Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a few questions regarding 348 ownership and would like to know if any previous or current 348 owners could answer them:

1)I went to a Ferrari dealership to find out about timing belts. They told me they need to be changed around every 30,000 miles, and the cost to work on them would be $7,500. Does anyone have any information different from this or knowledge of where I could have such work done for a lower price? I want to know if this is a fair price or not, considering that this was a Ferrari dealership.

2)If I am not mistaken, Ferrari 348s produced prior to 1994 tend to lack power-steering, and if this is true, does this create a problem for anyone?

Thanks again, I appreciate it.

Alexander

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Hi Alexander,
If you find an independant garage that works on Ferraris you may be able to shave a couple of thousand off the price of the service. Find a guy you are comfortable with.

I didn't think any of the 348s came with power steering. My 308 doesn't have it. Kind of a pain in the butt for parking lot maneuvers, but over 20 mph the road feel is awesome.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
348 Information

Thanks for your input, Pete. All I need to find out now is where I can find a good Ferrari mechanic in New York, which is where I will be living in a few years. I will continue to browse the forum and will see if the Local Ferrari Owners' club has any information on that.

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
I am with Pete, I don't think any of the 348s came with power sterring as standard. It will be a bit heavy at low speed and parking will be a good workout but otherwise not an issue. In fact I personally perfer the non-assisted sterring of the older models to the very light and a bit vague steering that was fitted to the F355 which I used to own.

You should be able to find a good independant garage which can do the belts for a lot less than $7500.

In terms of a NY area mechanic, there are a number in CT, NY, and NJ. Suggest you also post the question on www.tomyang.net as Tom has a large number of NY area members.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts