Ferrari Life Forum banner

Would you buy a Ferrari that isn't red?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
I depends on which model, what colour i like the most.
Like a 456 is the best looking in dark metallic blue, or some other colours, but NOT red.
I saw a red one 2 weeks ago at a Ferrari meeting (well saw about a dozen 456 :green: ).
and that colour doesn't do any justice to the car

·
Registered
10 Posts
color other than red

Funny enough, one criterion which I is used for my recent 95 F355 Sypder purchase, was "anything but red". I chose "Rosso Barchetta".

Gregg

·
Registered
286 Posts
I agree that certain styles, models of Ferraris, look better in certain colors other than red. However the re-sale red is usually the safest color if you are selling the car. JMO

·
Registered
286 Posts
Although I am partial to red I can't vote on that question because it would depend on the model, style, of the Ferrari.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I always thought red, red, red until I saw the blue of my car, now. I really think it's gorgeous. Take a look if you'd like in the gallery. It's my GTB. White is the only color I'm just not fanatical about; please no offense at all to the white car owners, just my taste.

Forza,

Dane

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 75 308gt4 was RED! I had it repainted red ( 300/6) 84 gto red ---7 years ago ; the color looks great, I wish the STEEL behind the paint ; mainly on the bottom of the car, was GALVANIZED !!!!! But I guess that's the price You PAY to have an older car !!!!! Other colors look great!! It would be nice, just to see more of any (FERRARI COLOR) ON THE ROAD !!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
My 308 is Nero Metallica (metallic black) it is 1 of 21 308s Ferrari produced in that color in 1984. I LOVE IT! I had a Nero (jet black) Mondial 8 before the 308. I am a huge fan of non red Ferraris. But I cannot deny that a red Ferrari ALWAYS gets my heart going!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just about any color BUT Rosso Corsa!! Most Ferraris look good in either dark colors (black, blue, DARK red) or lighter metallics but I can't think of any road-going Ferrari that looks best in Rosso Corsa. None.

Both Battista and son Sergio Pininfarina belived their designs looked best in silvers and blues and, in fact, up until the late 70's, most Ferraris left the factory in something other than "resale red." Unfortunately, many of those cars have since been repainted. It's really a shame that so much of the Ferrari buying public lacks imagination and taste. They want it bright red with Scuderia shields on the fenders to make sure the world knows they can afford a Ferrari. Please!

·
Registered
454 Posts
I'm not sure it's the idea of "I can afford a Ferrari, look at me." My thoughts are this and purely speculation as I am certainly not an expert on the psychology of every Rossa Ferrari owner. Even though I have a blue 308, I was lured to red as this was my first Ferrari and I thought, if it's going to be your first (and possibly last), make it red. After all, that IS the color most people associate with Ferrari. Having said that, I was stunned by how gorgeous the blue really was. I couldn't resist.

Red does attract attention but shouldn't it, it's a great color associated with speed and Ferrari.

Remember, when people display the Scudetto's it's probably because they're living a dream and have always wanted to do that if they ever had the chance of owning one.

Let's not forget, Enzo displayed them on his racing cars (even before they were Ferrari's) to say "look at me, my name is Ferrari and this car is part of my racing team."

Also, there is a reason why the F1 cars are bright red and wear the emblems. It, too, is to say, "we are Ferrari and there is no mistaking it."

I see no reason why any owner shouldn't carry the tradition.

Forza,

Dane

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Just to chime in here for a second on this topic. You almost never see the 456 in Red and yet it is in my opinion one of the best looking Ferraris. I would even go so far as to say I would perfer this car in a non-red than red. As for the rest, Red would generally be my first choice (except maybe on the 550) but I would of course never turn down or snicker at a non-red Ferrari.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Dane, first of all, let me say that I commend you on your choice of a blue 308. I think that is far and away the best color for that model.

As far as tradition, both the color Rosso Corsa (racing red) and the Scuderia shields are traditionally displayed on the factory team cars. They are not traditionally associated with road going Ferraris and have only become so associated somewhat recently (late 70's for the color, even later for the shields). Until the 1980's, new models presented at the world's various auto shows were never displayed in red, as that color was not well suited to Pininfarina's road car designs.

I can, however, understand the desire to associate one's car with glorious racing cars of the past, as opposed to the more elegant road cars. I can also understand that someone who has little exposure to Ferraris on a regular basis might want the one Ferrari that he/she sees regularly to be red.

It's also possible that I have spent entirely too much time in the company of these fabulous cars and have seen WAY too many of them wearing Rosso Corsa paint. In every show and F-car event I attend, I find myself walking past rows of bright red (and yellow) cars only to stop and admire the occasional one in stunning blue or deep, rich Barchetta.

That said, the reality is also that so many of the modern Ferrari owners that I know (maybe it's because I live in L.A.?) chose red (and the shields) because they felt that, if they were going to spend $200K on an exotic car, they didn't want to go unnoticed. I also know that for all of those that admit to that fact, there are plenty of others who don't. That's okay. It just makes the other cars, like yours, that much more special!

·
Registered
824 Posts
I totally agree upon the colors. Seen too many Rosso Corsa Ferraris, but still they attrack me as well. Especially the spiders of the 360, 355 and 348, I would prefer in colors like Grigio Alloy, or Grigio Titanio. As for the Maranellos and 456 GT cars, I will definetaly will not go for a red or yellow one. Than a more sophisticated color like dark blue or dark green looks good to me. The classic cars like the 330 and 250 look great in smoke silve, etc. etc. It all depends on what car we are talking about.

Okay, an F40 or F50 needs to be red or yellow. However, I have seen pictures of other colors on these cars and some of them look great too!

Only car I will definately will buy in red s a 288 GTO. What do you say.. no other color available. Damn, was probably the next color Henry Ford discovered, then...

Niels

·
Registered
454 Posts
Lwausbrooks,

Yes, I can see where you're coming from, alot of Rossa Rampante's in one locale. I, having grown up in NW Montana, did not have that kind of exposure to the cosmopolitan type that can be find in parts of LA! Your points are very well taken about the Scudetto's. I find myself being fairly anal about "do I wear them on the car or do I not wear them?" Then, I think, does anyone in eastern NC really care?!? Probably not, but I'd like to stay as true to the way the car should and was meant to be. Again, thanks for the nice comments about my little car.

Niels,

I'm the same way as you, I think. Rossa Corsa is gorgeous, no doubt about it. I certainly don't blame anyone for wanting or owning one that is RC. Still, when I saw my car's blue, I knew that was it...Plus, it doesn't draw the kind of attention that red would, I think. I also think my lighter blue can hide 25 year old blemishes (wrinkles from smiling alot) much better than red could. I hear you, a 288GTO must be red. Period.

Thanks guys for the good posts. Interesting stuff.

Forza Ferrari,

Dane

·
Registered
454 Posts
Andrew,

There's no doubt the 456 is gorgeous, just not as high on my list as I think yours. I still think the early GTB/GTS are spectacular. Lucky for me, I could afford one (bairly)! I think for those of us that are so heavy into Ferrari it is nice to see one that isn't red. It gives me at least, an idea of what else is out there. I do think that when non-fanatics, like us, think "Ferrari," they think it/they should be RED. I still can't believe how bright red the F1 cars were when I first saw them. Wow. The only color I've seen and thought "what the hell were they thinking?" was brown. I still wouldn't kick any Ferrari out of my garage for being brown but I would consider a paint-job and sacrifice originality.

Forza,

Dane

1 - 20 of 143 Posts