Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got to thinking about color combinations of vintage f-cars and thought to myself what color I would prefer to have my Ferrari. I take a special interest in the 250 swb and they all have very specific paint jobs (per sn).

Heres my question: is it wrong to re-paint a 250 swb (for example) something other than its original color?

Now Im not talking from red to dark red, but from red to dark blue with stripes (as an example).

Just curious what your opinions might be.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
FunkyJunc said:
I got to thinking about color combinations of vintage f-cars and thought to myself what color I would prefer to have my Ferrari. I take a special interest in the 250 swb and they all have very specific paint jobs (per sn).

Heres my question: is it wrong to re-paint a 250 swb (for example) something other than its original color?

Now Im not talking from red to dark red, but from red to dark blue with stripes (as an example).

Just curious what your opinions might be.
It'll lose it's value. The 250 SWB is a collector's car and a very expensive one at that (if you can get one) and no one in their right mind would want to lose it's value by changing any of its original specs.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I don't think it influences the value that much. One of the most desired Ferraris so it will sell anyway. The chances that the current color is the original is not that big anyway since they changed colors multiple times in their live (like country colors!).

Niels

·
Registered
411 Posts
Question is if it is a good case the repaint the car. Especially those collector items...

I don't think so, but that's just my opinion :wink:

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let me re-phrase ...

If the value of the car would not change at all, and no-one else cared enough to notice, would you change it?

I dont know if I could, though I might want to. I really enjoy darker colors on the SWB's (Dark reds like 1997GT, dark blues like 1741GT) but I think having one is luck enough, let alone changing the color of one.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
490 Posts
My advice to clients is always have a car the colour you want - bear in mind that Ferrari always painted 250 series engine bays, boot reveals and doors shuts, under arch areas etc in satin black (with easily removable cover plates) for the ease of colour change. The most important aspect is the quality of the job. Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Al

·
Registered
2 Posts
If the paint is original or early, its history is worth saving. Otherwise, have fun - paint it pink if you want, you aren't hurting the value as long as you are only stripping modern paint.

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
33 Posts
...... >>>> www.Alsaautomotive.co.uk

alsaautomotive said:
My advice to clients is always have a car the color you want - bear in mind that Ferrari always painted 250 series engine bays, boot reveals and doors shuts, under arch areas etc in satin black (with easily removable cover plates) for the ease of color change. The most important aspect is the quality of the job. Hope this helps. Cheers,
Al
~
Al or allen (A.K.A. Alun) Beautiful work-!! on the cars in your web Page! www.Alsaautomotive.co.uk
~

~
As for me....... "The Value of something is the amount in your hand when they're driving it away",
so I guess it's a matter of perception of value on their part for wanting it. That aside;

If it were me and my choice of colors, and value was optional and the interior and peer preasure was not in the equation then Yes I would change the color. It would be a CANDY CLEAR (whatever) over CHROME. I mean the whole outside of the automobile Chrome Plated then a flawless translucent solid color over that. The color would be different for each auto to fit my taste and desire at that point of time. Right now and today (but different maybe tomorrow) it would be:

In the case of a Ferrari 250 GTO, it would be GOLD plated Period, with real gold. And why not? If you can pay $millions for a title what's a few more?
If it were a Older Testarrossa (and/or new) it would be electric blue over chrome, All others vintage autos would be a case by case assessed individually on another day.

~
The more modern 550's; darker blue. 355, 348, 360 and Mondial I always liked Smoke over chrome.
Enzo, F40, F50 and all Spiders, and Barchettas would be the traditional Red but over chrome. You might say I like chrome.

~

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am told you can get a certificate from FML which denotes all original specs, ie paint et al. You are right about value, about 250 SWB prices and about collectors .
Find out original color and if possible from where supplied, ie Modena factory or a shop. Then get some and go back to it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My advice to clients is always have a car the colour you want - bear in mind that Ferrari always painted 250 series engine bays, boot reveals and doors shuts, under arch areas etc in satin black (with easily removable cover plates) for the ease of colour change. The most important aspect is the quality of the job. Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Al
Wow! I never heard or knew about the black satin insert. Yet, I have seen cars with them and mine came with them. Please elaborate...this really important to me.
Thanks,
Sharkey

·
Registered
490 Posts
Hi Sharkey, basically all they did was to paint the door shuts etc in satin black and use detachable closing panels in body colour to cover the hinge assemblies and so on.
The reason for this that I've been led to believe is that the cars would be oft colour changed and this makes doing that a huge amount easier!
It could also be linked to the early cars being coachbuilt & also painted by the coachbuilders prior to going back to Ferrari for mechanical fitment - the factory would most likely damage areas like engine bay whilst fitting, and touching up satin black is a damn site easier than say metallic silver!
I remember doing an original Lusso that had taken a battering to the engine bay and had been blatently touched up afterwards!
What model do you have?
Best wishes, Al.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Whatever color you paint a Ferrari, will not detract anything from its value as long as its originality is retained. To retain the originality a color that was available during the period of manufacture needs to be used. Unfortunately the more modern the paint, the better specifications it has in general. Also a lot more colors are available with modern paints. Then again if the model is very expensive, a buyer will repiant it to his or her liking.
Go with whatever color suits you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts