Ferrari Life Forum banner

Repair questions.

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  sebastian 
#1 ·
The mechanic mentioned several needed repairs on my 95 355 that greatly concerned me.
I bought the car last year and had the major service done on it then and these issues never came up. the car has only had 2k miles on it since that time.
Few questions that I hope someone can answer and help me out.

They mention "the axle boots are cracked/swollen". How can I confirm this other than I know there is no sign of leakage?

Also that my "tranny oil seals are leaking"? Where would this leak show up as I don't see any drips on the carpeting under the car? or can I tell by looking at the level somehow?

Also the "cam covers are leaking at both sides in the rear". Do I need to get under the car to tell since looking from the top shows nothing?

any help would be much appreciated as this is a new mechanic to me and says the service for this will run about $15k-$20k

thanks

sebastian

See less See more
#2 ·
What!?! Are you sure he meant $15k to $20k and not $1,500 to $2,000? I would look for a decent independant garage and get a second opinion.

I would be concerned about the axle boots because if they go then dirt and water will get into the joint and damage it. It is bellows shaped and the cracks appear down deep, you really have to get in there with your hands and pull the folds apart to look at it.

If the tranny or cam covers are leaking but you aren't seeing anything on the carpet than your new mechanic may just be being proactive. The leaks won't get better, but they may not get worse for a while. He should have simply told you this is an area of concern and he should put the car up on a lift for you and point out directly to you the problem.

You should not have to crawl around under the car to figure out what your mechanic is talking about. A good mech will take you out and show you the problem, explain why it is a problem and explain what the consequences of not getting it repaired would be. Let you make an informed decision as to what you want done.

I would not trust a guy that just hands me a list of what is wrong with my car and an outrageous estimate for repair.

#3 ·
seb, I don't know the 355 well but a few thoughts anyway.

First re the axle boots - you will have to get under the car (as for all the items) and look at them up-close (maybe drive it on some ramps or driveway kerb or similar). When new the boots will have a soft, pliable lustre and when squeezed won't show any crazing, splitting or perishing. They don't have to be actually "split open" to make replacement necessary - if they show surface cracking when squeezed they should be changed.

Next the tranny. It's unlikely that leaking oil seals will drop the level significantly without also staining the driveway, but again you will need to check around the unit from below, esp where drive shafts exit. Any oil drips hanging from the casing, etc indicate a seal leak of some sort. Try cleaning them up with a rag and rechecking after another day or so. If they come back each day (assuming the car is driven between) they should be attended to, while if the unit stays clean for weeks at a time then I wouldn't bother fixing it yet - all seals leak a little every now & then, depending on car use and climate.

#4 ·
Re:

All these "problems" were found in a routine ($308) oil change at a certified dealer. I will definately closer inspect all these concerns they had and get a second opinion. And yes, the repair estimate was 15-20 thousand. $1500 would probably just cover a flush of the fluids which was recommended yearly by them (brake, clutch, gearbox, cooling)

I put a large white sheet under the vehicle guaranteed to catch any leaks so I can verify location and amount. But as several other owners have told me "what ferrari doesn't leak a little oil?". If I could afford an Enzo, maybe I could answer that.

Thank you for the advice so far and I welcome any future recommendations.

Seb.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.