Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious what the "wow" factor of Ferraris are. Could you share with us any anecdote about street people when see you are driving your Ferrari(s)? How do friends and family react to it when they come over for the first time and see you have one?

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Most people ask me if it is one of those kit cars. That's probably the most common asked question. Second most popular question is how much did it cost.

The funniest story is when some friends of my wife were coming over and bringing their 8 year old son. So I have the Ferrari out in the driveway all polished up and ready to go for a ride around the block. They pull in and when the son gets out he goes, "Wow! Is that your truck!?!" (refering to my Dodge Ram 4X4) "Can I have a ride?" So we hop in the truck and drive around the Ferrari to go for a ride around the block in the Dodge. Kind of makes you want to redefine the meaning of "cool".

·
Registered
770 Posts
Great story Pete - don't you just love kids!!!

Most common is how much did it cost - which I find really strange. I'd never ask anyone that!! Then there's the "How fast does it go" - which understandably tends to come from younger guys!!

Aside from that, the most noticeable reaction is simply people staring as I drive down the street - I live in quite a small town, and I've not seen another Ferrari here yet - so to be fair, it's not something you see every day!!

None of my family know I have it yet - as none of them have been to my place since I got it. Not going to tell my parents at this point as they're going through a house buying nightmare - and my mothers got better things to worry about than me buying something else she thinks I'll kill myself in!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Lol...kids understand size and that is attractive to them. A young boy craves power and appreciates large trucks more than many adults. They don't really have any concept of beauty. Adults definitely do and they are far more complex. So, not everyone is impressed by your Ferrari, just everyone on the planet over the age of twelve=)

·
Registered
895 Posts
I can't believe people ask you how much it cost... It just seems so impolite. Do these people have no scruples, no manners? Sheesh, what has this world come to. :-?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bazil said:
Great story Pete - don't you just love kids!!!

Most common is how much did it cost - which I find really strange. I'd never ask anyone that!! Then there's the "How fast does it go" - which understandably tends to come from younger guys!!

Aside from that, the most noticeable reaction is simply people staring as I drive down the street - I live in quite a small town, and I've not seen another Ferrari here yet - so to be fair, it's not something you see every day!!

None of my family know I have it yet - as none of them have been to my place since I got it. Not going to tell my parents at this point as they're going through a house buying nightmare - and my mothers got better things to worry about than me buying something else she thinks I'll kill myself in!!
I hear on the first point Bazil. I dont have a Ferrari, or even a car (I'm 20 today, and a college kid). But I never ask anyone about that stuff. The saying goes "If you have to ask, you prolly can't afford it". How do you respond to that question? So you say that Ferrari does get people awestruck? Do they maybe need to add alittle more to do that through the next line of models?

·
Registered
308 Posts
The Wow factors of Ferrari ownership? To me there are lots of them. As others have said, it's an attention getting car whether you like it or not. My TR nearly stops traffic sometimes, the cars do have some presence. But what I like the most is the uniqueness, the passion driven style of the cars, and the heritage and history. They are nearly mythical "shrines" of the automotive world. The car all other sports cars aspire to be like them, and they are the most targeted by other manufacturers. My TR I swear is almost alive sometimes.

After a hard day at work, my mind is numb to the point where I can't even hold an intelligent conversation. I get home, change into some comfy clothes, go out and open up the shop. There she is.....sitting quietly and just inviting me in.....flip on the shop lights and Pininfarina's handywork just glows, straight lines and curves all working together to make a simply gorgeous car. And in black the TR looks very menacing, very business-like, as if she's saying "don't mess with me". I open the door and am greated with the scent of yards of Connelly leather and wool carpets. I slide into the seat that fits me like a glove, turn the key and vroom she fires up....and settles down to a throaty idle that only 12 cylinders can do. I sit there...soaking in the sights, smells, and sounds of the car as the oil circulates through the motor. After a minute or so I ease out and gently drive down the road, letting her vital fluids come up to operating temps, like an athlete warming up his muscles. The car drives soooo nice, so tight and rattle free, the steering so precise, it makes me feel very lucky to be living what was my childhood dream, owning a Ferrari. If you have the passion, these cars are much more than just an assembly of finely crafted mechanical parts, they are an emotional experience. Oh sure, they do have their faults. But I look at Ferraris similar to a beautiful women, every rose has it's thorns. But with Ferraris it's just the way it is. You live with the little glitches because the car as a whole is sooo much more. I am very lucky to have a Ferrari !!

·
Registered
770 Posts
Westworld said:
How do you respond to that question?
I'd sometime like to be rude enough to say something like "None of your damned business. How much did your wife cost?" but after the shock of the first couple of times I usually say "More than a pound, and less than a million." they normally get the message.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
4kids3fish said:
carguy, you've got the bug bad, buddy. Enjoy your sultry mistress! 8) :D :D :eek:ha:
I agree. Should we be concerned? Hope his wife/gf (if you have one) doesn't get jealous :). Yeah, Basil, I would sure how I would react to someone asking me that kind of question if I own a Ferrari or some other kind of exotic car. I would prolly say what I said in the previous post, "If you have to ask, you problably can't afford it."

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Now guys - Carguy has it. That is the feel I get also. My car sits in the garage all winter and when I pull the cover back in the spring and put the battery in and get in, well, the smells in that car are like no other. The car is unique. When she fires up after a long winter's sleep it is awesome sounding.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Bazil said:
I usually respond to the "How much did it cost?" question with "How much do you want to give me for it?".

I've also had the "How fast does it go?"or "How much horsepower does it have?" questions which are usually followed by an explanation of why the 2002 Camaro Z28 or Mustang GT is a far superior car to my 25 year old Ferrari.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Stradale said:
That's it. I'm selling my Ferrari and getting a truck instead! :lol:
Make sure you get the 3/4 ton Dodge Ram with the High-Output Cummins Turbo Diesel and the SLT package!!

·
Registered
749 Posts
Pete, next time have the Ferrari up on the back of the Dodge - that way they can't miss it. :lol:

(or some roof lights / whoopee horn / xmas lights :green: )

Actually, I think most people think that Ferraris cost a lot more than they often do (esp the older ones). A lot probably feel a bit silly having paid much the same price for their current car as many 10-20 y.o. Ferraris.

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
carguy,

I just commissioned you to write impressions of a TR when I get to the Testarossa in the Model's of the Month section. You said it wonderfully.

·
Registered
10 Posts
4kids3fish said:
Pete, next time have the Ferrari up on the back of the Dodge - that way they can't miss it. :lol:

Actually, I think most people think that Ferraris cost a lot more than they often do (esp the older ones). A lot probably feel a bit silly having paid much the same price for their current car as many 10-20 y.o. Ferraris.
Actually I think you have a very good point here. Check the price for a decent new truck? 45,000 canadian all the way up to 65,000 for a Cruddy SUV with leather and a "im lost" button...
...I told my wife what my plan was and she was so upset that I would spend the price of a rental property on a car untill I showed her the facts. Beautiful 328 GTS red on black under 30,000 KMS for 60,000. So she is cool now! YES!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
donk_316 said:
4kids3fish said:

Actually I think you have a very good point here. Check the price for a decent new truck? 45,000 canadian all the way up to 65,000 for a Cruddy SUV with leather and a "im lost" button...
...I told my wife what my plan was and she was so upset that I would spend the price of a rental property on a car untill I showed her the facts. Beautiful 328 GTS red on black under 30,000 KMS for 60,000. So she is cool now! YES!
Aren't maintance costs and gas costs pretty pricey though? That warranty is an attractive piece of the puzzle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Westworld said:
Aren't maintance costs and gas costs pretty pricey though? That warranty is an attractive piece of the puzzle.
Funny I can take that both ways...Gas and maintance on what? The Ferrari or the SUV? Ever tried to get something fixed under warranty? the beautiful part about warranty is they are designed to not be used. They wouldnt be offering a warranty if it didnt suit there best interest. Funny how everything breaks just as the warranty ends. there is a reason to this!

Look into consumer electronics and their warranties. Its a lot easier to see.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I own a 208 GTS 1982 and one time i was visiting a garage to get some parts when one of the meccanics from that Rover garage saw the ferrari, run over the street, open the door to look inside, didn't saw my wife in the passengers seat and the guy said surprised to himself loudup, its a real one, then he noticed my wife, made some excuses and left again.He tought is was an Pontiac Fiero/ ferrari.
Another thing i see everytime i'm on the road is you can see people saying "look an FERRARI" you can see the word Ferrari comming from there mouths.
And then always the same questions, who much cost it.

And then the women, they smile at me but only when i'm driving the Ferrari, never when i drive the VW break, its funny.
I think you can get every woman with an Ferrari, but once you get her i'm afraid she makes you sell the Ferrari because the car is competition to her. So my advice; if a woman wants you because of your Ferrari, don't have her or you loose the Ferrari. And never tell her you love the Ferrari more then her, this can cost you some headlights.....(i read this somewhere).

I own different cars but the Ferrari is unique and the only car i have whith is not for sale.

Attached a picture...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 55 Posts