Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I am currently looking at two 348s and am at the point of having a PPI done.

One vehicle is in Phoenix. The dealer has suggested two knowledgeable people who can do the PPI. Not wanting to be too cynical, but just taking his word for it is akin to taking his word that everything is A-OK ( In all fairness, the typical issues with an 18 yr old car were mentioned - naturally, I am worried about the atypical ones ).

The other vehicle is in West Palm Beach. I am still waiting to get more info from the owner.

I would appreciate references from those who have used knowledgeable people to do PPIs in these areas. ( If there are negative experiences, please PM me).

My second question is for the 348 folks out there.

I know that the 89s used a Motronic 2.5 engine management system and after this they went to the 2.7 - what I do not know is just how significant this is? Is it a reliability or performance issue?

I do appreciate those with knowledge helping us who are trying to learn. While I want to own a Ferrari, I certainly cannot afford buy the wrong one.

Thanks,
Greg

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Hi Greg and Welcome to the site

I cannot offer recomendations for service technicians in the areas you mentioned. I own a 1993 348 Serie Speciale which was the culminatin of a 15 year dream. I chose that specific model for a few reasons including
1993 has pretty much resolved all the issue's attributted to the 348
Close ratio gearbox
twin clutch
Motronic 2.7
Handling issue's
Limited edition helped sell the wife

Regarding your concerns about the 2.5 vs. 2.7 I can't say with any conviction the 2.7 is any better. I don't think the electronic differances are really that dramatic. Its the other differances that tally up. Earlier versions had gearfbox problems, everyone knows about the cambelt issue's, and electrical systems were if'y at best. By 1993 the alternators were switched to denso units with a greater capacity and clutches were converted to single plate. It just so happens that they also upgraded te Motronic to 2.7. It is the easiest to identify and therefore the "marker" that the car is indeed the upgraded version. It may also be true that the 2.7 is far superior and I just don't know it.

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Hello All,

I am currently looking at two 348s and am at the point of having a PPI done.

One vehicle is in Phoenix. The dealer has suggested two knowledgeable people who can do the PPI. Not wanting to be too cynical, but just taking his word for it is akin to taking his word that everything is A-OK ( In all fairness, the typical issues with an 18 yr old car were mentioned - naturally, I am worried about the atypical ones ).
Greg
Suggest you PM Ferrari328GT, he is very knowledgable and located in Arizona.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Ciao and welcome

Good luck in your pursuit

Saint has stated the differences between the two, my suggestion is learn all you can about the 348 so you won't be disappointed in your purchase.

Also if the price is in the average range I suggest you look for a
93-95 GTS,GTB or Spider they come with all the upgrades including larger wheel base and extra 20 hp when you and tubi or x-ost you will be pushing close to 335 hp.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your help Gentlemen

I'll keep progress ( if it occurs ) posted.

Greg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts