Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can any body tell me what the letters (S,F) stand for in the Ferrari Shield? I have an idea, but i just want to be sure. I already know the story behind the prancing horse, I just would like to find out what the letters mean. Thanks.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Welcome aboard!
Lots of knowledgeable folks here, me not being one of them. :wink:

But, the answer which you seek is;
Scuderia Ferrari

Any more questions someone here will know the answer!

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Barchetta said:
Correct if I'm wrong here, but Scuderia Ferrari translate to Stable of Ferraris, and refers to the Formula 1 team. I think.
I've never heard this. See above post in the FAQ post. Scuderia means shield or shield of arms more exact.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Barchetta said:
Correct if I'm wrong here, but Scuderia Ferrari translate to Stable of Ferraris, and refers to the Formula 1 team. I think.
I've heard that before.

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
It is what the raceteam used on their car. But the italian translation IS NOT THIS. Race is Corsa (hence rosso corsa). Scuderia is "shield or arms"

There is an Italian lad that post on here. Lets hope he sees this.

·
Registered
218 Posts
IIRC The 'stable' refered to the early race team's practice of attracting private indivudals to 'invest' in the team and thus join together in the "ferrari stable" ??

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Before motor racing, horse racing was the sport - the sport of kings!! "Owners" have stable of horses. So when motor racing started, team owners carry the usage of the word to denote their teams. Teams would mean a cricket team or rugby team, where a group of people get together to play a sport and everyone is a 'member' of the team. Whereas in motor racing, only the driver and his car is involved, the other people are just mechanics- paid employees. They were not considered part of the team. So if the rich owner has more than one car then, he has a stable of race cars.

·
Registered
383 Posts
i've heard quite a few ppl mention to me that scuderia ferrari does mean "ferrari stable". In fact i think it was also mentioned in the "50 yrs of ferrari" DVD-video. Have to re check my sources.

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
If you have an Italian to English program you'll note that "scudo" translates into 'shield' while mine doesn't have 'scuderia' I believe Scuderia is a derivative of 'scudo'

·
Registered
36 Posts
The Italian/English dictionary listed below defines Scuderia as Stable or Team.

I have always understood the meaning as Team. I have sometimes seen reference to "Stabilimento Scuderia Ferrari" which I have always understood to refer to Ferrari Factory Team. Stabilimento = Factory.

"Scuderia Ferrari" has always been somewhat confusing to most of us as independent cars might carry the SF shield during some races?

The root word may well be Scudo = shield: which would have identified one "house" durning past times.

http://www.wordreference.com./

Hope this helps rather than hinders the discussion,
Best wishes

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
SF means Scuderia Ferrari wich means racing stable ferrari and that was used in by Enzo on his racing team when he still worked for Alfa Romeo so that same emblem was already used on his racing Alfa's

·
Registered
36 Posts
The SF on the Ferrari shield:

Click here: Scuderia Ferrari - encyclopedia article about Scuderia Ferrari. Free access, no registration needed. What does Scu

Hope the above link works?

The total story?

The prancing horse came from:
Click here: Cover of the Museum Francesco Baracca

The yellow background color came from: scroll down to Ferrari emblem
Click here: ITALIA - Italian Design - Cars and scooters
Click here: http://www.users.qwest.net/~hrellis/Ferrari.htm

The tricolor at the top of the shield represents the official colors of Italy
Green, White and Red

Best wishes

·
Registered
36 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would just like to point out that the word 'stable' is also used in other langaues to define a motorsport racing team.

For example in French all F1 teams (or LeMans or even CART) are called 'ecuries' (stables). McLaren is a 'stable', Williams is a 'stable', Penske is a 'stable' in French...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have always understood that "Scuderia Ferrari" is best translated as "Team Ferrari". I have a good friend that lived in Italy for a few years (and happens to be a Ferrari enthusiast). He verified the Team Ferrari translation.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I, too, have always understood scuderia to mean team: however, we may be over-ruled by the weight of the evidence.

I posted several sites above, one of which is a definition of Scuderia Ferrari which indicates that the proper definition as Ferrari Stable.

The above posts with sites was done to show that the the entire shield may be read.

The Prancing Horse is the recognized symbol of Ferrari, the background color is the color of the city of Modena, the tri-colors are the colors of Italy and the SF identifies the car bearing the shield as of the Ferrari Stable.

If you had a postal code, you could almost send a letter with the shield as your address. Ferrari, Modena, Italy attention Scuderia Ferrari.

The official Ferrari site makes a difference between the Scuderia Ferrari shield and the Ferrari badge.

In one portion of their site you will be directed to Scuderia Ferrari (racing information) if you click on the shield, and to production cars if you click on the badge.

The following site also has some interesting information about the definition of Scuderia along with the shield and other stuff.

http://www.thescuderia.net/ferrarifaq.shtml

Best wishes

1 - 20 of 21 Posts