made it to Florida? How does it compare to the Monterey area?
I agree. A very close, careful look is definitely called for on that one.

Florida is treating me well. The local roads do not compare, though! Not much here in the way of hills and turns.....

·
Registered
453 Posts
I think some times a certain amount of restoration is needed to keep the cars in great shape. Take this Daytona, it belongs to the estate i work for (and its parked/hibernating next to my Spider for the winter) The paint work was very blotchy and faded due to it standing under cover for years. It was in need of a new paint job for years and has now had one. It would have been a crying shame to have left it untouched. It also has just had new leather inside due to them being dryed out.

Attachments

·
Registered
260 Posts

1987 Ferrari 328 GTS
After so many years, every car needs a mechanical restoration and a costmetic as well as interior restoration. When ever I purchase a used Ferrari, I plan on going over the whole car and have a full service already budgeted in the equation.

·
Registered
575 Posts
...It was in need of a new paint job for years and has now had one. It would have been a crying shame to have left it untouched...
There was a fellow in Seattle who owned a black 308 GTB a few years ago (I'm not sure if he still has it) and it had the original lacquer paint and it was entirely spider-cracked! There wasn't one square-inch intact. It was a clean car though, not rusty at all, it's just that the paint over time shrunk and caused it to crack. It kind-of gave it a unique effect ;)

Plus, back in 1999, I was at Concorso Italiano and Gianni Angelli's 375 America Coupe (or was it a 410 Superamerica?) was on display... The paint was falling off as it was parked there! It hadn't been restored in decades.

Although both of these examples were interesting to see, I do agree though that a Ferrari is a very special and beautiful vehicle and it deserves to look it's best.

·
Administrator
15,181 Posts
I think some times a certain amount of restoration is needed to keep the cars in great shape. Take this Daytona, it belongs to the estate i work for (and its parked/hibernating next to my Spider for the winter) The paint work was very blotchy and faded due to it standing under cover for years. It was in need of a new paint job for years and has now had one. It would have been a crying shame to have left it untouched. It also has just had new leather inside due to them being dryed out.
I tend to agree, a certain amount of on-going maintenance/restoration is needed to keep a car in good condition. In my book, redoing the seats, repainting the body, rebuilding the engine, etc. are all just things that need to be done as a car ages to keep it in good presentable and useable condition. What I do not subscribe too are the over the top mega $$$ restorations that result in a car looking like it just left the factory (or better) in many cases. IMHO, there is something very un-natural about a 40 year old car that looks like it has never been run or even sat in.

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
I tend to agree, a certain amount of on-going maintenance/restoration is needed to keep a car in good condition. In my book, redoing the seats, repainting the body, rebuilding the engine, etc. are all just things that need to be done as a car ages to keep it in good presentable and useable condition. What I do not subscribe too are the over the top mega $$$ restorations that result in a car looking like it just left the factory (or better) in many cases. IMHO, there is something very un-natural about a 40 year old car that looks like it has never been run or even sat in.

totally agree, yet nothing wrong with doing a fresh job on it too.....then drive the thing all over again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.