Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody give any recomendation on which ferrari to buy ? The price limit is 20.000 green papers.
And please give links and references where to find if u have any thougths.
What i am looking for is not the performance itself but the shape the car is in. Like clean interior, all the ligtht/power stuff working, nothing is making noise etc. Basically the cars that keep their good condition for a long time.
Also how expensive is the insurance can be ? In canda and u.s. Like how much do you guys spend on your ferrari a month even if u are not driving it?
Thansk a lot.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Nothing is making a noise? In a Ferrari? Errr.. Ummm... Maybe you shold be looking at a Jag. :eek:

Ferraris arn't easy cars on the senses. That's why so many of us love them! The cars also require more work than most to keep them in good working order. At least the older ones do. The newer ones are more "user friendly". But you're not going to find one for less than 20K.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Yes, but I doubt you'll find one for that price. It's possible but that's on the low end. Also if you have a problem with one get out your wallet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are some 400i's that i could find on internet - the only matter is to expect those with profesional mechanic.
Just wanted to know if its reliable and how often it can break and how expensive is insurance if its v12/v8.
Thanks.

·
Registered
749 Posts
400's may be available down to that price, but the 412 is the last of those models and more expensive.

These are cheap nowadays mainly because

(a) they are 2+2's (really 4-seaters) and so are less sought after than the 2-seater models, and

(b) the "A's" (eg 400A, 400iA) are autos, and

(c) they probably look less like your typical Ferrari, being fairly large & "boxy", although still with great style,

but most importantly

(d) they run a front V12 engine that is very expensive to work on. If you spend all your money just buying one of these then IT will spend all its time in your garage. If you're on a tight budget then keep clear of such a complex car.

My suggestion: look out for 308GT4 models (1974 - 1980). They are also 2+2s, but look more like a 2-seater. They are the forerunner of the whole 308/328 series with respect to engine / gearbox / suspension / brakes / etc, and so are more reliable. They run a 3-litre V8 mid-engined and can be readily worked on by most mechanics, and they go well. They are the best overall value IMHO. Check the Models section in this site for more info.

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
It will be hard to find a $20,000 Ferrari. If you do it will need some work done on it. Realistically speaking if $20,000 is the budget and you can't fix it yourself it maybe very tuff to find. Best of luck in the search and good luck!

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Hi Artem,
I agree with recs for a 308GT4. I have researched them pretty well. Prices are currently downtrending. Very beautiful cars: I had planned on one before getting the Mondial.
Ferraris are worth the expense.
BTW, Hagerty Insurance covers me for @ 450 a year!

·
Registered
613 Posts
4kids3fish said:
Awww.
IMHO the GT4 is a fab funky beast, and it has that great carburettored V8 sound (the GTBi, QV, 328, etc are all injected).

Don't these look just great?
I'm not a fan of the Bertone style, but this car has it's charm. It's the Ferrari touch that makes me want one (and my budget :-? )!

No joking, I would go for a GT4 because it is a great car to learn Ferrari. If I come accross a 'projectcar' like this, I will take it...

·
Registered
187 Posts
4kids3fish said:
Awww.
IMHO the GT4 is a fab funky beast, and it has that great carburettored V8 sound (the GTBi, QV, 328, etc are all injected).

Don't these look just great?
I agree, I was looking at GT4's before finding my GTS a few miles away. They have their own panache and the early ones are fast!

Yes they look great! A very good entry level Ferrari. Yes, I called it a Ferrari.

I pay Hagerty 256.00 a year for my '78 GTS and that includes the Hagerty protection plan, (towing).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts