Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of the pressure-rating of the standard radiator/header-tank cap for a 328/308/348? engine? Mine needs replacing, but with what? Also if anyone knows what brand (or equivalent car models such as Fiat, etc) they are - the Ferrari caps on these motors are all a square "4-lobe" style cap whereas most other cars run a "2-lobe" style one.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Thanks for that Steve, I read the post and I was like, "Hm, I'm gonna need one of those one day." Glad you could help.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I use one from AC/Delco rated at 14 PSI. OEM for a 1987 GMC Jimmy. I also installed a surge tank on the cooling system so the car doesn't 'pee' at awkward times. The surge tank also seems to reduce the need to bleed air out of the cooling system repeatedly.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Funny, the owner's handbook says the cap is 0.9 bar but careful examination of the one fitted (genuine part) shows it stamped 1.1 bar (16psi). I also saw that the lowest sealing flange of the cap had a warp in it and so wouldn't have been able to hold proper pressure. Good - I always like to find the cause of problems!.

Anyway I couldn't find anything like it at the parts stores so it was off to Ferrari. The OEM cap they provided was an exact match with the one on the car, but the price floored me - AU$60 = US$40+ :eek: :evil:

Anyway if it stops the persistent coolant dribble it will be worth it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Even after you install the new cap on your car and top it off with coolant it will pee at least once after reaching operating tempurature. After that it should cease. .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts