Ferrari Life Forum banner

I 'may have scuffed 1 wheel, so do I pay to refurbish all 4 wheels?

• Yes you should it's a Ferrari and nothing less will do.

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • No that's rediculous pay for 1.

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • No don't pay for any you can't be sure you did it and they sound like con artists!

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

This may be a strange question but I'd appreciate the opinion of ferrari enthusiasts. I hope this is the right forum to post in?

I recently hired a 355 and allegedly scuffed one of the rear wheels.
I'm an enthusisast and know the perils of driving such cars especially with kerbs and so have not knowingly even touched a kerb or pothole or similar! I can't prove other wise though so I'm left thinking I guess I must pay?
It is a light scuff about 2cm long on tyre edge of the back wheel but it won't polish out.

All the wheels are in pretty much perfect condition. imho that is, i should point out I'm not a concourse judge! ;-) They are saying I MUST pay for all 4 wheels to be done or they'll not match up! :eek:

Can anyone tell me if this is reasonable behaviour? Or just give an opinion?

Also if all 4 had to be done what sort of cost would this be?
Many thanks.

Mike

·
Registered
490 Posts
Absolutely no question on this one - any competent mobile 'chips away' type company can carry out a localised repair on a single wheel.
The only proviso being that said wheel hasn't had much in the way of paint before.
Even if it has, then there is ABSOLUTELY no reason to have all 4 done. The only time a mismatch can be noticed (& this is assuming they can't match the colour perfectly) is if the wheels are placed side by side without tyres on.
A 'close enough' match will NEVER, EVER be noticed, no matter how good an eye one has.
I am not sure of the conversion rate to where you are, but £50 (Sterling) should cover the cost.
I hope this helps?
Best wishes, Al.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Absolutely no question on this one - any competent mobile 'chips away' type company can carry out a localised repair on a single wheel.
The only proviso being that said wheel hasn't had much in the way of paint before.
Even if it has, then there is ABSOLUTELY no reason to have all 4 done. The only time a mismatch can be noticed (& this is assuming they can't match the colour perfectly) is if the wheels are placed side by side without tyres on.
A 'close enough' match will NEVER, EVER be noticed, no matter how good an eye one has.
I am not sure of the conversion rate to where you are, but £50 (Sterling) should cover the cost.
I hope this helps?
Best wishes, Al.
Dear Comrade Alsaautomotive,

The two rear wheels on the F-40 have minor damage at the edge of the rim causing slight corrosion to form beneath the lacquer. I should be most grateful for any idea's you may have in effecting a remedy.

With kind regards,

Vulcan

·
Registered
490 Posts
Dear Mr Vulcan F-40 Sir, are the rims turned/polished & clear lacquered or silver painted & lacquered?
If they are turned/polished then they will probably require any heavy pitting to be built up with mag/alloy & then a very light re-turn, polish & re-lacquer.
If they are painted silver this is a much simpler process as any deeper pitting can be primed & stoppered smooth prior to colour.
As long as there is no substantial build of paint on the wheels (if they are silver painted rather than polished/lacquered) then it is a very straightforward & inexpensive 'localised' repair.
I hope this helps Sir.
Cap doffingly yours, Alsaautomotive.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Dear Mr Vulcan F-40 Sir, are the rims turned/polished & clear lacquered or silver painted & lacquered?
If they are turned/polished then they will probably require any heavy pitting to be built up with mag/alloy & then a very light re-turn, polish & re-lacquer.
If they are painted silver this is a much simpler process as any deeper pitting can be primed & stoppered smooth prior to colour.
As long as there is no substantial build of paint on the wheels (if they are silver painted rather than polished/lacquered) then it is a very straightforward & inexpensive 'localised' repair.
I hope this helps Sir.
Cap doffingly yours, Alsaautomotive.

Thank you for your most kind, prompt and generous response. I confirm that the wheels are polished with the application of a clear lacquer to the surface.
However, the wheels have been acid etched with 'Speedline' and 'Ferrari' markings plus rim size and width. And naturally I would not wish to see these marks disappear should the rims be refettled. Therefore, is it possible to effect a repair without losing these details, please?

Thank you.

With kind regards,

Vulcan

·
Registered
490 Posts
Dear Mr Vulcan F-40 Sir, it would depend on how close to the etching any pitting is & how severe said pitting is.
If the pitting is polish-able (is that a particularly poor use of language??) then a very localised repair can be affected easily & the area re-lacquered without the need to strip & lacquer the entire wheel.
If the pitting looks to be rather deeper, then I shall ask my metalwork chap tomorrow for his advice & get back to you Sir.
Where are the etched letterings - if they are not on the face (i.e the outer rim) which has the damage/pitting, then this would not present a problem as the only face requiring re-turning would be the area repaired & not the remaining turned faces of the wheel.
I hope this hasn't turned into one of my incoherent rambles!
Cap doffingly yours Sir, Al.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Dear Mr Vulcan F-40 Sir, it would depend on how close to the etching any pitting is & how severe said pitting is.
If the pitting is polish-able (is that a particularly poor use of language??) then a very localised repair can be affected easily & the area re-lacquered without the need to strip & lacquer the entire wheel.
If the pitting looks to be rather deeper, then I shall ask my metalwork chap tomorrow for his advice & get back to you Sir.
Where are the etched letterings - if they are not on the face (i.e the outer rim) which has the damage/pitting, then this would not present a problem as the only face requiring re-turning would be the area repaired & not the remaining turned faces of the wheel.
I hope this hasn't turned into one of my incoherent rambles!
Dear Omniscient Comrade Alsaautomotive,

I can confirm that the etching is on the wide part of the wheel and not the area that is damaged which is in fact close the to the edge of the wheel/tyre junction. And thank you for taking such trouble on my behalf which is very much appreciated indeed.

I examined your web site earlier this evening and the work portrayed is very impressive indeed. When you proffer quotations, do you first of all visit the vehicle in its homeland? For example, I live in England and as you appear to operate throughout the United Kingdom would this mean that you would travel from Wales to England to examine the motor car?

With kind regards,

Vulcan

·
Registered
490 Posts
Dear Mr Vulcan F-40 Sir, many thanks for your kind comments. I anticipate an update on the website in the next week or so by Mr Angelis, which will show some of the more interesting motor vehicles I have been lucky enough to work on over the past six months or so.

I do occassionally venture out of the Principality to assess work, but can just as easily do this with some detailed pictures & description sent by email.
If the work is for example a fairly straightforward repaint, with minimal fabrication/restoration work, then the pricing is very easy - for example a bare metal repaint could take anywhere between 75 & 150 hours, depending on size & complexity of vehicle.
However, with more restoration based work, then really a visit would be essential.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Dear Mr Vulcan F-40 Sir, many thanks for your kind comments. I anticipate an update on the website in the next week or so by Mr Angelis, which will show some of the more interesting motor vehicles I have been lucky enough to work on over the past six months or so.

I do occassionally venture out of the Principality to assess work, but can just as easily do this with some detailed pictures & description sent by email.
If the work is for example a fairly straightforward repaint, with minimal fabrication/restoration work, then the pricing is very easy - for example a bare metal repaint could take anywhere between 75 & 150 hours, depending on size & complexity of vehicle.
However, with more restoration based work, then really a visit would be essential.

Dear Omniscient Comrade Alsaautomotive,

Is a 512TR a complex car to repaint, please? My car is fourteen years old and in excellent condition but has stone chips on the front and one or two very slight marks here and there - nothing at all major, but, and purely out of interest, is such a car at the lower end of the time equation or somewhere in between?

Many thanks.

With kind regards,

Vulcan

·
Registered
490 Posts
Dear Mr Vulcan F-40 Sir, I have just had to check on what omniscient means:D & sadly I am far from deserving of the tag:eek: .
If the 512 requires a bare metal repaint then hours would be around 110 to 120, if she still wears her original paint however then there really would be no reason to strip to bare & hours would be around 70 to 80.
(Stripping of the paint usually takes around 15 hours, but there is always remedial preparation & re-shaping work which one inevitably finds beneath a previously repainted car).
Both would include professional glass removal & refitting.
I do hope this is of some help & many thanks for the interest.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Dear Mr Vulcan F-40 Sir, I have just had to check on what omniscient means:D & sadly I am far from deserving of the tag:eek: .
If the 512 requires a bare metal repaint then hours would be around 110 to 120, if she still wears her original paint however then there really would be no reason to strip to bare & hours would be around 70 to 80.
(Stripping of the paint usually takes around 15 hours, but there is always remedial preparation & re-shaping work which one inevitably finds beneath a previously repainted car).
Both would include professional glass removal & refitting.
I do hope this is of some help & many thanks for the interest.

Thank you for a very interesting and comprehensive response and something for me to consider for the future. I shall send you an e-mail this evening.

With kind regards,

Vulcan

·
Registered
39 Posts
alsaautomotive-

I just wanted to say your work is truly phenomenal! I showed your work to a friend of mine that does restorations on classic Jaguars here in Omaha, Nebraska and he was very impressed. Your work looks like it belongs in the Pebble Beach Concour's. Under the Ferrari gallery, that Red 308 is just beautiful. The paint depth is fantastic. Same with the black one as well towards the end. I am a body and paint guy as well, but i am no where near your level. You truly have a great eye and technique to deliver such wonderful and beautiful vehicles!

Mike G.

Omaha, NE

·
Registered
490 Posts
Crikey, thank you very much for the kind comments Mike.
But really it's just about practice & patience.
I have been extremely lucky over the years to have had the opportunity to work on some lovely cars & more importantly the time to devote to getting the job done the way I like to.
What more motivation could one want;)
Keep an eye on the website over the next few weeks, there is an update due:thumbup:
Very best wishes, Al.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts